Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What are your markmanship standards?

I went for practice today, did reasonable, for me. 170gr PB @ 1400 from 336. Sitting but offhand set the scope to 4x and tried acquiring the target quickly (like running pig hunting) @ 50, jack the lever and repeat - 4 rounds in the tube. Can't stand or fire faster than 1/sec. at this range. IMO I need to practice this more.
    edit: Don - how do you get those clays to act like dove? They come right at you, turn for a passing shot. You get a lead on them and then when you pull the trigger, they put on the airbrake and flare. Darn. Today's target.
    Attachment 179484
    Last edited by popper; 10-26-2016 at 03:57 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    If you flock with turkeys your standards will differ than if you soar with eagles. One thing I have learned....if you want to improve your performance, hang around and shoot with better shooters and those who compete.

Short story. My buddies wife is into dog trials. At the higher level these trials are done with live birds that are released with a type of sling shot. The birds are released and shot. I was invited by my buddy to help him do the shooting. BTW both of us shoot trap competitively. At the end of the trial the organizers were astounded. They had never had a trial where no bird was wounded or lost. You can imagine how important it is for each handler and their dog to get a clean kill. If the bird is not hit, they must have a do over and that can have a negative affect. A wounded bird presents a different challenge than a dead one.

They were so appreciative we each got a $50 gift certificate for Cabela's and they wanted us to come to their next major trial. Many handlers smiled and chatted with us as we put away our guns because none had a false start. I never did it again....after the first dozen birds it felt like murder.

Don Verna

Banned

Off hand with my Swede at 100 yards.Attachment 179482 3 shots.
    Off hand SBH at 100. 3 shots. Attachment 179483
    Not today, it goes away, my targets grew wings and legs and run all over the place.

Boolit Master
    the AQT qualifier is a great test to determine your competency level behind a rifle these are the Appleseed qualifier print and hang at 25meters 82 feet

Stage 1. fire 10 rounds mag in 2 minutes standing

Stage 2. 10 rounds loaded 2 and 8 fired from sitting , but start standing unloaded and at the beginning of 55 seconds transition to sitting load and fire 2 then 8 rounds

Stage 3. 10 rounds loaded 2 and 8 fire from prone , but start standing unloaded , at the beginning of 65 seconds transition to prone load and fire 2 then 8

stage 4. 10 rounds one mag start prone and loaded 5 minute stage 4 counts for double points

under 125 seek help get good instruction
    125 to 169 "marksman" back to the basics drills , finding NPOA natural point of aim, breathing , position ,squeezing the trigger

170 to 209 "sharp shooter" your almost there figure out whats holding you back , check your positions , practice to get npoa faster ,practice

210 or higher " expert/rifleman" keep practicing it is a perishable skill if have it all right you should be able to repeat this and be at or very close to rifleman every time barring malfunction

stage 1 http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.p...0;attach=12600

stage 2,3,4 http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.p...0;attach=12601

if only everyone was marksman or higher
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Minute of hog, minute of man if need be.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    To hit where and what you want within the capability of the gun every time .that's not me but I'm working on it.

Boolit Grand Master

My skill with a rifle was much better before the doctor limited me to shooting off a Leadsled. The last Washington's Birthday match I shot in I did better than about 2/3 of the shooters. The range was 200 yards, various positions. I'm a lefty and used my Remington 1903a3 with cast boolits at about 1,600 fps, no optics. I was competing against some shooters who were using AR15s with optics and shot matches regularly. I did fire the best score on my squad but don't recall what it was. I felt like I did very good that day.
    I generally like to shoot my hunting rifles off the Leadsled into groups less than 2" at 100 yards and strive for 1" or less. If I can do 3" off standing I am pleased. Over 5" and I kick myself and practice more.
    Now that age is determining my ability to shoot I carry either a tripod with V yoke to a stand, or collapsible shooting sticks when walking.
    With a revolver I like to shoot less than 3" at 50 yards off a rest and with my Encore/Contenders less than 2" at 100 yards off a rest. With the Encore/Contenders in the field, prone, bipod, 3" at 100 is good.

Boolit Master
    I'd be happy with hitting the side of a barn from inside the barn!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Off hand.
    Seen him do it. It was actually over his shoulder holding a mirror, but he hates to brag

Boolit Grand Master

10 shots, 1 mile, one hole, offhand w/ a 25mph crosswind. Anything less and you can't shoot worth a lick

Boolit Buddy
    Rifle shooting is a skill, Pistol shooting is an art.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

Boolit Buddy

Yep! Put all bullets through the same hole.

Minute of rock, across the river, smoke is an indication of a good hit....

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

One hundred yards with center fire rifle, off a rest, .223 cal, 5 shot group, never more than 5 to 8 thousands over caliber.

Fifty Yards with rimfire .22, off a rest, 5 shot group, about the same.

Handgun whether a target model or just a 45 auto, single hold 25 or 50 yards, doesn't matter, 5 rounds anywhere on the target or backer, is really something!!!!!

Offhand with most any of my rifles at 70 yards, hits of clay pigeon 9 or 10 out of 10.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have observed some very skilled shooters . I don't consider myself to be one .
    A competent shooter should be able to shoot their choice of arms to some minimum standard suited to the arm . In a perfect world a bedroom gun ought to shoot 12" or less at however far the longest shot would be in your situation. If you live in a 12 by 70 trailer you ought to be able to do it at 25 yd . A hunting pistol well that's a broad street to cross let's stick with it being 30 cal plus and over 1.285 long in a whatever platform as a minimum 1" per 10 yd for your group . Obviously if you shoot a 460 , 45-70 or 500 and plan on trying a 200 yd antelope you need to be a better shooter .
    Rifles ,this becomes a train wreck . For this I'm calling a 14" single shot 30-30 a rifle even if it is a contender pistol. 2" per 100 yd give or take for your rifle . Obviously you can't expect a 4" group at 200 yd from a rifle that will only give you 3 " at 100. This assumes that you have a 1 inch rifle from a lead sled and you can earnestly shoot 3" at 100 , 5 @200 ,7@300 etc from a decent rest .

Pistol cal carbine is a mess too. I have a 460 smith carbine coming it's really a rifle and the Colts carbine and rifle literally go sideways beyond 75 yd so I'd hold those to half the hunting pistol .

Skilled I would half the above standards and half it again for expert but from all positions.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

All I know is a high master is the cream of the crop and he can keep 10 rounds inside of 4" with the majority inside of 3.5" at 50 yards, standing on his hind legs one-handed. At 25 yards he can keep all 10 rounds within 3.3" with the majority within 2" - this off his hind legs, one handed shooting 5-shot relays in 20 and 10 seconds.

There was a time when that 25 yard stuff was pretty much child's play but that 50 yard shooting was a tad beyond my ability.

To my way of thinking anyone holding a consistent 4 inch 5 shot group at 100 yards off-hand with a rifle is a fine marksmen and holding a consistent 3 to 4 inch group off hand at 25 yards with a handgun is doing fine.

Shooting from a bench, if one is an experienced shooter and handles the firearm well, he should be able to shoot close to the firearms capability with a proper trigger and sufficient powered scope. If using iron sights, he's shooting his best average group, which can be impressive, none the less. There are firearms that are much more capable than others.

We all have wiggled & wobbled just perfectly for a group or two in our lives and for some - they believe that particular group is what they can shoot on a "good" day - maybe, but I'm doubtful, unless they only have 1 to 3 good days in their entire life.

Boolit Master
    10 out of 10 X ring, 500 yards, open iron sights. Anything less and I am P.O.'d at myself.
    Uh, like I'm calling BS, man, unless you are resting it against a tree, and it's daytime!
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Grand Master

I used to think I was a good shooter, until I shot with people who really are good.

It took me years to get to USPSA Revolver B Class. And that is the bottom edge of B. It is pretty humbling to come off a stage thinking, "Man! I really nailed that one." Then watch a Grand Master do it in half the time with more points.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I can generally shoot a 1/2" at any reasonable range with my 50 cal muzzleloader as long as I have a big target and only shoot one shot!

Im primarily a hunter. All my practice is from field positions. I don't consider myself to be a really good shot but while I won't take a shot that I'm not just pretty sure I can make. However I generally need a very small window of opportunity to get a shot.
    Calling coyotes has taught me a lot about small windows of opportunity.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Perma-Banned

M-14, prone, 20 minute timed fire. Beautiful day, no wind.
    I wish Rick
    No mirror, used the reflection off the observers mirror shades.

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast