Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting with runfiverun 2017

Boolit Buddy

Congrats on a nice buck & hunt, runfiverun. Our season ends on Sunday evening here, SWMBO and I are headed out in the morning for Death Valley so I won't be able to hunt at all this year I've skinned & quartered 2 bucks for a Disabled friend and have not even had a day in the field .... Did get a courtesy front shoulder for skinning/quartering them, so life is good on the mountain. Enjoy that Venison.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Moderator Emeritus

Nice buck! Looked heavy for a 3x3, did you weigh it?

Ok R5R, you told us about the deer and about the homemade sierra boolit now how about some info on the rifle?
    Good looking deer, I like to see those OLD bucks but they get tough sometimes. But those young one are always tender.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Congrats on a good stalk hunt. Sounds like it was the usual one shot and then a lot of work lol, but it's all worth it when you finally get them to the truck.

I won't get started till nov. here in the south, but your story has me jazzed up now!

Boolit Master

Nice deer

Great story, nice deer, And with a home made bullet! great Job

Banned

the rifle is a Bergara. [F-14 I think they call it] in 30-06.
    it's their synthetic stock and matte finish rifle the stock is duratouch or something like that [it's not hard plastic]

I'm pushing the bullets along in the 2800 fps area, with some 4064.
    they should re-name the rifle line to the 'stupid accurate once you figure them out' brand, this was about the easiest I have ever shot clover leaf groups from any rifle I have.
    one load at one oal with one bullet and load development was done.

Mary I didn't weigh it but it's bigger than I am by a lot.
    I forgot the stick for hanging it so I quickly cut one at the kids place, we got it half way up and it broke the 1x3.
    I did weight just the head and about 3" of neck and it was 29 lbs, the neck is about basketball diameter.
    I was guessing close to 300 lbs live weight he is bigger bodied than the 30" buck I have here on the wall.
    and he also has more diameter on his antlers.
    his fat head makes his antlers look smaller.

OnHoPr, he called me on Sunday to tell me he got a deer just to make me mad because I had all my in laws coming over and I couldn't go with him. Which is why I didn't believe him when he called me to tell me he got this one.
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Nice 4X3! run, congrats on still getting out there,,,,,,,,great post.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the rifle is a Bergara. [F-14 I think they call it] in 30-06.
    it's their synthetic stock and matte finish rifle the stock is duratouch or something like that [it's not hard plastic]

I'm pushing the bullets along in the 2800 fps area, with some 4064.
    they should re-name the rifle line to the 'stupid accurate once you figure them out' brand, this was about the easiest I have ever shot clover leaf groups from any rifle I have.
    one load at one oal with one bullet and load development was done.
    The manufacturer name explains why it was so easy. They make great barrels. Their B-14 line is very affordable. A Timber in 30-06 has been on my list but I haven't found any locally. I need to sell some guns to buy some new ones. But that just leads to regret. Good thing I've only done it twice :laugh:

well I tried wearing a hat like that hunting,,,,, once........................ just once.

there will be more stories to follow as the kids get their deer Littlegirl has tomorrow and Sunday and Trystan has Friday and Sunday.
    I'm still not sure on whether the nephew is going to be able to go or not.
    but at the least I should be able to get Dawn to put up some pictures of the roads and snow and such.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1263.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	179178
    The mind has exactly the same power as the hands: not merely to grasp the world, but to change it. - Colin Wilson...

Name:	IMAG1272.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	179179

Name:	IMAG1268.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	179180

Name:	IMAG1258.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	179181

Name:	IMAG1241.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	28.1 KB 
ID:	179182

Way to go! Good looking fat buck. What is this snow you speak of? Two more weeks till opener for us-95 degrees yesterday. Btw what weight are your home made bullets-180grs? Best, Thomas.

Banned

they come out at 152grs with a little lead at the point.
    think of a sierra 150gr game king, then round the point over at the nose.
    Brian done a very good job on my swage die, they come out approx. .001 away on the ogive from the sierra's.
    I'm beginning to think I do need to get some longer jackets and bump the weight, or get a pinch trim die to cut back some corbin jackets I have that will make about a 190gr bullet.

Dragon:
    you won't regret buying one, right after I shot this one I looked long and hard at their wood stocked rifles.
    they had one in 6.5 Creedmore at the same shop, and I also looked at one in 308 with the same stock as the 30-06.
    if the 6.5 hadn't of went out the door I would have probably bought it. [that's after buying the 0-6, heck I even almost talked myself into another 308]
    I'm completely sold on these rifles.
    I have back packed this rifle in and carried it on the 4 wheeler plus had it riding in the truck and it just does what it's supposed to do. [smoothly and properly]

I really need to upgrade the scope from the $200.00 vortex I put on it to a better model, but I have no complaints about it's performance either considering how much snow and mud and bouncing about it's seen.
    you put the crosshairs where they are supposed to be out to about 325 or so yds. and your gonna hit.

Boolit Master

What is that white along the road, we had high 80s yesterday and mid 50s today.
    High 80s and I can not even think deer hunting.

Again Congrats on a well earned "trophy"
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Banned

that white stuff is on the road next to the road and all over everything.
    if you go down about 400' in elevation it's turned into mud, if you go up 300' it gets deeper and deeper.
    hanging out in the transition zone from the mud to the snow is where many of the deer are.

Boolit Grand Master

hanging out in the transition zone from the mud to the snow is where many of the deer are.
    That sounds about as fun as hunting bear in the swamps. Some family members laugh when I put waders on to go hunting. They always come back empty handed. And they eventually put theirs on when I need a hand dragging one out.

Here's the recovered bullet.

Name:	IMAG1242.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	179301
    [Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1243.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	179302

Name:	IMAG1243.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	179302

Name:	IMAG1242.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	179301

... I'm pushing the bullets along in the 2800 fps area, with some 4064.
    Congrats on a nice, big buck!

I'm surprised you didn't get a complete pass through with your shot. I shot a decent size GA whitetail doe today (at best half the size of your buck, live weight) in the shoulder with a HDY 150gr Interlock from my old Ruger '06 going about 2700 from an old batch of 4320. It hit in the scapula behind the joint a couple inches about midway (top to bottom) and was a complete pass through. Range was about 75 yards. Lungs were soup and I had a one inch diameter exit hole. First DRT I've ever had too. Guess the size of the deer must be the difference.

Banned

we used this same bullet on a smaller buck and it just sucked the insides out the back side.
    I could see blood on the snow where the shot was taken and where it slowly walked to before stopping to suck wind.
    I really like 2 holes too but hit a rib on the way in [and broke 3 of them] I think the bullet may have tumbled on it's way through.
    you could physically see the impact knock the wind out of this guy and it dropped him on the spot.
    he tried struggling to his feet but only managed to make his way about 20' forward and down hill about 10' before he was done.

I'm gonna work on a stronger core and see if I can't get a bit better penetration.
    I found the bullet just under the skin on the off side after about 16-17" of internal penetration and after punching the rib bone[s] at the entrance.
    I can't really call it a bullet failure it just didn't meet my expectations on this deer.
    and the rib punch might have contributed to that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12