RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case activated powder measure choices

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    I use the Double Alpha though powder expanders designed the Mr Bullet Feeder, even though I have a GSI. They are definitely superior to the OEM Dillon expanders. They don't over bell the case mouth. They make them in 9mm/38, 40, and 45. I like you, wish someone like NOE would make them. He would sell a boat load.

You really think that converting back to the spring return style is better than the current design? What parts do you need to convert one?
    I want the funnels in specific diameters so I can match them to the bullets I'm using. It's why I have a lot of the NOE expanders for the Lee universal die. I'm not a machinist but it looks like a part that a CNC could turn out quickly.

The older linkage setup is smooth. There is no clunkiness like w/ the current linkage. And I mean clunk because that's the noise the linkage makes. They both work. The newer one just rattles the press more.

I don't have issues with "clunky" myself.

The difference is that the return rod resets the measure vs the spring.

You can see in this video where the powder bar does not fully return until after the machine indexes to the next round at the bottom of the stroke.

With the old linkages the measure could refill before the machine indexed, so it made it possible for people to throw a double if they did not make complete strokes.

Boolit Master

I'm not that familiar with all variations of Dillon machines but that appears to be a 650. I can see how you would need a "fail-safe" powder actuator to avoid a double charge. At that rate of pulling the handle, I couldn't keep an eye on everything that is happening. I'm still so slow that I doubt that I attain half the hourly production that Dillon advertises. It is still better for handgun ammunition than doing each operation on a single stage.

As I said, I'll wait until I have one conversion with the new linkage before I make a judgement as to its value.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    If someone wanted to go with the Hornady benchrest powder measure on a Dillon 650 what all would you need to make it fully case activated? Looks like a bunch of different pieces.
    [

Boolit Master
    For me both the Lee Auto Drum and the Pro Disc work great.

Boolit Buddy
    I use the Hornady. Have been using different styles of powders and have not had any problems with accurate drops. Stage after the drop is Hornady Powder Cop. Use electronic scale to double check.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
    For me both the Lee Auto Drum and the Pro Disc work great.
    Which of these work better? I'm wanting to put pm's on 4-5 of my toolheads for 9mm, .223, .45, .357, etc. I can't afford 4-5 more Dillons either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I like the Lee Auto Drum. Just ordered a set of drums to set up one drum for each caliber that I currently load. They change out quick and hold their accuracy.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sukivel View Post
    Which of these work better? I'm wanting to put pm's on 4-5 of my toolheads for 9mm, .223, .45, .357, etc. I can't afford 4-5 more Dillons either.

Go with the auto drum. I have used a lot of Lee's product over the years and I have to say the auto drum is their most impressive piece of kit to date. I expected a few bugs or quirks but once I got the drum tight it has run like a dream. I'll never use the auto disc again.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

'I know that if already have a Dillon/Hornady/RCBS/Lee and the associated conversion kits you may not want to buy into another measure.' Not true, I have a Dillon 550 that's an unreliable piece of junk...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    'I know that if already have a Dillon/Hornady/RCBS/Lee and the associated conversion kits you may not want to buy into another measure.' Not true, I have a Dillon 550 that's an unreliable piece of junk...
    I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

Boolit Master
    I will buy that piece of junk. Me first Alvarez! What do you want for it?

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    I'm just wondering what kind of problems you are having and have you sought Dillon's help?

Btw, I am eyeing the Lee auto drum. Maybe next week ...

Boolit Master
    I like both the Auto Drum and the Pro Disc, depending on the powder I'm using and the amount the charge takes. For rifle I either use the Auto Drum or sometimes my Lyman 55 depending on the powder, and I also use it for flake pistol powders and the more coarse ball types. I prefer the Pro Disc for the finer ball powders and with larger charges pretty much any powder works fine. It's really just a matter of experimenting to find what works best for each situation. For the most part these two measures handle 95% of my loading needs.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    I will buy that piece of junk. Me first Alvarez! What do you want for it?

r1kk1
    I beat both of you to the punch in another thread where he posted about it

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I beat both of you to the punch in another thread where he posted about it
    ****!

its probably hot air. I even offered money.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    ****!

its probably hot air. I even offered money.

take care

r1kk1
    I'll offer him a 100% refund of his purchase price. It'll still be a good deal.

Boolit Master

I use Dillon's on Dillon's and Lee's on the Hornady Progressives.
    They all work just fine, and I do like the non-adjustment feature on the Lee Disks
    Once set they will NOT drift
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12