Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K 98 project

K 98 project

Well I sold the synthetic stock I had and purchased a walnut one from Numrich for half what I got for the synthetic one. Now that I've got the barrel on I need dies and a mold. I am looking forward to having an 8x57 to play with. I've got the steel to weld up a tank to blue it, I'm gonna want a matte finish so I was thinking of wire wheeling the snot out of it maybe a mild acid etch then blue. This is going to come in around $200 the action was given to me barrel $40 Lyman 57 $37 stock $49. Chemical to blue it might be the most expensive items I'd just DuraCoat it but I kind of want the tank for other part bluing.

It sounds like a plan - pics ? ?

Super Moderator

................ More sporters built on that action then any other I'd bet. And I'd win too if anyone was crazy enough to bet against me! I've got a sporter I put together several years ago. It's as ugly as a mud wall, but it does have some character to it:

A friend of mine at work bought a piece of property east of us in the Mojave Desert. Like lots of desert property where "Desert People" live, there was quite an accumulation of junk He'd found this poking out from under some stuff and brought it to work. I was the resident 'Gun Guy'. It was obviously a 1903 springfield action. The rusty portion is what had been exposed outside it's otherwise cosmoline soaked mummy wrappings.

Exploring further, after getting it home.

S-A marked 1-44.

Drove a cleaning rod and patch covered jag through the barrel, and I mean DROVE! It produced a long snake of cosmoline. A couple patches with Hoppe's and the bore shined like a mirror.

The rust on the action was only a dust and it cleaned up leaving NO pitting, and took an unbelievable cold blue. So now I had this barreled action. Luckily I shot every Tuesday with a bunch of other guys. We all cast, reloaded, and were fairly interested in most ANY firearm. So one of these guys sold me a steel Lyman 57 for a Springfield for $25. One of the other guys had some Springfield stuff. The next Tuesday he showed up with this ratty old 'Scant Grip' stock, fully equipped with a loose plastic forend tip, and a dead rubber ventilated buttpad as hard as a rock. Best of all he had an engine turned bolt complete. For $25 I got both. The stock in it's entirety is an amazement to behold, but it IS walnut. Previously at home I had some Springfield parts that came in handy like a mag housing, trigger assembly, bolt cutoff, etc.

Not a very good picture, but here it is in all it's raging glory. However, this freaking thing shoots like a lazer beam I call it my 'Garage Sporter' as it looks like a hurry up sporter some poor old broke guy would cobble together in the 1950's. And it WAS cobbled together, but it's pure ugliness, coupled with how well it shoots is an endearing quality all it's own.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Buddy
    Parkerize it. The dull grey-green matte finish is perfect for a rifle like that, and it's perfect for a beater truck gun. I've had two blued rifles parkerized for the climate up here and can't recommend it highly enough.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Nice. I think it actually turned out pretty good. I've got what I call a 1903/03A3 rifle. Its a Rem. 1903 complete action on a 03A3 stock with 03A3 barrel. I bought it like this with no rear sight at all. I put a Williams 5D sight on it and like yours it shoots great.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

I really do need to put up some photos maybe tomorrow after church this one has a story.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0188-320x181.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	179307Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0184-320x181.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	179308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0193-320x181.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	179309Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0190-240x424.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	179310
    Here it is in all its glory I've had the action for I don't know how long just decided it needed a barrel and stock. You can see I've bumped the barrel to see how it contacts on the inner seat. It's kind of rough I think I'll lap that a little. I got the action for free from a guy who got it from who knows.
    Last edited by pupsdad; 10-23-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Stock came toddyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0197-320x181.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	179531Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0198-320x181.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	179532

Boolit Master

Mauser Project

What a great project. I did the same thing roughly 15 years ago to a WWI Gewehr 98 that had no collector value. I chambered it for 35 Whelen.

Here it is:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mauser 35 Whelen 01-cropped-800.jpg  
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I love this kind of stuff. Keep us posted as the project progresses. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master

Most all of the 98's are in private hands and are out of circulation.
    Like a guy I know once said, "If the German's had won Europe, there'd be more Mauser's around."
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    In re; Your K-98, How about a sand blasted finish? Just a thought. Would give you that matt finish you're looking for. Irons out so many imperfections and makes for a super finish. YMMV. good luck.

OK got the sight on drilling was slow going took a new center drill to get it done. Tapping was a no go until I annealed the holes. I turned a pin and inserted it in each hole heated pin till I started to get color then let it cool. Still tough but doable.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0199-320x181.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	30.3 KB 
ID:	179738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0200-320x181.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	179739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0201-320x181.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	179740

It's going to to be slow going for a while as I finish inleting the action into the stock. The tang is close but it is tight scraping. The other end will go faster as its just opening it up. I've thought about gouge it out and bed it but I'm gonna try and scrape it it and see how it goes then if I goof it up then I can gouge it a little and bed it.

About 0.1 to go I am able to snug screws to mark as I scrape now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0204-320x181.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	180234Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0205-320x181.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	180235

Real close to having the action and bottom metal in. I did not have any purssian blue and I kind of always make a mess with it, I always try different methods pencil lead, grease pencils to name a couple I've tried, but I started using dry erase markers and just think it works great. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0207-480x849.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	180415

Name:	IMAG0208-640x362.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	180417

Name:	IMAG0215-640x362.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	181573Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0217-640x362.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	181574action and bottom metal in

Name:	IMAG0216-640x362.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	60.2 KB 
ID:	181575maple spacer and ebony grip cap

Name:	IMAG0218_BURST002_COVER-640x362.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	181572
    Sight fits working on bolt release & bolt

Slow going but, the fit will be so nice looking!
    A deplorable that votes!

This makes me want to do a Mauser for my next project... Nice stock work!

In Remembrance

Nice looking Mauser are you leaving the bolt handle as original or doing a swept down and back angle for scope use?Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast