Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: S&W Mdl 52 and Lyman 358495

Boolit Buddy

S&W Mdl 52 and Lyman 358495

Anyone shooting the Lyman 358495 in a S&W Mdl 52-2? I have tried that boolit but have trouble with the length in the magazine. If I seat the boolit to the edge of the full diameter it leaves the tit raised a little, interfering with the oal in the mag. Any one trie shooting the boolit upside down? Any suggestions other than change boolit
    Bullshot
    Bob
    You make your own reputation. No one makes it for you.
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy

Have you tried loading that boolit in 38 long colt cases?

Moderator Emeritus

When Joe Foster designed the Model 52 (He also designed the Models 39 & 59), it was designed to shoot only .38 Wadcutters that are seated flush with the case, which was "the round" of the day for bullseye shooting. Bullseye matches were all the rage during that time, and flush seated wadcutters could be had from just about any store that carried ammunition.

You'll have to seat any bullet for that pistol flush with the case mouth, with a slight roll crimp.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: I spent two days sitting across the workbench from Joe Foster in 1978, while we replaced parts in our department's 600+ Model 59's. He had been retired for a number of years, but S&W brought him back to fix some feeding problems with the early 59's.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I had a similar button nosed wadcutter some years ago. If I seated it to a overall length of 1.185 it would feed in any of my model 52 magazines. There was just a hint of the front driving band ahead of the case mouth. Have you checked the overall length of your cases and trimmed them to 1.150 if they are much longer than that.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by johniv View Post
    Have you tried loading that boolit in 38 long colt cases?
    Have not. Pistol was designed for 38 Special wad cutters. Have 358495 mold so trying to use that boolit
    Bullshot
    Bob
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    I had a similar button nosed wadcutter some years ago. If I seated it to a overall length of 1.185 it would feed in any of my model 52 magazines. There was just a hint of the front driving band ahead of the case mouth. Have you checked the overall length of your cases and trimmed them to 1.150 if they are much longer than that.
    Have not measured cases. I'll try that, As above mentioned I have a 358495 4 banger and would like to utilize that boolit.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master
    I would suggest you cast a few and make up a half dozen dummy rounds... try them in the gun to see if they cycle. If yes, question answered. If not, seat a little deeper in the case until body of bullet is totally flush with the case mouth. If they still won't seat, that bullet won't work, but I would be surprised if that were the case. I seem to remember some of my friends using that bullet in a Model 52, but that was many years ago.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    The important point is that the pistol is designed for wadcutters, but not wadcutters like you are using. Other than ordinary methods may be required to make it functional.

Boolit Grand Master
    In the one I shot, you had to have that boolit seated slightly below ( like five or ten thousandths) the edge of the brass in order to get it to feed.
    A better solution is to trim the Brass to 1.145 inches
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    The important point is that the pistol is designed for wadcutters, but not wadcutters like you are using. Other than ordinary methods may be required to make it functional.
    I believe you are correct.
    Bullshot
    Bob
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Buddy

[QUOTE=Green Frog;3820766]I would suggest you cast a few and make up a half dozen dummy rounds... try them in the gun to see if they cycle. If yes, question answered. If not, seat a little deeper in the case until body of bullet is totally flush with the case mouth. If they still won't seat, that bullet won't work, but I would be surprised if that were the case. I seem to remember some of my friends using that bullet in a Model 52, but that was many years ago.

Froggie, I have tried that. In order to stack in the mag the full diameter has to be seated below the mouth of the case and won't function that wa
    Bullshot
    Bob
    NRA Benefactor

Boolit Grand Master
    In that case, I'd look on flea-Bay for a 2, 4 or 6 cavity example of Lyman's double ended wadcutter and never look back! Sometimes you've just got to cut your losses and move on.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Bullshot;
    It's been a number of years since I owned a Model 52 (great pistol, by the way). I have a six cavity original H&G #251 double ended wadcutter that was designed for that pistol. However, I also have a four cavity original H&G for the button nosed wadcutter (#50BB). It is quite similar to your Lyman wadcutter except mine has a beveled base (hence the "BB" in the model number).

If I had your problem, the first thing I would do is seat the bullet "backwards" with the button nose in the case. Make the overall length to suit your seating needs. I would taper crimp (light crimp). I'm betting it will work just fine.

Many knowledgeable NRA Bullseye shooters who cast their own bullets, often seated their double ended wadcutters backwards so the "base" of the bullet would be perfect. Where the sprue cut is made often slightly distorts the bullet base (the steering end of the bullet) so most reliable accuracy was obtained with a "backwards" bullet. Cosmetically, the loaded round is a bit ugly with the sprue showing but who cares if it shoots better, huh?!

I would assemble a few and see how they work. I'm betting that they will do just fine and will shoot to NRA Bullseye standards.

The bonus is you won't have to buy another mold.

Let us know how it works.

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master
    If you are still creating dummy rounds, seat a few of your boolits upside-down so the base (either beveled or square) is flush with the case mouth. I know this sounds all wrong, but it may lead you to finding the answer you need.

Thin Man