Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Rendezous

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Last Rendezous

I got up about 3 am this morning , bout an hour earlier than usual . Couldn't sleep well , don't know why but happens to all at one time or another . I like getting up early because the whole world is asleep and it's peaceful and quiet and peace can be hard to come by . It's odd the random thoughts you think when there's no distraction , things daylight and daily life doesn't allow you to .

I have a friend that died about 2 years ago . I met him about 30 years ago when he came in the shop . He was probably 6' 5'' tall , could have a bad attitude in a hurry if things didn't suit him . He was ex oilfield like myself so we had a little common ground . One day he got mad at me because I wouldn't do a job for him that I didn't have the tools to do and he got mad in a second . He got close to me and started getting threating , being the size he was he usually got more than average respect I'm sure . I'm 5' 11'' , I took 2 steps and was breathing on his chest as I looked up at him and told him to get it done . He stared down at me a few seconds and then smiled and back off .
    Will continue later .
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master

Interesting and waiting on the next part.

^^^^ this
    The only thing we are afraid of is our own abilities once you get to the point where you don't care about your abilities they become limitless

He started trying to apologize but I would not have it , said nothing and walked away . He came in early one morning about a month later . Said nothing as he walked in , got a cup of coffee and sat down . I was instantly mad . Back then I was a different man , forgiveness came hard to me ...very hard .
    Mentally I was gearing up to finish what I considered him to have started the last visit . I would not lay this down , I wanted no peace with him , he had wronged me and challenged me . Win , lose or draw I needed satisfaction . Pride and anger filled and controlled me , rational thought disappeared in these situations .
    I stared at him a bit , walked over where he was sitting and told him to get out or finish what he had started ! He looked at me and said ; I'm a Mormon .

Moderator Emeritus

Charlie, That story is just like the old Saturday cereals at the movies....will Betsy get untied and off the railroad iron before the train gets there.....looking forward to the followup....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Oh Gosh! I'm hooked now.... Do you suppose we will have to pay for the ending?

Boolit Grand Master

ok, I want to continue seeing the Castboolits version of before movie episodes! I wonder where this is going with the Mormon reference?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Where's my popcorn?
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master

Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Master

Come on Charlie, Give us some more.

He looked at me and said ; I'm a Mormon . You must be a Mormon too because your doing what I did the other day . But you might be a Baptist........Baptist's are hardheaded like Mormons . I grew up a Baptist so I know , when I joined the Mormons I had that part down good . Neither one of us ought to act like we have , we can fix it though . He sit his coffee on the floor beside him , folded his arms and sat there . He said .......We got ta talk .

Ah, common ground. Next.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

I couldn't deny what he said and grudgingly sat down and I forced myself to listen . I didn't say a lot , found out early on to keep my mouth shut when I'm mad . It's one of the worst times to talk for me .
    We talked about nothing profound or of our differences . Mainly the fact that we had both been too quick to anger , we had a connection on that point . We agreed to lay it down . Before he left I mentioned that Mormons didn't drink coffee , he said he thought it might help us talk and lighting didn't strike him so it was ok . The year was 1982 , I was 31 years old.......I remember .

We had lightly mentioned to each other that we shot black powder . He was in a club locally that had a range and a lot of activities . He was a reenactor , he loved going to the rendezvous...it was his 'thing' . I shot with him and a lot of his friends , great bunch of guys . He and his family came to the shop regular , got to know all of them . Saw the kids grow up and get married . His son came in last week , got me thinking and I posted this thread .

My friends wife died about 15 years ago of cancer . He started developing a lot of medical problems . Had to retire early , had it hard physically and financially . He never complained . He would come to the shop often if he felt good enough to just to talk .

.................. I will only make one more post on this thread .
    Last edited by Boaz; 10-24-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Boolit Master

Waiting for the ending.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I hope this ends well.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Where did all these pins and needles come from in my chair????

Boolit Master

One word; poignant.

Moderator Emeritus

And the thing is, there are stories like this really going on every day. We just don't hear about them because they're not "newsworthy." Folks who've been in a position to learn "the rest of the story" about what's happening in people's lives, as Paul Harvey used to say, know the true meaning of that old saying that "still waters run deep." Often, those folks who we think appear quietly satisfied and complacent, are really going through great turmoil. They just don't show it or talk about it, and deal with it with the grace of God and with Faith. Not knowing what folks are going through isn't the same as its not happening. We just don't know very much about even our closest friends, oftentimes. But everyone gets tested in this life, and some more often and severely than others. Why does God choose these people? Who knows? God does, but we probably never will in all but the fewest cases. I guess that's why they call it "faith?"

He continued to go down . Surgeries gone wrong , infections , complications , many problems . Watched him go to a cane , to a walker , to crutches , to a wheelchair . Hurt to watch him waste away . He would cast balls on the wood stove at his house , he'd bring me 50 every once in a while . He had always been active and went down quick . He had many Mormon friends that he shot with , they helped him . Heck ! I knew all of em through him , shot with em , they came to the shop regular , great bunch of guys .

He got plumb down several times and kept bouncing back surprising everyone . I waited to hear he died , expected it .
    One day one of him church friends that we both knew came in and said they were headed to a rendezvous . He said they were taking our friend ! I stood up and said ...YOUR DOIN WHAT !! I looked out the bay door and my friends old rendezvous trail with his tents and camp gear was loaded on his old rendezvous trailer ! I said You can't do that ... are you crazy !
    He had his hands up trying to settle me down and said ...Charlie Charlie ! He wants to go , 4 of us took off work to take him ! He's happy and excited , we talked to his doctor and the kids . He wants to go ! He knows he might not make it back .
    He made us stop here , he wants to talk to you . Go out and talk to him ! We'll stay out of the way . Talk to him .
    My mind was spinning , trying to put this together , I feared for him . I went out and tried to act happy and excited . Went to the passenger side door and said . Dang ! I hear your goin campin ! He tried to do the same and smiled as he took my hand , he knew I was worried. He said ...It's good Charlie , I want to go . I'll be ok whatever happens . We both had tears in our eyes , most likely our last talk . He never let go my hand (Dang , I got tears runnin right now remembering) We talked several min . I gave him a hug and said I love you brother , he couldn't talk and I wished him a good time . It was hard to let go his hand .
    The others all told me they would let me know whatever happened . Strange , at a time I want to fight this man , I wanted to hurt him .Our Lord does provide miracles .

He survived the trip , he died soon after . They said he rallied and had a great time . I'm proud he made that last rendezvous .
    I see a picture in my mind the day I was staring up in his eyes gonna fight him but now it's just funny . He was the bigger man in more than one way . It's all good .
    Last edited by Boaz; 10-25-2016 at 10:39 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

Great story, guys! Thanks. Provided a lil' inspiration to start the day with - always an asset to any man.