RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Ruger New Model Single Six .32 Project.

Boolit Master
    Today I took my "32 Long Colt" cylinder, three more Stainless Steel and one Blued .22RF Cylinders along with my .32 H&R Mag. Ruger Single Six to my gunsmith to get the "New cylinders fitted to the Frame and the .32 L.C. chambers 'cleaned up' a little.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 05-01-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Boolit Master
    Today is May 1st, Now Proclaimed Loyalty day I understand.
    I am "not so Patiently' waiting for my gunsmith to get all of my Candidate cylinders reworked to fit my Ruger .32 H&R Mag. Single Six Frame.

To me it appeared To be that the Distance from the Ratchet thrust surfaces to the Rear face of the .22LR used Cylinders was shorter than the frame equivalent dimension; and that the Overall cylinder ratchet thrust face to front of center bushing tip is longer than the Equivalent Frame dimension.

My thinking is that each .22RF cylinder needs a 'Skim Cut' on the rear face around the ratchet, over the Chamber rear faces, to get equal rear face clearance; then the center line overall length may need to be made a close fit to the Frame, with very small end clearance.

End clearance WILL be needed though to allow for Thermal Expansion of the cylinder materials, which is different for Stainless Steel and for Regular Alloy Steel.

Once these Operations are Done, the Candidate .22Rf cylinders can be re-cut to new chambers at a later time. once all the Used cylinders are Ready, the Revolver Barrel would then be Set back to match the modified .22RF cylinder length of cartridge Rim rear face to chamber Mouth length, and the existing .32 H&R Mag. Cylinder trimmed to match, so all would interchange easily and accurately.

My intent is to have a set of Stainless Steel Cylinders in various length of .32 COLT Cartridge diameters and a set of Blued Steel Cylinders in Various Length of .32 S&W Cartridge diameters.

Unfortunately, the Longest potential Cartridge, the .327 Fed. Mag. will NOT fit the modified Revolver if in Maximum Overall Cartridge Length condition, although a stubby 'Full Wad-Cutter' load may fit.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    It seems May 1st has several "Celebrations" involved in it over the years. Some are apparently Good and some apparently Bad, depending on the Reviewers' Viewpoint or Political Orientation.

I choose to HONOR America, its Veterans both Living and Past, and our National Ensign along with those used in the Past.

The American Revolution was Fought under several unofficial ensigns, including the Gladstone Design of a Coiled Rattlesnake on a Yellow field, now some consider 'not PC'. Another Early flag had a Union design of the British Ensign and a Field of 13 Horizontal Stripes alternating red and White.

After the Articles of Confederation were adopted by the previous 13 colonies, a 13 Star and 13 stripe design was Adopted as the, Defacto, National Ensign.

then, after the Constitution was Adopted it was approved as the First Approved National Ensign with 13, 5 point, stars on a Blue field as the 'Union' in the Top "Hoist" corner with 13 Horizontal Stripes, alternating Red and White.

As the Nation grew, at first the National Ensign was modified by adding one Star and one Stripe for each new State admitted; but this soon became ungainly so it was redefined as having the original 13 stripes representing the Original 13 States, and a Pattern of five point White stars, representing the increasing number of admitted States, on a Union field of Blue.

The Flag, "Old Glory" that flew during the 1812-1814 war had the then current design and still exists in the preserved condition reflecting its condition after that war.

Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 11-19-2017 at 12:39 PM.

A good sized chunk of "Old Glory" was cut off so a soldier could be buried in it.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    From Memory, I believe about Half of the 'Fly' of "Old Glory" was cut into small Pieces for 'souvenirs' before it was given to the Smithsonian for Preservation. The 'Union' also had at least one Star cut from it. It is now Sitched to a Supporting Cloth to hold the Remainder together for it is Weakened by Age and past Exposure to air and Light. and, like the original Declaration of Independence and Constitution, is displayed behind U.V. filtering Glass to extend it s 'life'.
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 06-13-2017 at 09:15 PM.

Boolit Master
    Bad news And good news:
    1. Ruger replied to my LGS about the Bad Cylinder. They Refuse to Exchange it unless I send in a 'Single Six' to have the New cylinder fitted to.
    A. My custom .25ACP CF 10-5.8" barreled "Single Eight" is NOT going Back to Ruger for them to return it to 'Stock RF ~6" barrel Single Six' before fitting a new cylinder.
    B. My .32 H&R is not a Candidate for a replacement .22 WMR Stainless Steel either.

2. My gunsmith has been out on a Movie shoot the last two weeks and is planning another one the Next weekend then going in for Knee surgery on his other Knee, be out about Two months estimated.

3. My gunsmith has trimmed my Three good Stainless Steel .22 Cylinders, and one Blued Cylinder, to fit into the frame of my .32 H&R Magnum "Single Six".

He thinks he may be able to ream the Blue Cylinder to .312" through before He goes away this time.

4. So I have about Two months to get a Straight Cylinder Wall .32ACP reamer made. And Also to Think about Ordering some other Reamers for Revolver Cylinder chambers.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    7-13-2017, one Month into the wait for my gunsmith to recover from his second Knee replacement surgery. The Waiting is tedious at best, but is required.

Another Wait is for a "Work Call" from my Union Dispatcher: NONE so far This Year.
    My Finances Are Lean at this time!

Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 12-28-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Boolit Master
    9-3-2017
    Sunday of Labor day weekend is frustrating here as a Local Major Brush fire is Saturating the Air with Smoke and fly ash. This fire has been ongoing since Friday and now the inside of my home smells of Burning wood. Adding to the all around "Frustration" is we are having a "Tropical heat wave" of 100 Plus degree Days and about 80 Degree Nights along with Higher than Normal Humidity. I Bet the Firefighters Are Really 'Miserable' as they Need to wear Heavy Protective Clothing while Doing Very Hard Work in this heat and added Fire Radiation.

No Work on Projects after early AM hours at all. No Outside Work in Midday for me at all.
    Little Inside work either as the house interior is running about 82 degrees WITH my Window A/C running. Just Sweat And bear it Time for Me.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    As of Nov.18th, I Spent the Last Week Working on Clearing MALWARE out of my Home computer. Very Frustrating Work!

Also, I now have in my hands a Stainless Steel Used Ruger ".22 Win. Magnum" roll marked 6 shot cylinder that has been Reamed to take ".32 Colt (Long) Cartridges of .318" Diameters using a PT&G finish Chamber reamer.
    The Chamber to chamber Web measure About .145" narrowest, and Chamber to outer surface about .072" narrowest. Some of the chambers show circumferential Tool Marks sadly, but it seems Typical of reaming hardened Stainless Steel With a HSS Alloy Reamer.
    Chips Just don't seem to clear well Unless A Pressure Flooding of coolant is used in a Machine Reaming Process.

As the revolver is still with my gunsmith, who is fitting other used 6 shot cylinders to it, I have not fired Any cartridges through this Cylinder yet. He will also be reaming a Blued Steel Used Ruger 6-shot Cylinder to accept .32ACP semi-rimmed Cartridges for my revolver.

On a separate Note: My Niece and her Boyfriend have been Preparing and Painting my front Porch Railing And Front Porch Roof Post And Beam supports in semi-Gloss White Oil Based 'Rustoleum' paint as a November Kindness to me. I am hoping this Oil Based Paint will survive Longer than the Water Based Paint used by Former Painters. I know It probably will NOT last as long as the Original Lead Oxide Pigment Oil based Paint that was used back in 1955 and was replaced in 1980s by Non-Lead Pigments and Then by Water Based Paints in the 1990s, 2000s, and 2010s by repeated House Painters. The Water Based Paints seem to have Short Weathering Life compared to the Older Oil Based Paints And Pigments. Perhaps this new coating, employing Titanium Oxide White pigment will Last longer.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Tuesday, December 12th, I authorized my gunsmith to set back the Barrel on my Ruger .32 H&R Mag. Single Six to fit the modified .22 Magnum Ruger cylinders I am having Reamed and rechambered in .32 Sizes, S&W diameter in Blued cylinders and Colt diameter in Stainless Steel cylinders. After changing the Barrel, he will trim the front of the .32H&R cylinder to fit my revised Barrel setting.

The whole Intent and purpose is to have a Test Revolver with Cylinders chambered for each length variation of these two families of cartridges.

I was not happy with firing short cartridges in the longer H&R chamber as it tends to cut rings in the chamber walls at the shorter Cartridge's mouth, making extraction of the longer cartridges more difficult over time and use.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Today, December 27th, my gunsmith showed me my Partially completed customized Ruger .32 H&R single six with its barrel and forcing cone set back to Fit the several used Ruger .22MAG cylinders front chamber face distance.

Also, the Original Ruger .32 H&R Mag cylinder front chamber face has been cut to fit the New forcing cone position in the frame.
    Final adjustments to the front face will be made to get the desired <.003" gap.

Best Regards,
    Chev. William

ADDED 2018MAR05: the cylinder to forcing cone gap is now .002" according to my gunsmith, Willie Clark. Chev. William
    Last edited by Chev. William; 03-06-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    I received from buffalo Arms a sample lot of 20 '.32 Long Colt' cases formed from Starline '.32 S&W Long cases. They Look very good and measure correctly per case drawing dimensions and a dial caliper.

I will Need to try them in my cylinder(s) when I get them back from my gunsmith.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Still waiting, sigh.

Boolit Master
    August 9th I received Back from my gunsmith, my Ruger .32 H&R Single Six Revolver Modified to allow interchangeable cylinders in Both .32 "S&W Family" diameters and .32 "Colt family" diameters.

He also hand me two modified cylinders; the first is my original .32 H&R cylinder shortened to fit the New Barrle Forcing cone position; and the Second is a Ruger Stainless Steel .22 MAG cylinder reworked to fit my modified Ruger frame and chambered in .32 Long Colt.

I have Three more fitted, but not bored, Stainless Steel .22 Mag cylinders for later making additional .32 Cylinders to work in my modified Revolver.

Now to Gather Materials to go for a Range session when the weather Moderates here.
    Sadly, some of my Medications seem to make me sensitive to UV exposure now, and our Summer Sun raises rashes and bumps on my exposed skin.

Chev. William

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chev. William View Post
    August 9th I received Back from my gunsmith, my Ruger .32 H&R Single Six Revolver Modified to allow interchangeable cylinders in Both .32 "S&W Family" diameters and .32 "Colt family" diameters.

He also hand me two modified cylinders; the first is my original .32 H&R cylinder shortened to fit the New Barrle Forcing cone position; and the Second is a Ruger Stainless Steel .22 MAG cylinder reworked to fit my modified Ruger frame and chambered in .32 Long Colt.

I have Three more fitted, but not bored, Stainless Steel .22 Mag cylinders for later making additional .32 Cylinders to work in my modified Revolver.

Now to Gather Materials to go for a Range session when the weather Moderates here.
    Sadly, some of my Medications seem to make me sensitive to UV exposure now, and our Summer Sun raises rashes and bumps on my exposed skin.

Chev. William
    What do I need to do to get a 32 H&R Single Six able to shoot the 32 Long Colt?...

Does the original 32 H&R cylinder need rechambered? Or do you have to start with a new cylinder?...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master
    BCB,
    If you read the thread, the Answers you seek are already Stated.
    In summary:
    1. Obtain a .22MAG Ruger 6-shot Cylinder.
    2. Verify the .22MAG cylinder will fit your .32H&R Single Six Frame and will rotate smoothly (my .22MAG cylinders 'dragged on the recoil face so required a skim cut on the back chamber face).
    3. Set back your .32 RugerBarrel to bring the Cylinder Chamber front face to Forcing cone clearance to about .003".
    4. Machine/Ream the .22MAG chambers out to a .32 Colt Long dimensions *this is smaller diameter than .32H&R diameters).
    5. Machine the Front chamber face of The.32 H&R cylinder to fit the Revised Frame and barrel/Forcing cone position to give about .003" clearance/gap.
    6. Test fire both Cylinders all chambers with suitable factory loaded Ammunition to verify all Proper functions.
    7. Enjoy your new Custom convertable Single six in .32 Caliber!

Chev. William

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info summery. It sure makes it easier to figure out. I did read the entire thread, but it did go off on some tangents and I got lost!!!...

Regardless, the 32 H&R cylinder must be shortened to work when the forcing cone is set back? (Likely goes without saying)

Did you ever shoot a 32 L.C. in the handgun (in the reamed 22 Magnum cylinder) without setting the forcing cone back? Would this be possible? Would accuracy be lousy?...

I guess I would like to take the “easy way out” if I would ever attempt such a project. It would be nice to let the handgun “stock” and still gain the benefit of shooting the 32 L.C. by just changing the cylinder…

Thanks…BCB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post
    Thanks for the info summery. It sure makes it easier to figure out. I did read the entire thread, but it did go off on some tangents and I got lost!!!...

Regardless, the 32 H&R cylinder must be shortened to work when the forcing cone is set back? (Likely goes without saying)

Did you ever shoot a 32 L.C. in the handgun (in the reamed 22 Magnum cylinder) without setting the forcing cone back? Would this be possible? Would accuracy be lousy?...

I guess I would like to take the “easy way out” if I would ever attempt such a project. It would be nice to let the handgun “stock” and still gain the benefit of shooting the 32 L.C. by just changing the cylinder…

Thanks…BCB
    BCB,
    Chuckling,
    Yes, the .32 H&R cylinder did require the Chamber area to be shortened to match the rear of Ratchet to Front of Chamber measurement of the .22MAG cylinder.

No, I did NOT attempt to fire the .32 Colt Long cylinder before having the Barrel and Forcing Cone set back. The Gap was visually Excessive.

The Frame and Barrel of the .32H&R Ruger single Six by Machining a Completely custom Cylinder from Raw 4140 Alloy Steel Heat treated to at least Rc20 before Machining. My guess is this would require some custom Carbide tooling and a CNC Machining Center along with the Machining program/software to get repeatable results. Alternatively, a Very Good Journeyman Machinist and Job Shop with Suitable Financial incentives.

Enjoy,
    Chev. William

Boolit Master

BCB,
    Chuckling,
    Yes, the .32 H&R cylinder did require the Chamber area to be shortened to match the rear of Ratchet to Front of Chamber measurement of the .22MAG cylinder.

No, I did NOT attempt to fire the .32 Colt Long cylinder before having the Barrel and Forcing Cone set back. The Gap was visually Excessive.

The Frame and Barrel of the .32H&R Ruger single Six by Machining a Completely custom Cylinder from Raw 4140 Alloy Steel Heat treated to at least Rc20 before Machining. My guess is this would require some custom Carbide tooling and a CNC Machining Center along with the Machining program/software to get repeatable results. Alternatively, a Very Good Journeyman Machinist and Job Shop with Suitable Financial incentives.

Enjoy,
    Chev. William
    O.K. Thanks...

Guess I will take this information to the 'smith I have had do some minor work for me and see if he might be interested in this project. I am pretty sure he is capable of doing it as he is a schooled 'smith and seems to have a good business...

Maybe he can give me an estimate as to cost and a timeframe. His turnover time is dang slow, so a project like this could take many months and maybe year!!!...

We shall see what we shall see...

Thanks...BCB

Boolit Master
    P Flados,
    Your Trip into Forming .327 FM Cases from .223 Brass is Very Interesting.
    I have Bought some Empty New Brass at my Local Reloading supplies store for About $19.00 a Bag of 100 for .32 H&R Mag and .327 FM cartridges (The cases are Starline Head Stamp). Both have been used to experiment with Swaging down to .32 Colt diameters. I Feel Lucky that I can Occasionally find such deals to Experiment with. I noted that Midway had a 'Sale" on .327 Fed. Mag "Starline" Empty brass a While back at about $21.00 a Hundred. So it is sometimes Available on line at 'Reasonable" Prices for Frugal User needs.

racepres,
    Yes, The Labor is more than 'buying off The Shelf' ammo and cases but I have more Time than Money at this time in my Life.

shoot-n-lead,
    The forming of .25 Cases is a needed Effort to get some of my older firearms "Speaking" again as .25Stevens (Long) Rim fire ammo is not Commercially Available now, it is all "Collector Priced".
    The 'One Time' costs to convert a Stevens Favorite or Model 44 to Center Fire is Well Spent in my opinion as i tallow s Reloading instead of 'one use' shooting. Besides I paid for the conversions back when I was still getting 'Work Calls' relatively Steadily in my early Retirement.

The Two Ruger Revolvers Are Late Purchase and Projects to get Strong Action Firearms for Load Developments that woudl strain the Stevens Actions unnecessarily.
    Best Regards,
    Chev. William
    Jogged my memory ... Elmer Keith - Sixguns: "The 25 Stevens, now almost off the market, is a far better rim fire cartridge for small game hunting, and should be retained' ...'It is amply accurate, and has about twice the killing power of the .22 L.R."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast