Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: CVA 1851 Colt: What is this worth?

CVA 1851 Colt: What is this worth?

I inherited this gun from a friend's estate. I'm not a black-powder shooter & have no interest in it so I'd like to sell it. I think the original kit came with 50 round ball of which it looks like half are gone. Makes me think it was shot perhaps 25-30 times. There is also a pound of Pyrodex with it which still feels full enforcing my 30 round theory. It's been oiled & nicely cared for. I don't think it has ever been fired with BP. There are a few extras like patch grease, powder charger, capping gadget, powder measure, tin of caps & some wads. I realize I can't ship the Pyrodex. What should I sell this for?

Last edited by pertnear; 10-21-2016 at 12:59 PM. Reason: fix pic's

Boolit Master
    Being CVA, probably not a whole lot. They were always sort of bottom of the heap when it came to quality. Not to say they are junk, just not very valuable. I bought a brand new pietta remington copy for $179 from cabellas on sale not to long ago. A traditions, the name CVA sells under now, pistol kit like yours new is $220. Muzzle loaders lose a ton of value crossing the counter.

Boolit Master
    If it had a steel frame it would bring more. I think you may get $100 to $125.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Being a CVA, I'm thinking 150 for the gun, 170 for the entire kit. And I may be a little generous. Good luck!
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Check the markings to see who made it as well as the date code. Armi San Marco (ASM) used to make the revolvers for CVA. ASM was known for soft internals. Sometimes quality was excellent and sometimes not so good.

I had a NIB CVA 1861 Navy steel frame that I sold this past year. Quality was excellent. I got $200 shipped for it. BUY, IMHO an 1861 is much more desirable than a 1851 - especially if it is a brass frame. Not knocking yours - just stating what my experience is and I've been shooting C & Bs - primarily 1851 Navies for 50 + years.

If your revolver has been shot - it is "used". With a brass frame, I would guess around a $100 to $125 Some may pay more but a good used steel frame can be found for a little bit more if a person keeps their eyes out. The Uberti steel frame .36 1851 Navy that I currently shoot most, was new that a fellow had on display for a few years in his house. I paid $150.00 for it.

Thanks to everyone for your great feedback. I'm glad to be a member here. All your opinions & info are a valuable resource!