MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beeswax/crisco lube

Beeswax/crisco lube

I havent dont much in the way of experimenting with lube. I made a simple lube with beeswax and crisco in about 2:1 for pan lubing. Seems to work good for 357, 38, and 45 auto. I am in need of more lube presently.... Is there any reason to try something different for 44 magnum and 30-30?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    It should work fine. I use 50-50 myself.

For high velocity, over 2000 fps rifle loads use 1:4 ATF and beexwax. No Crisco. Shelf life is better too.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 10-23-2016 at 10:32 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

I use 60-40-10 the 10 being lanolin as my black-powder lube.
    every now and then I have to re-melt it and add a little more Crisco. [like in 2 years]
    but it would work fine in many other applications.
    I know it helps accuracy when thinly rubbed on the nose of many of my long bore riders.

Boolit Master
    Read the Crisco label where it lists the ingredients VERY carefully.
    My wife uses it for cooking, and it says "Salt".

Boolit Master
    yeah most commercial lards, and lard subs have salt in them... salt in a barrel leads to rust... Now IF you can find tallow for sale, OR if you know how to make your own tallow then tallow and beeswax works well. If you need it a bit softer still you can melt the mix and add in just a wee little bit of a non-salted oil like peanut, canola, or olive. Too much and the lube will be too soft and will melt in the summer.

God Bless, and One Love.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    Unsalted Crisco is available , I got a lb of it to mix up with bee's wax , plus a little bit of this and that , olive oil , lanolin ,a crayon ............

I didnt know that crisco had, or may have salt. I'll definitely look and find some without salt. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

My mixture is the emmerts improved version and it works well for most. 50% beeswax, 40% unsalted crisco, 5% canola oil, and 5% anahydrous lanolin. Pan lubes good and does very well. for a harder lube more beeswax for softer more crisco or canola oil. I have in a bind used unsalted lard or tallows but if not rendered correctly they can get rancid.

Boolit Master
    I started out 50:50 beef tallow and beeswax. Softer, more tallow, harder, more beeswax.

I pour it into small tubs, like one pound butter or margarine; and stick them in the freezer. That makes it easier to add one or the other.

Well... I have some serious leading using this lube with 44 mag loads. I mean, heavy leading from forcing cone all the way to muzzle. No biggy, just scrub it out, and start using gas checked bullets. I do have a slight tight spot at the threads it appears, When I slugged my bore. But it dont seem real bad. My cylinder throats are all larger than bullet diameter of .429.

I'll probably shy away from this lube soon as I get a lubesizer, and try something that would be better suited to 30-30 and 44 mag.

Banned

it ain't the lube that is the problem.
    .429 is your issue try 430-431.
    they might make it past the tight spot a bit better.

If I was pan lubing pistol bullets I think I would give tumble lube a try. Not saying it is "better" lube, just that if it works it is a whole lot faster. And it does work to the satisfaction of many people even in magnum rounds.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    it ain't the lube that is the problem.
    .429 is your issue try 430-431.
    they might make it past the tight spot a bit better.
    Okay, will do, thank you sir.

I tumble lube rifle bullets, It works okay. But it dont care for it either really.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    If I was pan lubing pistol bullets I think I would give tumble lube a try. Not saying it is "better" lube, just that if it works it is a whole lot faster. And it does work to the satisfaction of many people even in magnum rounds.

Boolit Master
    Hmmm. Never gave any thought to salt in Crisco. Been shooting my RB exclusively with black powder and Emmerts (50-40-10 Beeswax-Crisco-Canola oil) for almost ten years and not a speck of rust.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Perma-Banned
    There must be 2 Types of Crisco? I just checked my Crisco Can, the can i have is fairly new, it is called 'Crisco Vegetable' and does NOT show salt anywhere in the ingredients? I have used this stuff to Season Cast iron Skillets after FULLY stripping them to bare gray cast, i have Cast iron Pans hanging in my basement that were stripped and Re Seasoned a few years ago, they look brand new. If any salt were present it would have shown up long before now

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Real die hard black powder shooters around here use Goya Manteca instead of Crisco in their BP lube. This is an UNSALTED, filtered and refined HOG LARD product used in Mexican cooking. You can buy it at any grocery store. It does not require refrigeration and my experience has been that the 50-50 Beeswax-Manteca, what we call Confederate Army Lube, does not spoil or turn rancid as quickly as Crisco does. Then there are those fellows who want to be sure to use a pig lard product to make sure that any Jihadi terrorists they shoot with it will not to go heaven and get their 75 virgins... I suppose that might be important if you lived in Michigan or a sanctuary city.

Attachment 192629

Then again, another option, my mentor Buffalo George Dega of Mirabello, Italy, says over there they use 1:3 OLIVE OIL and beeswax with BP in their 10.4x66mm Vetterlis and Swiss Federal rifles!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    What they didn't tell the jihadists is the 75 virgins ain't female.........

Vendor Sponsor

Since the early 1970's, shooting C&B revolvers I have heard the Crisco salt warning. Back then it was GS talk and friends. No Devil Box to type on back then..

I have always checked the Crisco label. I have never found one around here that listed salt on it. Maybe it is a regional preference. I have seen the blue and yellow can, Crisco "butter flavored". Maybe it contains salt. I never get that one so don't check.

For what ever it is worth, at least here in the high country, I have never had lube go rancid, ether on or off bullets. Seems to keep forever. I have a coffee pot of lube with atoms in it twenty years old. Every so often, I add some. I keep my lube in a coffee pot to melt it on the warmer and it stays clean when not in use and pours well with the handle for pan lube or into the lube/sizer.
    Chill Wills

Heating lube in a coffee pot.... Thats genius.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast