MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Southbend 9 inch model A lathe

Vendor Sponsor

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/south-bend-lathes/

There are a lot of SB owners here and a wealth of info.
    Also links to parts and lube plus a great book to get you through take down in case to need to clean or repair.
    If you already know of this web-site, disregard.

I grew up with one. I have my fathers 1946 9-A 56" bed and his atlas mill.
    I got it when I lost him - the lathe is great but I sure miss him. Using it is a way to be near him when ever I turn it on, which is a few times a week.
    If you are a gun crank a lathe and mill are invaluable, but you already know that.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy

Don brought over the lathe yesterday. We have it set up now. While he was at the house he told me he has a 4 inch jointer/plainer and a 1930's table saw with several blades including dato blades and other accessories for 100 bucks. I bought them as well.

Boolit Buddy

Ok guys. I am following your advice. I am looking at quick change tool posts. It was recommended to an " aloris" brand wedge type, indexable carbide tooling and I need a carriage stop. Does anyone have a carriage stop to sell? I was told to get this first. Any sugestions on what type of indexable carbide tooling.

Vendor Sponsor

now that you are cutting metal. Think about making one. Good starter project. Lotsa plans out there.

Also, they are handy but don't wait to get one to start making stuff. They are not that big a deal. Other ways to get the job done. Machining is a lot to do with thinking out of the box and making stuff with what you have. It is always, 'just one more tool'. Don't I know that!
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 10-26-2016 at 12:27 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer1 View Post
    Ok guys. I am following your advice. I am looking at quick change tool posts. It was recommended to an " aloris" brand wedge type, indexable carbide tooling and I need a carriage stop. Does anyone have a carriage stop to sell? I was told to get this first. Any sugestions on what type of indexable carbide tooling.
    The Aloris posts are good (lathe at work has a set) but the cost of the post and a set of holders will be very dear. I bought a clone set on ebay including post and 5 holders for a little north of $100. Is it as good? No way but it works for my needs at about 1/6th the cost of an Aloris set.

My set is a no-name brand. The Shars and Phase II branded sets are another option. Search "quick change tool post" on ebay and you will be presented with many choices. In any case you will likely have to make an interface plate to mount it. My set came with a blank plate that needed minimal machining to union the post to my lathe's compound rest.
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy
    These guys have some pretty good prices on Chinese tooling. I'm not affiliated with them, just a (repeat) customer.
    cdcotools.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ricksplace View Post
    These guys have some pretty good prices on Chinese tooling. I'm not affiliated with them, just a (repeat) customer.
    cdcotools.com
    Memory jog -- that is the supplier I go mine from via their ad on ebay.
    ph4570

Boolit Buddy

My book a reprint of machine shop practice, came today. Lots of great stuff. I have a lot to learn. Thanks folks.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by marvelshooter View Post
    It looks like you also have a 2 speed counter shaft which not all the 9" lathes came with. Mine did not. I also don't see a thread dial. Do you have it?
    Yes that is correct, the belt drive setup allows for 8 speeds plus the back gear. Unfortunately the thread dial was gone when I got the machine. I bought a new one from Grizzly for $50 vs. hundreds for an original one on ebay.

Keep moving forward!

Could you share the part number of the Grizzly thread dial?

Quote Originally Posted by marvelshooter View Post
    Could you share the part number of the Grizzly thread dial?
    The website doesn't have a photo but the part number is PSB10020554A as listed here: http://www.grizzly.com/parts/psb1002...ce=grizzly.com

See this thread for more info:
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...rizzly-315829/
    Last edited by kingstrider; 10-29-2016 at 11:51 PM.
    Keep moving forward!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123