Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Trail Boss vs Tin Star

Boolit Bub

Trail Boss vs Tin Star

Was looking for TB the other day, but could only find some Tin Star... I didn't buy it because I don't know a thing about it, other than it is Vihtavuori's answer to Trail Boss. What are the similarities, and where do those similarities end?
    My primary use is reduced rifle loads in 30-30, 303B and 30-06, both cast and j-word.
    I would have bought Red Dot instead but it is just as scarce.
    Searching was not very successful, but I didn't try real hard, either... I've been too busy at work to dedicate enough time to it.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    They have roughly the same burnrate.
    They have roughly the same energy per volume.

So in short they are interchangeable.

They do not however have the same volume!
    TinStar is @1/3 less fluffy and only occupies 2/3 the volume of TrailBoss grain for grain, so if not carefull you can overload and get into pressure trouble.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    They do not however have the same volume!
    TinStar is @1/3 less fluffy and only occupies 2/3 the volume of TrailBoss grain for grain, so if not carefull you can overload and get into pressure trouble.
    That is really good to know... thanks! I guess I need to start looking for some reliable data for Tin Star, looks like it will make a good substitute as long as I pay attention.

Boolit Master
    I bought 10lbs of Tin Star to replace my IMR SR7625 (now defunct). Hell, I couldn't pass it up; I found it on line at (get this) $15.99/Lb.

I like the stuff, I've only used it in loads (so far) in handgun, it's very clean, and I'm getting the same velocities / accuracy with .1 to .3grs less powder than my favorite SR7625 loads.

It's larger granules than 7625 and is "a little catchy" in my Harrell, but it's not really a problem.

I don't know about it's use in your cartridges though without looking them up.

Here's a link to Vihtavouri's load data, I could look in their manual to see if it's listed for your caliber for you, but I'm at work now.

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...reloading.html
    Last edited by PbHurler; 10-25-2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Too stupid to fully read the O.P.
    Bob

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by PbHurler View Post
    I don't know about it's use in your cartridges though without looking them up.

Here's a link to Vihtavouri's load data, I could look in their manual to see if it's listed for your caliber for you, but I'm at work now.

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/reloadi...reloading.html
    I saw that page, unfortunately their online data tables don't list my calibers for Tin Star/N32C. The only caliber I own that shows any data for N32C is .44 Magnum, but mine is a Ruger Deerfield and is not recommended for reduced or cast loads. If their manuals list other data I'd love to see it... I'm not experienced or confident enough yet to start experimenting on my own.

Boolit Master
    Unfortunately, the 4th Edition Vihtavuori manual does not list N32C in 30-30, '06 or 303B. Only their powders for "standard" velocity loads.

Tin star was in fact, Vihtavuori's powder offering for cowboy action shooters. Whether or not VV will pursue / test usage in "rifle" calibers is yet to be seen. (I'm doubtful)

Unfortunately, without having published data from VV, you'd truly be venturing into "handloading" to use Tin Star in your calibers.

Maybe someone here has experience with this powder in "rifle" calibers & will chime in.

("Mr. Gibson to the white courtesy phone")
    Bob