RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 1892 Marlin 32 Long Colt results!

1892 Marlin 32 Long Colt results!

I finally got brass and boolits from Jack Harrison on Gunbroker. Had no idea where to start! Soooo, 32 S&W looked like a close round to give me some data.
    Started with 2.2 W231, chrono'd at 850-900 FPS. I set up at 25yds, I know that doesn't mean anything, but just wanted to see if the gun would shoot and where it was sighted. Front sight is loose these first shots. Fixed now! 32 S&W brass is thicker so I had to run the sizer die without the deprimimg pin after the bullet was made, to close case mouth around the heeled bullet. It worked as a crimp die somewhat. I'm using 32 S&W dies. Don't have 32 Long Colt. Not to bad of a group starting out. Sooo, I'm on the right track I think! I'm using an 85 gr heeled boolit. Win Small Pistol primer. Just wanted to let you know the results so far. Man this round is SWEET! She has a less report that my Ruger 22 pistol.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5539.jpg  
    Last edited by Terryrm1-03; 10-16-2016 at 01:13 AM.

PS Here's a pic of my 1892 Marlin 32 Long Colt! She was made in 1899.
    She's well worn, but I like the 117 yr old look!
    If she could only talk and tell some hunting stories, and where she's been!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5536.jpg   DSCN5535.jpg  
    Last edited by Terryrm1-03; 10-15-2016 at 08:49 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryrm1-03 View Post
    PS Here's a pic of my 1892 Marlin 32 Long Colt! She was made in 1899.
    She's well worn, but I like the 117 yr old look!
    If she could only talk and tell some hunting stories, and where she's been!
    Very nice.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the progress report. Lookin' good.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looking good, about time to take it to the timber and invite some squirrels home for supper.

Robert

Terry,
    Thank you for the report. Looks like most are within the 1" square. Very good.

Nice vintage Marlin. Isn't it great getting our vintage rifles talking once again!

Regarding 231, I found that 2.4 grs equaled the original factory ballistics - 960 f.p.s. with a 90 gr bullet.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Ed Harris was big on making single shot rifles up in 32 longs similar to yours. Called them bunny rifles or something. It was on the Cast Bullet Association web site I read a bit before coming to this one. Enjoyed them a lot. Yours might be a leftover from BP mentality where larger bores were favored because of fouling. I have used 32 revolvers and they were good on small game. Shot a lot with muzzle loader 32's and round ball. Enjoy the rifle. Too bad you cannot find a hollow based mold to compensate for the heeled bullet you need.

DP

UPDATE 2.5 grs Green Dot Load!

Thanks guys for the input!
    New results from this mornings shooting. I've been shooting Green Dot almost in all of my cast boolit loads, 30-40,30-06, 32-40,38-40,44-40,1873 Trapdoor. I know there's more.
    Anyway, it's been raining here so I finally did some test loads with GDot. I'm only shooting now at 33 yrds to the creek.
    2.5 grs GD, 85 gr heeled Lee alox lube, 1.220oal, W pistol primer. Shooting just fired brass, no sizing etc. Boolit sits tight, slight crimp.
    Man this group took the cake, and all the icing also!!!!! Also fixed my front sight, it was loose, not anymore. Got my new ejector from Wisner's yesterday, sure is nice to have brass eject!!!
    1000-1050 fps chrono'd. Nice LIL Baby NO NOISE report!!! Cap gun HEE! HEE!
    Anyway, very HAPPY HERE!
    This is 10 shots!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5540.jpg  

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I load and shoot 32 Colt; L & S; in 2 pre WWI Colt revolvers. Really like it all.

Boolit Grand Master

Contact Old West Molds. He has modified Lee crimp dies to crimp heeled boolits. Also has a number of mold options. I have one of his dies for my 41Colt.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Contact Old West Molds. He has modified Lee crimp dies to crimp heeled boolits. Also has a number of mold options. I have one of his dies for my 41Colt.
    Thanks Wayne Old West Molds, nice to know! I'll check them out.

Boolit Master
    I have gotten a mould and two crimping dies for the 32 Long Colt and a 41 Long Colt mould, all from Old West Moulds. I recommend them highly.

On the 32, have him make you a crimping die for both the 32 Long Colt and the 32 Short Colt. I originally got only the Long Colt. Later I found out that finding Short Colt brass was much easier than Long Colt brass. The combination shell-holder/adjustable-center-bolt for the Long crimping-die cannot be made to work on the Short. However, I had him make me a different length bolt and I can use the same die on both length cartridges, just by changing the center bolt.

Congratulations on your rifle. Mine are two Colt Police Positive revolvers. They both have fixed sights so changing the POI took a file. I sighted one in for 32 Short Colt handloads and sighted in the other one for 32 Long Colt handloads.

Boolit Buddy
    Well it looks to be you can't hardly beat that! Nice job, it's half the fun to figure these ol gems out. Nice rifle to boot!

Boolit Master
    Terry... did you have to trim the LC brass to feed in your Marlin 92? Have you tried Short Colt brass? I have the same gun and bought reformed 32S&W brass and heeled base bulets. Thinking about simply converting to 32 S&W as brass is easily obtained. Comments?
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

You've hit a sweet spot with that old treasure of a rifle. Enjoy the happiness and like Mk42 said- squirrel & dumplings!

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    That is a well done project ! Sure does bring a happy thump in the heart area.
    We use our 32-20's on ground hog and raccoon with good success under 50 yards. Your rifle will have plenty of accuracy for head shots which are the best to "anchor' those hole borers with 32's.
    You are going to have many good years hauling that Marlin about !
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Nice rifle and fun project. Thanks for posting!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.