Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: Paper patching question

Boolit Buddy

Paper patching question

I have plans for a 358 Win in the near future and I am considering paper patching for it. My only interest is making a suitable hunting load for a min of 200 yds. I am curious how you keep a paper patched boolit from getting accidentally set back or falling out in rough field conditions if it's only seated with light thumb pressure?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Banned

very slight taper crimp.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    very slight taper crimp.
    Which taper crimp die do you suggest for a 358 Win? Most of the dies I see have a roll crimp not seeing a taper crimp die seater combo with any of the common makers. You can get a Lee FCD would that work if used lightly?

In the 358 Win, I treat patched bullets like jacketed ones. Use the same dies, with a Lyman M die to flare the mouth. They feed through the magazine and work just like jacketed. The 358 makes an excellent PP shooter, BTW. Also, Win 748 in the proper amount will keep the bullet from dropping into the case anyhow, since it is a 100% load.

-Nobade

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    In the 358 Win, I treat patched bullets like jacketed ones. Use the same dies, with a Lyman M die to flare the mouth. They feed through the magazine and work just like jacketed. The 358 makes an excellent PP shooter, BTW. Also, Win 748 in the proper amount will keep the bullet from dropping into the case anyhow, since it is a 100% load.

-Nobade
    Interesting I made my own M Die of sorts to .357 and I'm currently sizing my boolits to .3585. The neck being that undersized won't compress the paper and cause issues?

Banned

i use a lyman taper crimp die. i think that ppb cartridge building is a unique process, as i've recently experienced for the first time. much to learn and experimentation is at the process core. you do what needs to be done to both build an acceptable cartridge, and then modify as need be to achieve consistent accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by aarolar View Post
    Interesting I made my own M Die of sorts to .357 and I'm currently sizing my boolits to .3585. The neck being that undersized won't compress the paper and cause issues?

It should work, but your rifle will tell you. If it doesn't you can always go a touch bigger on the expander to find the right tension.

-Nobade

Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i use a lyman taper crimp die. i think that ppb cartridge building is a unique process, as i've recently experienced for the first time. much to learn and experimentation is at the process core. you do what needs to be done to both build an acceptable cartridge, and then modify as need be to achieve consistent accuracy.
    Right on! We're in the realm of craftsmanship here, not just mass production like so much other things related to shooting.

-Nobade

In Remembrance

I have found that with a LEE factory crimp die I can carefully straighten out the flare on the case mouth and add a crimp slightly if necessary.Robert