Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Second buck I've ever seen hunting and I didn't/couldn't shoot it

@Kmac I don't know about you, but if I am out hunting, I am hunting, not bird watching for some BS reason. And I shoot at running deer from any angle.[/QUOTE]

Enjoying the beauty around you is not a BS reason. Wounding a deer from any angle is BS. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    You did the EXACT RIGHT thing in that situation. VERY SUCCESSFUL HUNT!!! Congratulations, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Never, ever, ever EVER, shoot at a brown fuzzy patch or anything else that you cannot positively identify as as a legitimate target! That is a good way to kill someONE! Thank you for not taking the shot.
    I knew a young evangelist that was deer hunting for the first time. He heard something in the brush and saw something brown and what he thought were horns. Took a shot and killed the guy that he was hunting with. I don't think he has ever got over it. The guy he killed was actually the son of the preacher of the church that he was having the revival at.
    The preacher of the church did not press charges and took him under his wing after that but it was a bad situation.
    I always make sure that I absolutely know what I am shooting at and what is behind it.
    Better to not take the shot than to have a tragedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    I've never been able to understand the idea of shooting "at movement" or brown spot - just too dangerous. You did right by not taking the shot.

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on not taking the shot. The next time you have the chance to look at a deer, mentally put a 6" square over the animal and move it around. You will see a lot of bad shot placements and only a few good ones. I was hunting on one place where the owner wanted the does and spikes removed, he had worked with the Texas game dept to come up with the numbers. I saw several deer one morning at first light. I had enough light to make a clean shot but not enough to tell if the animal had horns or not. I'm not fast enough to pull the trigger then realize that I made a mistake and grab the bullet as it leaves the barrel. Hearing bullets go by at close range is not something I want to experience. Once again good on you.

Boolit Master
    If I may suggest, learn to shoot with your scope with both eyes open. This way you are able to identify what part of the animal your cross hairs are on. My Grandfather taught me this and it really does work.

I understand all your second guessing but y made the correct decision in this instance.

I applaud you for not shooting at an unknown part of a deer. They can run a long ways when not hit in a vital area. I have lost wounded deer and it is not a good feeling.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all of your replies... makes me feel better about my choice.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

My first season deer hunting(age 14) I killed a 6 point and a spike. I was the best hunter in the world! For the next seven seasons I never got a decent/ safe shot at a buck and does weren't allowed. But I enjoyed every single hunt soaking up the beauty of nature that God blessed us with. My dad taught me early on that you can't take that bullet back once you let it fly. I would gladly go hunting with you any time anywhere. You have proven yourself, sir. Best, Thomas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12