RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case activated powder measure choices

Boolit Master

Case activated powder measure choices

As far as I'm aware, you can get 4 case activated powder measures...well 5 if count the ultra expensive Quick Measure, which I'm not.

Do you believe there is any "practical" difference between them? I know that if already have a Dillon/Hornady/RCBS/Lee and the associated conversion kits you may not want to buy into another measure...but if you had none. Do you care which one sits on your progressive press? If so, why? Do you think one is better than the other?
    [

Since you have them all...sounds like you already have an opinion...why don't you have a go at it first?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master
    It would be a moot point for me. I have too many Dillons to justify a minor improvement in consistency.

Don Verna

I have or have had all of the above. The current Dillon measures must have a fail safe rod to return them so I don't use them on all presses, even though I have the older linkages and springs too.

The Hornady and RCBS are a little better with extruded powders and if you install a baffle and the small drum can be almost as consistent as the Dillon's with small charges.

The auto disk is the only Lee measure I messed with, the adjustable slide was a bust for me but the disks worked ok and didn't leak as much.

Boolit Master
    guilty of still using my lee auto disk here. I already have my common disk sizes written down with the load data I like using, so it was simple to setup and swap over. Eventually I'll get the hornady degreased and setup for using the bulky powders i have stashed away, just haven't had the urge yet.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Boolit Master
    I really like the current Dillon measure, its been pretty darn consistent. Good enough for my competition loads that I use it for. As mentioned, the fail-safe rod is a peculiarity that needs consideration. A handy person could find a way to adapt it to other presses. I have used the Lee auto-disk and it works fine for what it is. I recently, finally put the newer Lee Auto-drum to work on a spare toolhead for 9mm on my Dillon 650 so i didn't have to lose my die settings for my other 9mm load. So far this new measure has me impressed. For the cost, its a nice case activated measure that seems to hold set charge accuracy and is pretty easy to use and setup.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

For a different machine you would just remove the "new" linkage.

and install one of the older linkages and return springs. The black linkage is the original and would work on anything, the 2nd gen would too as long as you didn't remove the return springs.

Boolit Buddy
    Just got the new Lee Auto Drum a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I like the inexpensive quick change drums and have some on order to make load changes even easier. I did have leakage issues with fine powder until I got the amount of tension needed on the drum figured out now it's leak free.

For the price and the quick change drum feature kinda hard to beat. At least IMO.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Master

I've used all of the Lee products and I really like the new Auto Drum better than any of them.

Boolit Master
    Price wise, when you include all the linkages and what not, the Dillon is the least expensive with the exception of the Lee...and lets face it, Lee is always the king of value for money.

It's interesting that the RCBS and Hornady use essentially the same design, a rotary drum. They chose to take their existing measure, do a Rube Goldberg linkage and call it good. The wild thing is, is they are pretty good. Dillon is fundamentally a totally different architecture. In fact, I'm not sure who else makes a powder measure like the Dillon.

The Dillon seems to have the advantage that the actual parts move a very small distance. The rotary drums seem to have a greater length of travel.

For being as different as these designs are, they all seem to hold the same degree of accuracy. The Dillon is a bit more difficult to adjust. That unmarked bolt is no match for the micrometer on the RCBS or Hornady...and the bolt is behind the measure in the middle of a crowded toolhead. I put a wheel on mine from Nick Taylor and that helped a little but since it's behind the measure, you can't see it and you're turning it backwards and I can never get it right which way to turn it.

I would like to give the Quick Measure a try but it has a nose bleed price and I would have to be in someones will in order to go there. But I here it is a fine peice of kit.

But the truth is that since all these measure are all about the same as regards to consistency and accuracy and I'm one of those that gets the machine set up for one particular caliber/load and doesn't change it...I'm having trouble finding any motivation to explore a different solution...that's my thinking anyway. I wish there was a new killer measure was a big improvement but that doesn't seem to be the case.
    [

But the truth is that since all these measure are all about the same as regards to consistency and accuracy and I'm one of those that gets the machine set up for one particular caliber/load and doesn't change it
    Thats what I do, I have a powder bar preset for pretty much every load I make. On the Dillon it is one socket head cap screw backed out a bit to swap them.

Boolit Master
    The QM is a fine piece of equipment. I use it as a standalone measure and as measure on my 550. The only downside is the lack of expander. It does have a "bridge breaker" feature as it uses a chain to help stick powders meter easily in subcalibers. I really like mine. It throws stick, ball and flake with great consistency. The owner is a great guy to work with. I haven't found a powder yet that it didn't like. I have Dillon and Hornady. I like these too. The Hornady can be used as a standalone measure too.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master

I have four of the Dillons. I should convert them back to the old style. I still have all the parts and pieces. The new linkage really makes things unsmooth. They all throw accurately w/ no leakage. Adjustment is quick and easy since I put a set of cheap knobs on them. The visual reference point is what makes it easy. But I have to expand cases separately. If someone like NOE started making powder funnels for them I would buy one in every size that I need.

I still use the Lee PAD a lot. The cavities almost always throw a charge that's accurate. In the instances where they don't I bought a bunch of blank discs and have drilled the proper size cavity. I'm still on the first disc and have room to go. Have some NOE powder through expanders that work for common cartridges. But it leaks like a sieve w/ fine ball powders. Which I happen to use a lot of.

Have two Lee Auto Drums. First one was inaccurate as all get out. And it leaked w/ any ball powder. Don't waste your time telling me what I did wrong. I tried everything and it didn't work. But I bought a second one in hopes the first was just a lemon. I still have high hopes for one. NOE needs to make more expanders for the Lee powder through dies. But they they don't have consistent dimensions so he seems to have stopped making them.

Haven't used the others. The ones I have work for my needs. And if none work I have a RCBS Chargemaster.

Boolit Buddy
    I have and use the Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, and Lee auto disk. I have experienced leaking with the Dillon and Lee when using extremely fine grained powders. I favor the RCBS over the Hornady because the micrometer is easier to read. The Lee auto disk stays on the Lee Classic turret press, the Hornady stays on the RCBS Piggyback II, the RCBS stays on the Dillon tool head set up to reload match .223 ammo, and the Dillons get switched as necessary between the various pistol toolheads. If I had to choose just one, it would be the RCBS.

Gus Youmans

Boolit Master

Dillons are fine. QMs are fine, too. I have three: one for the Dillon, one for the PW and as a standalone, and one for BP.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2117.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	179039
    Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; 10-19-2016 at 07:16 AM.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    If someone like NOE started making powder funnels for them I would buy one in every size that I need. I should convert them back to the old style. I still have all the parts and pieces. The new linkage really makes things unsmooth.
    I use the Double Alpha though powder expanders designed the Mr Bullet Feeder, even though I have a GSI. They are definitely superior to the OEM Dillon expanders. They don't over bell the case mouth. They make them in 9mm/38, 40, and 45. I like you, wish someone like NOE would make them. He would sell a boat load.

You really think that converting back to the spring return style is better than the current design? What parts do you need to convert one?
    [

You really think that converting back to the spring return style is better than the current design? What parts do you need to convert one?
    I don't, the new style makes it more difficult to throw a double charge. Not that I ever had a problem with the old style but I also don't cut the seat belts out of my new vehicles. If it can help I'll leave it there.

All you need to convert it is the linkage and springs, in the bottom photo of #7.

Banned

Lee Auto Drum. Incredible deal. Some as noted have had problems. Most no problems and it is a crazy good deal. Accuracy is OK, good enough for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I have four of the Dillons. I should convert them back to the old style. I still have all the parts and pieces. The new linkage really makes things unsmooth. They all throw accurately w/ no leakage. Adjustment is quick and easy since I put a set of cheap knobs on them. The visual reference point is what makes it easy. But I have to expand cases separately. If someone like NOE started making powder funnels for them I would buy one in every size that I need.
    I have an older Dillon that I purchased used. I have three cartridge setups including measures. All have the old linkage. I have had one Dillon user recommend that I convert to the new linkage. I too have not had any trouble and now am questioning the need to get the new linkage parts to convert. I also need to order a new cartridge conversion including measure, which will include the new linkage. I guess I can compare and then decide whether to convert the older setups.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Lee Auto Drum all the way. I have four of them and they all function flawlessly, and consistently. I've used them with Titegroup, Promo, Clay Dot, HS-6 and HP-38.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast