Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 3.5" 12ga 21 pellet 00 buck

Boolit Buddy

3.5" 12ga 21 pellet 00 buck

Has anybody experimented with this? I would like to give it a go but can't find anything that covers that heavy of a payload.

I'm thinking gas seal and 7 layers of triple stack with an OS and fold crimp.

Boolit Master

Let's see, near 2 1/2 oz of lead out of a 12 ga....uh, if you load and fire that have someone call 911 before you pull the trigger cause I don't figure you'd be able to afterwards.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

In Remembrance

that would be over 1100gr of payload. pretty well uncharted territory for the 12ga

edit. bad math.

I have fired a 1043gr slug. but sidewall pressure of that much shot would be where the load entered uncharted pressure territory
    Last edited by cpileri; 10-23-2016 at 03:00 PM.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Master
    Must be a home defense load?

Please, post pictures after you shoot this. Shoulder, gun and target pics would be best.

There are 2 1/4 oz loads for the 3.5", but I personally haven't 2.5 oz loads, or recall anyways. I am not saying it can't be done, though. The thing is that the 7 stacks takes up maybe to much room in the 3.5 hull, not enough for the slowest powders and some form of a GS and at least a touch of wad maybe. The interesting thing is if you go with something like Steel powder, it is bulky and takes more room in the hull decreasing wad column. If you go with something like Longshot powder, it is a bit faster, but still a slow shotgun powder, and will give you a bit more room for some form of wad column. Probably either way you guessingly would have to bring you charge down into the mid twenties. You can go to 14,000 PSI with the 3.5, but still how fast would the load be coming out of the barrel. Do you think you could get a 1,000 fps out of it or would it be slower than that. Maybe if you searched the turkey hunting forums you might find ideas on the concept. Something like Hubel and Turbo 1889s wildcatting of the slug, you might find some wildcatting with hevishot which gives more room in the hull, but the weight is still there with 2.5 oz. Just don't let any of those Clays shooters 1 oz Red Dot keyboard warriors get into your head to much. They blow up enough guns on their own.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Boolit Master
    Owie!!!!

In Remembrance

these guys shoot some way heavy loads, with tungsten shot not lead, but maybe they can help.
    http://www.gobblernation.com/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=18

A man named Hal (Hawglips) is very knowledgeable and approachable, but again he loads TSS not lead.
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Boolit Grand Master

Lots of 2 1/4 oz turkey loads for the 12 ga 3 1/2" They do let you know that you pulled the trigger. I have not seen any 2 1/2 oz loads or data.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/gaug...377_17765.html

Boolit Master

wow, I thought my 15 00 in a 2 3/4" shell hurt to shoot (heavy load of BlueDot)

Boolit Master
    As a 10 gauge loader and shooter I don't see how you could even get that many pellets in a 12 gauge. I loaded up some 18 ct 00b in 10 ga 3-1/2 stacked in 3's with buffer. It took all the space that was available. Btw, they hurt!
    Life is so much better with dogs!