RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: first loading with hornady dies....wow!

Boolit Master

first loading with hornady dies....wow!

never used the hornady brand of dies before, to say I'm impressed would be an under statement, very fine tools, clear instructions well thought out I can see buy several more sets, especially for high velocity rifles, love the aliment sleeve on the seating die, I gor these 44 dies in a trade, a box o my stuff for a box o his, he was getting out of 44 I was getting out of 9mm, great swap for us both.

Boolit Master
    I have bought Hornady dies for the seating sleeve alone. The zip adjustment takes a little getting used to but it's the seating die I like for everyday reloading. For fiddly bullets the sleeve really helps.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    That's all I use. Since my press is Hornady LnL progressive. Have looked at others and talked to other reloaders, and don't have any reason to change. 😆

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Bought my first Hornady dies a month ago. Have used RCBS for years. 6.5 Grendel dies really nice.

The only hornady die to ever give me trouble was the 38/357 expanding die. It would crunch cases left and right if you didn't baby the case in. Picked up a lone rcbs 38 expander and removed the problem entirely.
    It's only hubris if I'm wrong.

Boolit Master
    I'm at the point where I piece together die sets from different manufactures. I have die sets with a Dillon sizer, Hornady seater and Lee crimp. For fine rifle shooting like my 6.5x284 I'll use RCBS Gold Medal window seating die and Redding bushing neck sizer.
    I'm looking at an EGW undersize die for my 650...not sure how that will turn out. For the most part I will use a Hornady bullet seating die with that sleeve for ordinary loads. They make it much less likely I'll try to load a cockeyed bullet and crush a case.
    [

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I don't really like the zip, but I do love the seating sleeve. That makes it all worth using them. Most of mine are Hornady.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Like others have mentioned, I too mix and match dies. Some brands have certain features I like over others so I mix. However, I wouldn't be worse off if all I could get was Hornady dies (and I have a lot of them).

Banned

Hornady's elliptical expanding button is also very nice for smooth and easy sizing, with the bonus requiring no extra dies or parts for necking up cases.

I purged my bench of all things Hornady because of very poor customer service. Don't miss their dies one bit.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    I have around 25 sets of wildcat dies from Hornady. I really like their 500 Linebaugh dies and I have the roll crimp die and taper crimp die. I use taper crimp die all the time now.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    Majority of dies I have are Hornady and work great. I do have a Lyman 38/357 set that I like using better than the Hornady ones though. Not sure if it was made on a Wednesday by someone who really knew what they were doing but it is the one I use most for 38/357.

Boolit Man
    I just received two Hornady dies in the mail today, They appear to be very nicely machined.

Boolit Master

I got a set of Hornady dies in trade and love the seater die. It's kind of a universal body and I bought "guts" for several other calibers. Tim

Boolit Master
    I have and use a set of Hornady for the 225 Winchester. I hate the expander-decapper. It gets stuck in the case because it is not threaded to anything. The decapping rod simply slides thru the die body. To get around the problem I decap with a RCBS 22-250 die. One man on this board said he welded the rod in place.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I don't really like the zip, but I do love the seating sleeve. That makes it all worth using them. Most of mine are Hornady.
    The seating sleeve is the bees knees at an economical price. A few of these I needed to open up a bit for use with larger diameter CB's but the effort was worth it. I have mix-n-match sets used for reloading but the seater is almost always a Hornady.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar