Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What product do you use for sizing your boolits?

What product do you use for sizing your boolits?

I have worked casting with my buddy and he use a Lyman 4500 Lube sizer, but I want to start doing my own here and was wondering what would be good for starting out on my own casting endeavor. How is Lee and is it more time consuming than using say the Lyman 4500 Lube sizer.

The difference is the time to lube the boolit. The Lyman 4500 lubes as you size the boolits. The Lee brand doesn't lube the boolit for you. The lube is added by finger lubing, pan lubing or tumble lubing. For some applications I like to use the Lee to size a bunch of say pistol boolits quickly and then tumble lube with a coat of Ben's Liquid Lube (BLL).

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee lube/sizers that fit in my RCBS press. I have limited working space and having one less piece of equipment on the bench is important to me. They work nice, and push the boolit through nose first-- so one sizing die does all of that caliber regardless of shape. Of course, that m3ans I'm pan lubing-- but I find that it doesn't take much time.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

What product do you use for sizing your boolits?

I have two RCBS LAM1s. A NOE bushing sizer w/ a lot of bushings. And a Star. They're all used for different purposes and they all work well. While I use the LAM1s most often I should have bought a Star from the start. I'd have more sizing dies if I hadn't spent the money on the LAMs and dies for them.

I had a bunch of the Lee sizers but got rid of most of them. The NOE system does the same thing, takes up a lot less space and the marked size is the actual size, unlike Lee.

I use Lee products exclusively and have no complaints. It yields bullets that are probably more accurate than I can shoot. I use the Lee sizer and then apply 2 coats of BLL (Bill's Liquid Lube). I load for rifle only, no revolvers or pistols. So, I have no need to turn out bullets by the hundreds, as a competition or high output recreational short gun enthusiast needs. The Lee sizer is reasonably priced and for me yields concentric projectiles that group nicely.

Also, I have a high regard for BLL. A little goes a long way, is reasonably priced, simple to make, has caused no leading and my guns like it. I am satisfied and don't intend to look further. A satisfied customer, with both the Lee sizer and BLL.

Boolit Master
    I actually own a Lyman 45 wtih a few different size dies. It's still filled with orange magic lube, and is stowed away someplace under the house. I don't use it anymore. I prefer to use the Lee size and lube die kits instead.

I have many of the Lee push through lube & sizing dies kits, in common popular pistol and rifle calibers.

I use the Lee push through lube and size kits to size my boolits, and to crimp on gas checks as well

Early on I'd learned to size ALL of my tumble lube boolits for consistency sake, and to catch any casting quality control issues. The Lee dies were simply priced right for me, and I later found them to be mighty convenient to use. (when mounted in a standard reloading press)

I even have a few custom Lee size dies that get used for oddball projects, that I have honed out somewhat larger.

I prefer to use tumble lube on the majority of my cast boolits.

I even tumble lube boolits with regular lube grooves.

Sometimes (rarely) I will even coat boolits.

I find the coatings to be really labor intensive to apply though, and I don't use them very often.

The Lee push through lube and size die works well for everything I do. I've found that I can even size unlubed boolits using the Lee push through sizers.

Other times I will hand lube boolits (finger lube) - and then run them through a Lee push through sizer die to clean up the lube in the grooves

I find the hand lube method is easy to use when testing out a new lube, or if I am only loading a small amount of cartridges.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master

I use the older Lyman 450 , works just like the newer 4500 . I like to size, lube and seat gas checks in one handle cycle.
    Tumble lube and pan lubing were not for me. If you have space and can afford one it's nice.
    I know coating is all the rage , but I still need my boolits sized , might as well size and lube at the same time.
    Buying that 450 was the absolute best reloading investment I ever made. I don't know of a faster way to lube-size.
    Gary

Boolit Grand Master

One Lyman 450 with Emmerts (modified) for BP and pistol and one RCBS LAM I with now Ben's Red for rifle.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Vendor Sponsor

I have a Lee and a RCBS LAM2 and use both. The Lee is real easy to create a custom size by simply honing to whatever diameter you want, and many times if I have boolits that were sized and lubed and sat on a shelf for a few months, they will grow as they age harden so running them through the Lee is fast and takes care of any growth from age hardening.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    What little I do, is powdercoat and use a Lee sizer.

Magma Star!

Quote Originally Posted by michiganmike View Post
    I use Lee products exclusively and have no complaints. It yields bullets that are probably more accurate than I can shoot. I use the Lee sizer and then apply 2 coats of BLL (Bill's Liquid Lube). I load for rifle only, no revolvers or pistols. So, I have no need to turn out bullets by the hundreds, as a competition or high output recreational short gun enthusiast needs. The Lee sizer is reasonably priced and for me yields concentric projectiles that group nicely.

Also, I have a high regard for BLL. A little goes a long way, is reasonably priced, simple to make, has caused no leading and my guns like it. I am satisfied and don't intend to look further. A satisfied customer, with both the Lee sizer and BLL.
    Hard to argue too much with this post......Plus 1 for BLL!
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    I use the Lee dies, but would probably go for the NOE stuff if I was starting out. I powder coat all my bullets.

Boolit Master

No complaints with the RCBS Lub-A-Matic. 40 years old and still cranking 'em out.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Perma-Banned

Since I went to strictly powder coat...I use the Lee push thru...and that is likely all I will use in the future.

Got to get rid of some lube equipment that is just sitting around this reloading room.

Boolit Master
    I use my old Star to size my Hi-Tek coated bullets.

I sold my Lyman 450 and all related dies and stuff, I don't see me ever using lube again.

When I first started I used a ruble lube and built this sizer.

After gremlin460's thread I built this one too.

I powder coat all my bullets and size them with the Lee sizing kit for each caliber.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Banned

Great video and led into more great ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast