Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: BIG bodda boom, little package. 45-70 Siamese Mauser

Boolit Buddy

BIG bodda boom, little package. 45-70 Siamese Mauser

Took this ol girl and made her I to my bear/brush gun. Hunt in Western PA and needed something short with some powa! Siamese Mauser cut down to 18". She barks almost as bad as she bites, and kicks like a mule! Looking for a better stock if anyone has one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG2007.jpg   IMAG2005.jpg  
    PaGunBuilder. Learning to build the guns that shaped our country.

"Stand your ground! Don't fire unless fired upon! But if they want to have a war, let it begin here!"

Boolit Master
    I don't think a new stock will solve your problem. I have one with the original stock cut down and sportsterized by Bubba's cousin and it also kicks like a blue nose mule, and it is no lightweight. Mine also has an 18inch barrel equipped with some kind of home-made muzzle brake. It looks to me like the man who made it, cut the slots in the wrong direction. It is screwed on so I guess I could change the brake but I probably never will. A friend bought me a box of Winchester 300 grain soft points that claimed 1800 FPS. The recoil was nothing short of brutal. I couldn't get anyone to fire more than one shot. I wanted the brass so I tried pulling the bullets but no go. I still have about a dozen cartridges. My rifle does have a beautiful Lyman 48 sight on it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Larry Gibson had one of those that was very nicely fixed up but it still kicked pretty good.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Get somebody to thread the end of the barrel and attach a muzzle break. It will be louder to the shooter, but not as punishing.

Boolit Master

Nice looking rig. That barrel looks like a driveshaft from a Massey-Harris combine! The weight undoubtedly helps mitigate recoil, but when you're launching light artillery rounds you're gonna get some recoil. My Marlin 1895 Cowboy is quite light, and it kicks. What load does that beast favor?

Boolit Master
    Slow down your bullets to about 1200 to 1300 fps.
    These rifles will have some recoil even if they weigh 12 lbs if you are pushing 1800 fps.
    EDG

yes ,put a muzzle brake on that beast ...I had a custom brake installed on my 7 mag now I can shoot it with out a brused shoulder after 20 rounds .
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Buddy

Don't want the stock for recoil, just not a fan of plastic. Want something a little nicer.
    PaGunBuilder. Learning to build the guns that shaped our country.

"Stand your ground! Don't fire unless fired upon! But if they want to have a war, let it begin here!"

I have one and the wood stock was a custom design that had very little drop at the heel and a good 1 inch thick recoil pad. This helps in recoil by making the gun push straight back instead of back and up into the cheek bone. I have loaded 350 gr. bullets into the 2200 fps range and the recoil was not that severe. I have shot 30-06 rifles that had too much drop in the heel of the stock that kicked me worse, more pain, then the Siamese Mauser 45/70 did.

Boolit Master

Siamese Mauser

Here is my 45-70 that I had built way back in early '70's by ER Shaw. It's got a Bishop stock with textured paint and sports a parkerized finish. I've always fed it cast boolits.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Dang. Yall just reminded me of the .458 270 grain wide flat point gas check mold sitting in the box.

I bought an as issued one in an auction many years ago thinking I would build a .45-70 on it. Sold it later for double what I paid for it when I decided my skinny frame was not cut out for such medicine. I know my limits.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Here's my Siamese 45-70 that I put together thirty years ago. I shot several elk and a couple of deer with it then switched to a 6.5x55 for deer and 375 H&H for elk. I still have another action that I should build something on but I'll probably never get around to doing it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	L32.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	179364
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.