Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: I need a new mechanical scale

Boolit Master

I need a new mechanical scale

My mechanical scale took a header and needs to be recycled, it was time anyway. I have a couple of digital scales but I always believed that I should check my digital scale against a known good mechanical scale, call it electronic paranoia.

I'm looking at the new(er) RCBS M1000. The price seems do-able...anyone here have one? Any input on it?
    [

Boolit Grand Master

I too keep a couple mechanical scales here to double check and occasionaly to use. I also keep a couple sets of check weights to make sure everyting is what it says it is. A gage or measuring tool that isnt calibrated or certified isnt a known accurate tool

Boolit Master
    Had to look up that M1000, never heard of it before. The only problem I see with it is the word "imported". That probably means China (I could be wrong). For me, that isn't going to fly. I would haunt the S&W section until an Ohaus/RCBS 5-0-5 or 10-10 scale showed up. Maybe even post in WTB. I use my dad's old Ohaus 5-0-5 that is over 40 years old. Same accuracy as reported for that M1000 and it was made in the US. Baring a drop, I expect it to outlive me.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Grand Master

I have a RCBS 5-10 that is my go to mechanical scales for most things. I like the thread .1 grn adjustments better than the small blades. Always wanted a rcbs or ohaus Dial o grain but never got around to buying one. Now with the internet and searches almost any grade of scales can be found mecanical anylitical or electronic it just depends on your wallet. LOL

Boolit Master
    I have an RCBS 304 dial-o-grain. I use to verify my electronic scale.

Boolit Master
    The problem to buying a scale on eBay is that you'll never know till you get it if it's still accurate. They haven't made a Dial-O-Grain in years and years and there's almost no way to get one calibrated if they're out of spec. I get soo nervous about buying a used scale.

I'm hoping that the M1000 is a decent scale, China or not.
    [

RCBS 5-0-5's are on sale at Midway.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    The problem to buying a scale on eBay is that you'll never know till you get it if it's still accurate. They haven't made a Dial-O-Grain in years and years and there's almost no way to get one calibrated if they're out of spec. I get soo nervous about buying a used scale.

I'm hoping that the M1000 is a decent scale, China or not.
    That is why I mentined S&S and not eBay.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Master

I have had a Redding balance beam scale since I started reloading. I have always been satisfied completely with Redding scales and powder measures.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

In Remembrance
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master
    well, I had to buy something and the RCBS was on sale...so here it is. I kinda like it. It comes with a 694.6 grain check weight. Seriously...and you know what? It was accurate with that weird weight...

I do wish it were heavier. The body is cast aluminum, which from a non-magnetic point of view is likely a good thing but I still would like a bit more gravity in it.

It comes with its own plastic cover, not unlike the 10-10 scale. It's really easy to take on and off without feeling like you have to have a PhD in jigsaw puzzles to get it back together.

It's easy to read with large numbers and graduations and appears accurate and reletively robust. Most of all, I feel like I can trust it, unlike the electronic scales who's computer pixies play games now and then.

I look forward to calibrating my GemPro 250 and RCBS Chargmaster against this. We'll see who runs Barter Town.
    Last edited by AbitNutz; 10-18-2016 at 03:07 PM.
    [

Boolit Grand Master

Id look for a good used one of you don't need one right away. Otherwise I'd lean towards RCBS or other similar. Hornady has not been the best for me lately and I've been avoiding their products

Boolit Master
    I have to say that after playing with this scale...I kinda like it. I do wish it were heavier. Maybe I should fill the base with lead...LOL.
    [