Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Reminder to get cataract surgery ONLY if you cannot see otherwise...

Boolit Master

Reminder to get cataract surgery ONLY if you cannot see otherwise...

Went in for cataract surgery last Wednesday. Eyesight was down to 20:90 at that time. I have several additional risk factors, which I fully informed them about beforehand. The surgery went bad. Ended up in the hospital Wednesday afternoon and most of Thursday.

I am totally blind in my left eye today. They will decide in the next two weeks if there can be anything salvaged with additional surgery. If possible, it will never come back to decent eyesight. My right eye has cataracts forming, but I won't be going in for it until I cannot see to shoot.

I guess I am the 1 in 100 they talk about when they have you sign the "informed consent" forms.

Banned

Mine went well and have 20-20 in both eyes. Carol has dry stuff at the back of her eye and takes I caps every day. Her vision has improved so doc can't explain why.
    You might have scar tissue now and it can be fixed.
    The wet stuff at back could be a cause, can't remember the name. Maculation or something.
    Years of sun is the damage to the lens. I wore sunglasses all the time until I needed glasses and even though they got dark, they magnify light too.
    I have the best eye doctor anywhere, He does all the football and baseball players too. They come hundreds and thousands of miles to him. Best hospital, WV University run.
    Sorry you have a problem and my best wishes for you.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    My experience was extremely favorable and I am pleased with the outcome.

I am also in WV and may have had the same Dr. do mine as 44man.

I am sorry yours did not go well, but if you had macular degeneration or other preexisting conditions this is a complication you would ordinarily seek a second opinion on before having the surgery. In any case you want somebody who does alot of them.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

HarryO, im sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I hope it all improves. Prayers for a rapid and full recovery.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 11-12-2016 at 03:12 PM.

Boolit Master

I'm now 20/15 (last year) in my rt and 20/20 (3 yrs ago) in my left. Both surgery's went with no drama. I would recommend my (female) surgeon to anybody. I thought I should have it done while I was still young (lol).
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    My experience was extremely favorable and I am pleased with the outcome.

I am also in WV and may have had the same Dr. do mine as 44man.

I am sorry yours did not go well, but if you had macular degeneration or other preexisting conditions this is a complication you would ordinarily seek a second opinion on before having the surgery. In any case you want somebody who does alot of them.
    Where are you? I am near Harpers Ferry, Little town called Bakerton.

Boolit Master
    Sorry to hear of this HarryO; my best wishes for a recovery.

Sorry to hear about your outcome. Mom (76) had her's done last year as she couldn't drive at night and being a life long bird watcher could no longer tell the difference between a crow and a turkey vulture at about 40yds. Had the surgery and can see well enough that she had the corrective lenses restriction which she's had since she was 16 removed from her DL.

Wow I am sorry to hear about the bad outcome but pray that things will get better for you. My dad had cataract surgery this year and has been happy with the outcome. I had PRK done a few years ago when I was stationed at Walter Reed. An Army doc did it and I have been pleased with the outcome. It is amazing how things can go wrong for some people though.
    Keep moving forward!

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the sentiments everyone. I do not fault the doctor. We both knew it was going to be an uphill battle going into it, what with my other risk factors.

I am being seen by a different doctor about it now. He has a very good reputation (from my wife, a hospital worker for 40 years and my son, a pharmacist for 10 years). He operates on the entire eye, not just the cataract. He is thinking that after the swelling goes down a bit (in a week or two), they can clean up what is left in the eye. Then several weeks after that, they may be able to implant a lens in it (there is no lens at all right now). Best results will not be great, but I was able to function at 20:40 eyesight in the left eye some time ago. If we can make it to there, it will be an accomplishment. My right eye is 20:25 right now and I am going to hold onto it as long as possible.

Interestingly enough, as my eyesight started to go bad starting about 2 years ago, my shooting did not change much. It was a little worse, but the actual scores did not drop much. In my CAS shooting, I shot clean all this year. My times were slower by 15 to 20 seconds total for 6 stages (3 to 4 seconds per stage), but I did not miss anything. In my JC Garand shooting, my lowest (and last) score was 225 out of 300. In comparison, my best score ever was 267. I think I was shooting by instinct as much as eyesight. Now things are different, though, and I will have to see how it goes. It will be a while before I get back to the firing range. Right now, no bending over, no lifting more than 10lbs, and taking pain pills so I sleep a lot.

Boolit Grand Master

The body has an amazing capability to heal my brother. Have faith.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master
    My wife, age 70 now, has had each eye done in the last few years. Cataracts from her mother's side. She has excellent sight in both eyes now, like a young person. She can see near and far without glasses, which she used previously. This was cataract removal and lens replacement. We are happy campers.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the followup report. We truly live in a most fortunate time, when they can do things now that not long ago were unthinkable "miracles." Only when we face what you're going through now do we come to appreciate all this. God bless you and heal you, brother! Faith can still do miracles, but they usually require the hands of some very good docs. What a blessing we have them now!

In Remembrance

Praying for good results. Mine were both done 5 years ago and still 20/20.

Boolit Grand Master

Harry I'm praying for as good a recovery as is possible and for wisdom for the MD's who will be working on you. Hang in there and trust in God, not man.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!