WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing a snap in a piece of leather

Boolit Master

Installing a snap in a piece of leather

Anybody here capable of replacing a thumb snap? I have a WWII USMC KABAR knife- early war leather sheath that is in wonderful condition aside from the fact that the snap in the retaining strap is broken. I never messed with such a thing and don't want to learn on this piece. The snap needs to be removed and replaced with one that "blends in". I would really really prefer not to replace the whole strap if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Grand Master
    That is a easy-peasy thing to do. How close to Essex, MD are you? There is a Tandy Leather Store there that I am sure could fix you up with a Local Leather crafter that can Take care of it for you for a nominal fee. I'd do it for nothing, but I am in California.

What needs to be done is to remove any remaining bits or pieces of the old snap and rivet a new one on. Unless the leather has rotted, this is an easy task.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

They sell some online really cheap with a kit to stage the rivet to size and hold both sides of the clips together. Just need a hammer besides the kit... If you want to try that option

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I am no stranger to making/stitching leather goods. I just never did this. Essex, MD isn't far as the crow flies but an eternal hour's worth of nasty traffic away nonetheless. I would cheerfully reward any of y'all handsomely to do this little task for me! (Last I heard, the mailman goes to California!)

Boolit Master

Any fabric store or craft store like JoAnn's, HAncock, Michael's etc. should have a snap kit. They come with a snap-halves, and a little anvil and punch. I second rintinglen, it is very easy to do.
    Don't be afraid. The kits are inexpensive and handy to have around. I use mine several times a year.

Bulldogger

I bought a snap kit in a TrueValue hardware store. I've used it with no prior leather experience and it works great, don't be afraid to try it. I've since used the kit on a holster, jacket, and other things, handy to have around.

Boolit Grand Master

The problem is that any new snap will be new brass. Ageing it is a challenge.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

If you can't find someone local I can do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be happy to help as well. There are "antique" snaps available in brass and nickel but it is just a colored finish.
    Any pics of the sheath?

Boolit Master
    Pics:

[URL=http://s481.photobucket.com/user/gnoahhh/media/002_zpsg4zfsxv7.jpg.html][/UR
    Last edited by gnoahhh; 10-25-2016 at 09:56 PM.

I think BangerJim did aging of metal parts, you might PM/Email to get an idea of a solution to age brass
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Diameter of snap button: .6"

I'm thinking rubbing with moistened black powder to give it an instant patina.

Boolit Buddy
    Aging brass is easy, gnoahhh you got it but make sure to not let the mixture sit too long. There are also chemicals that do the job too. Your fix shouldn't be too bad but I understand your apprehension. Is the female part of the snap there? If so hiding/aging the male part isn't so critical. Good luck
    Domari Nolo

Banned

It is very easy and I always keep a bag of snaps around. I have holsters that had Velcro, worst ever in the woods so I put snaps on them.
    BP is not good to age, you need BP fouling. Burn it first and add water. They sell stuff to age brass but I don't have the name. I still have some of it.

Boolit Master

I have some "Pull the Dot" black matte military snaps and the tools to do this. I am moving this weekend, but if you PM me for my address I can handle it for you free of charge my friend when I get to my new house.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Just order "antique look" new brass buttons. When you do get the "kit" so you have the right tools to install them.

Moderator Emeritus

I picked up a couple different size snap kits from Tandy when they had a sale. Slowly collecting leather working tools as I can afford it. I want to get a bunch of stamps and carving tools next...

Boolit Master

I have all the tools for this if you don't find anything/anyone local. Send me a PM if you want me to do it for you.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

The nice thing about this repair is that you might only have to replace the male portion of the snap.

Boolit Master

When a snap fails, it's usually the cap. It leaves the bottom part around the stud, but I replace both anyway since it usually signals there is alot of wear and tear happening. Of course, sometimes it's just that the snap was just installed wrong or bad material. Recently we received a bunch of flotation vest with bad snaps, some were broke out of the package. I bought the handheld kit when I made a cover for my tri-hull boat, great for standard snaps and installs a tight snap. The handheld one is great, but their dies are proprietary and I have only found the three originals. I finally got a press when I started working on some tarps, much thicker material, and with the press I can also do larger grommets and a wider variety of snaps.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Press Snap.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	179513
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gm1-02.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	179514
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~