Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC bullets with traditional design; holding us back?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    The NOE bullet looks interesting and I applaud any efforts in designing bullets for coating, but I am not convinced about the boattail design

First it is well known that a boattail only stabilizes at longer ranges. Second, our main problems with coating is uniformity of the coating, starting with and keeping concentricity, so I don't see this design as an improvement on these issues. From what 'Bama" has demonstrated with 350 yard accuracy, is we need the ability to size or swage a bullet. How do we get a uniform coating on a boattail and how do we size a boattail?
    Amen.

It will be a game changer if we can figure this out.

I definitely applaud Al for taking at least one of the steps toward making this work. A modern cast rifle mold did not really exist anywhere before now. Al has the experience and the tools, not to mention the fact that he is very receptive to our ideas and input.

So, now we have a mold. I think swaging might be the way to go. If we just have to swage a tiny bit, maybe a swage die could be made more affordably? Maybe you buy a mold and a swage die made for that mold?
    __

Check the boolits I PCd, WD & sized yesterday. These were not pre-sized (same batch of boolits, just did ~ 150 of them yesterday) and the groove didn't get filled much. Annealed alloy flowed better (?) but still were hard to push thru the sizer. These are 145gr PB I push to 2100 in BO with ~ 1 MOA, BHN will be back in the upper 20s in a week. I'll still keep my recommendation for 'collector' groove on long boolits. I'm pushing 160gr to 2700 in GC 308 with same design, ~1 MOA. FYI.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I'd love to not have to seat GC's! But with the group's I've been getting I don't want to move the chicken bones I have hanging. I also just ordered a Freechex 3!

1. 100 yards.
    2. .308 win Mossberg MVP Flex. 18.5" bull barrel.
    3. SCOPE: Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40
    4. BULLET: 163 grain Cast lead bullet (NOE 30XCB FN) weights sorted to 163.2-163.8 grns. Shot in order from .2-.8. This group was in the .6-.8 group.
    5. BHN: 15 air cooled
    6.PC METHOD:Tumble PC(NO AS BB's), HF red, 1 coat 20 min @ 400 deg
    7. Brass LC '11 brass (1x fired FL resized), trimmed with Lee deluxe power trimer & die.
    8. PRIMERS: wolf Large rifle
    9. Powder: IMR 3031 30 grains EST. ~1900 fps as per Lyman cast bullet manual.
    10. Equipment: reloaded on Lee classic turret press. Station 1 Lyman M-die. Station 2 Lee rifle charge die w/ riser and auto drum thrower. Station 3 Lyman seating die (no crimp) Station 4 Lee collet crimp die, set to 1 full turn.
    11. Gas checks: from guy here on forum. Aluminum .014" thick sized with Lee .309 pass thru sizing die opened up to .3105. GC seated by hand PC'd then sized.

This group was 3 shots. Bore was cleaned prior to begining of the shooting session. the group pictured was shots 73-76 out of 91 total. Bore was hot! Outside temp was 65 deg F light tail wind (moving slightly left to right 3-5mph) and raining (drizzle)

I PC'D some with no gas checks to plink on my AR500 8" gong. They seemed to shoot well. Group would have been tighter on the gong if I would have let the gong stop swinging. I was having fun and getting trigger time. (The orange circle is 3/4") No leading after shooting the No GC bullets.

Next range session I'll do a dedicated accuracy test W/ GC vs. W/out GC. Same bullet, same powder, same everything. I'll split it into two groups and do a FL sized group and a neck sized group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Oh, I forgot to add. I shot some GC rounds at the gong as well. Heres a recovered GC found on the soil in front of the gong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk