Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Real Wound cavities

Banned
    You don't need a hollow point. Save that for hard lead,jacketed bullets that need the extra help to open up.

Boolit Master
    For them as simply MUST see some gelatin being shot, because millions of deer being harvested successfully isn't proof enough, you will find your magic gelatin answers here;
    https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=...OKAWsvPVALUp8Z

You have to exert some effort, but it's right in there. I could save you some time and say that all you'll find is visual confirmation of what most of us have been saying already ("don't bother over such things - your soft lead muzzleloader projectile will do just fine whether it's a patched ball or a fancy jacketed HP in a sabot, or anything in between")

You don't have to speak Hungarian either.

Hint; he shoots gel blocks with round ball and a heavy lead conical from a flintlock ML, AND he shoots gel with a rather major power, modern, big game, smokeless metal cartridge loaded with a jacketed soft point bullet designed for hunting, and there's very little practical difference that would concern the taking of a deer.

There. Now you don't have to find and watch the video, so you'll have more time to spend on what really does matter; practicing your shooting skills and testing loads for accuracy.

Boolit Mold
    This is an old post & I am sure you have your answer by now, but as it is still relevant I thought I would add to this. As most have said a 50 cal ML is a large diameter bullet anyway, so in my opinion as well no mushroom effect is needed. I have both the LEE R.E.A.L 250gr & 320gr in 50 cal. I like the small cheap Wolf ML and either use 100gr of FFG or 70gr of FFFG behind these bullets although I have also used varous pellets over the years at 100gr. (50x2)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221023_141633367.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	306007 I use to be a big PowerBelt shooter. They do load easy, shoot well, but when they hit deer they blow up and fragment. At least the HP's I use to shoot. I don't use a felt wad, but do use the Lee Liquid Alox to shake lube them. I hunt woods so my ML is sighted in for 50 yards which covers the majority of my shots. I took a doe last year with the 250gr (dropped where it stood) and the year before that a 6pt buck with the 320gr. That ran about 25 yards and dropped. So at this point I am only using the Lee's I cast. Here is a pic of a 250gr that was pushed out the barrel. Notice the rifling at loading. Now I do have to tap these a bit when starting them in, but once in the barrel I can ram them the rest of the way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MLHunter1 View Post
    This is an old post & I am sure you have your answer by now, but as it is still relevant I thought I would add to this. As most have said a 50 cal ML is a large diameter bullet anyway, so in my opinion as well no mushroom effect is needed. I have both the LEE R.E.A.L 250gr & 320gr in 50 cal. I like the small cheap Wolf ML and either use 100gr of FFG or 70gr of FFFG behind these bullets although I have also used varous pellets over the years at 100gr. (50x2)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20221023_141633367.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	306007 I use to be a big PowerBelt shooter. They do load easy, shoot well, but when they hit deer they blow up and fragment. At least the HP's I use to shoot. I don't use a felt wad, but do use the Lee Liquid Alox to shake lube them. I hunt woods so my ML is sighted in for 50 yards which covers the majority of my shots. I took a doe last year with the 250gr (dropped where it stood) and the year before that a 6pt buck with the 320gr. That ran about 25 yards and dropped. So at this point I am only using the Lee's I cast. Here is a pic of a 250gr that was pushed out the barrel. Notice the rifling at loading. Now I do have to tap these a bit when starting them in, but once in the barrel I can ram them the rest of the way.
    if they work for you as you cast them, then you are good. My 50 prefers sharp crisp bands filled with a bore butter type lube. looking close, the bands on your projectile is rounded off. this will hurt accuracy at longer distances.

Anyone experimented for how heavy of a boolit they could get to work in the 48" twist .50's?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by good cheer View Post
    anyone experimented for how heavy of a boolit they could get to work in the 48" twist .50's?
    idahoron would be the guy to talk to.

Boolit Grand Master
    MLHunter1. -- If you can hit your target well & regular with that boolit, you will have no problem with deer. I prefer a felt wad that increases my accuracy with the REAL bullets. Cast 'em soft. Although I have gotten very good accuracy and quick reloads with Power Belts, I no longer use them because of poor performance on deer. If you hunt with the REAL bullets, you'll do fine. Just find the most accurate load and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Anyone experimented for how heavy of a boolit they could get to work in the 48" twist .50's?
    I never tried more than a 370 grain maxi ball, but they shot well for me.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    An accurate shot is the main item here.
    Any bullet will bring down a deer with an accurate shot, be it a .22 or a 155 millimeter.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    I tried the 450 grain 50-70 bullet sized for a fit (not tight not loose) in my 50 cal tc 1:48. It was a long time ago and I don't recall the charge except it was 2f and the recoil was abusive. �� I only had 15 of them and I didn't thereafter purchase the mold (see "abusive"). It was the most accurate conical I ever shot in that rifle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12