RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hunting with runfiverun 2017. (Part2)

Hunting with runfiverun 2017. (Part2)

We went out yesterday afternoon and got a look at a few doe and a small buck that we couldnt get a shot at (one of those walking through the trees, one small clearing scenarios) the deer took off and we had no shot.

We gave up and were headed down the mountain and saw some deer headed up a hill. It was about 4:30-5:00 and still light so we decided to follow them up and see if they had any bucks hanging around them.

Runfiverun looked over and saw two deer up by themselves so we skirted around some trees and they were both bucks. The bigger off the two took off immediately. But I got a shot at the smaller one. Hit him and he jumped, were thinking oh it's dead, nope, shot it again in the leg (whoops) it went down. We walk up and it doesnt run, naturally we think it's dead. It goes to jump, dad opens his knife to finish it and it gets up and takes off, that thing was not looking for a knife fight.
    I shot it again and it died (finally). It was about dark so we gutted it out and had to go back for it this morning.
    Little 2x2
    Shot with 7x57 ruger tank safety.
    Runfiverun can tell you about the boolit.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1239.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	179134
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG1240.jpg  
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

Exciting story...good job...good meat in the freezer...good all around, huh?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    good going dead is dead no matter how many shots
    good for you
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Vendor Sponsor

WTG!

I tagged a 90lb doe with my Cavalier Wagon and stopped thinking it was dead, gathered it up and opened the hatch and tossed it in, few minutes later it's like HELLO DID I MISS THE PARTY??????

Was a fun ride home and was just praying nobody saw it thrashing around trying to stand up and called the law, it bolted like a missile once the back hatch was opened but I cornered it and did it in with a ratchet strap around it's neck.

Glad it didn't get away, it's bladder was pushed out between the skin and abdominal wall muscles so it would have died a long slow death.. Funny how they bounce back after something slams them hard.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Good job!! Nice deer bet Dad's proud as he should be.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Atta girl, Dawnikins!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Glad you are teaching dad to hunt, keep up the good work.

Ric! Holy cow, Daniel told me you'd died.
    I guess I can start sending you Christmas cards again
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

Good job young lady. And you shoot a classic rifle- bravo!

Banned

you mean she STOLE my classic rifle
    thankfully she hasn't discovered my model 700 in 8X57 yet.

I didn't steal anything, you gave it to me, ten years ago, when we started this deer escapade and just don't remember.

This sounds familiar. My daughter has several of my former guns that I thought she had just borrowed.......and she can get me every time by pulling the memory card! Best, Thomas.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    don't feel bad five my 22 target pistols disappear the same way. the guys at her club asked me to take them back, they hate losing to the blond.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiveslittlegirl View Post
    I didn't steal anything, you gave it to me, ten years ago, when we started this deer escapade and just don't remember.

LOL! Good job, stay with it until you get it done. Another good hunting story well told, thanks for sharing it with us.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

its hell getting old lol good shooting young lady ..
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiveslittlegirl View Post
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl

Boolit Master

WTG and Congratulations Runfiveslittlegirl!

A quote I was given years ago and it has stuck with me.

Keep shootin til they are dead.

From the picture of you and you deer, I guess you photoshopped in all of that white stuff so it looked like your Dad had a tougher hunt.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 10-21-2016 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Add jest
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned

bullets are cheap. another mile of walking ain't especially when it's the wrong direction from the truck

after the autopsy the first shot was good but not overly fatal.
    it just sliced the heart and clipped the bottom of the lungs but didn't get into any of the hearts chambers, another 1/2" up or left and it would have been over in 20 yds.
    as it was the shot looked like a classic kick-jump heart shot, but the deer started trotting off and the Texas heart shot was needed before it took to the real thick brush.
    the second shot should have been enough since the bullet penetrated clear through the lungs and trashed everything from the broken leg forward.
    I have done less damage to Elk and had them go down quicker.

Boolit Master
    Seems there's gonna be some fine dinners at LittleGirl's house. Nice going LittleGirl and runfiverun.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    WTG and Congratulations Runfiveslittlegirl!

A quote I was given years ago and it has stuck with me.

Keep shootin til they are dead.

From the picture of you and you deer, I guess you photoshopped in all of that white stuff so it looked like your Dad had a tougher hunt.
    Believe it or not I got mine maybe a mile lower than he got his. If we'd gone two turns of the road higher there is instantly 6inches of snow lol

Moderator Emeritus

Attaway, runfiveslittlegirl! Great performance! I know your Dad is really proud of you. It's good to see the female of the species able to go out and hunt. Very satisfying for us Dads! We know they'll always be capable of protecting themselves, and that's a big deal for Dads. I haven't had a female born in my direct lineage in over 100 years now, so I get an extra kick when I see someone else's little girl do great things like this. Most today would be lost in the woods, but it's a beautiful place, and full of wonders. And a person can hear themselves think out there. I don't even know you, and yet, already respect you very much! Keep up the good work. The world needs great young lasses like you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast