MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee 7/8 oz drive key slug accuracy and my weapons

Lee 7/8 oz drive key slug accuracy and my weapons

Hi to all,

I just finished trying out my Lee 7/8 oz Drive Key Slug for accuracy on my Mossberg 500 Thurkey THUG 12 gauge and came up with following results (photos).

The Photo with the Shotgun
    is actually my gun and same model is coming soon in 20 gauge. I believe These are very nice guns (I painted this one over with Brownells Aluma Hyde II matte clear epoxy gun paint). This photo Shows the entrance of the 7/8 oz Lee drive key slug from an distance of 50 meters. I shot 4 times and had 2 hits. First shot and top hit was sitting yesterday (did not know for sure were to hold the peep Military style sights and got an lucky hit). Today second and 3rd shots were a miss (went over the target since I did not know were to hold the sights) and 4th shot I aimed the post right in the middle of the rear aperture and it impacted were I aimed. The 20 Liter bin was full of water and got pushed over from the Impact force and quiet a bit of water splash. It was very windy. The wads you observe have heavy indentations from the slug and the empty hull is the hit in the middle of the bin.
    I believe this weapon System and 7/8 oz slug are a good defense System and accuracy is awesome I would say to 100 meters. You will hit were you aim.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accuracy Lee 7-8 oz Drive key slug ENTRANCE (50 meters) and Shotgun.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	178842Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accuracy Lee 7-8 oz Drive key slug EXIT (50 meters) and Pistol set up.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	178843

The Picture with the 9mm Luger pistol is the Exit side of the Lee 7/8 oz drive key slug. Both hits went right through from an distance of 50 meters (20 Liter recipient was full of water).
    Observe as well my pistol set up. It is a nice PDW System as I believe. Has an foldable UTG foreward grip (storage compartment can hold 4 9mm Luger rounds) and an pistol Mount which holds on top an common LED (2 AA Batteries) Mini MAG LITE. The light has to be rattled and shook to give full power light but it recovers lighting power allways. Has never failed while firing the SD9VE. The light shines at the front post of the pistol so I can allways see the sigths in the dark (no Need for night sigths).
    I believe this is an awesome Personal Defense Weapon Setup and no needing of an MAC, UZI, CRISS Vector, Thompson gun. This is perfectly legal in Southamerica within the homestead. In the US I understand putting an foregrip on your pistol gets you 10 years of jail.
    You see as well the transformed (factory birdshot transformed shotgun shells) shells. The red one is an argentinian brand in which the slug is slipping so I filled it with candle wax; the other is another birdshot shell transformed to 7/8 oz Lee drive key slug and it stays well locked in. Like this I shoot these. Remember: The slug has ALLWAYS LESS weight than the original birdshot had (in order to avoid pressure problems).

Wanted to Show you guys the accuracy of the Lee 7/8 slug and my weapons as well.
    Last edited by TheGuyFromSouthamerica; 10-15-2016 at 08:19 PM.

Lee 7/8 oz drive key slug accuracy and my weapons

I think the foregrip on your pistol is very impractical. As far as your accuracy, we need to see more. Details, load components, powder, etc.

And BTW, birdshot always creates more pressure than slugs of the same weight. For example, one oz of 7.5 shot will create more pressure than a 1 oz slug.

Load data is: #5 birdshot 1 1/4 oz brand RIO. data should be on their webpage.

I just cut the crimp, pull out the shot and stuff into the wad the 7/8 oz Lee Drive Key slug. That simple.

I was thingking the pistol foregrip gives me an perfect PDW system since I have 2 contact points (can grab it with 2 hands). The grip is foldable (foreward) so it can be used as an normal pistol. It is unusual but who knows in stress situations how the 2 grip PDW works.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuyFromSouthamerica View Post
    Load data is: #5 birdshot 1 1/4 oz brand RIO. data should be on their webpage.

I just cut the crimp, pull out the shot and stuff into the wad the 7/8 oz Lee Drive Key slug. That simple.

I was thingking the pistol foregrip gives me an perfect PDW system since I have 2 contact points (can grab it with 2 hands). The grip is foldable (foreward) so it can be used as an normal pistol. It is unusual but who knows in stress situations how the 2 grip PDW works.
    That foregrip works on carbine length, CQB weapons, which a pistol already is. Think of a pistol as a foregrip that shoots. But to each their own.

Have you chrono'd those loads? Is your mossberg a 500, 535, or 835?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    You're not concerned about changing the payload by 3/8 oz? I know some people are more caviler with load data than others, but my understanding was that with shotguns you really don't want to mess much with the load. Happy to be educated here but on its face it makes me nervous.

Boolit Grand Master

He is reducing payload by 3/8 oz. so no problem with too much pressure. The only real issue is whether there will be enough pressure generated to give good powder burn. If powder does not generate enough pressure to burn properly then it is possible he might get a blooper load leaving a slug in the bore. Unlikely I think but possible.

Longbow

I see the OP is banned now? Curious if this conversation is still going on?

Wonder what got him banned? He seems like a reasonable fellow. While I don't care for his weapons set up, they are innovative and I don't have to like his stuff.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Indeed. I wondered the same thing. Seemed like a potential valuable member of a community.

To clarify.... I wanted to chat about the casting and 7/8 ounce slug, not necessarily his conduct or history.

Banned

more than likely because putting a foregrip on a pistolis illegal

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    more than likely because putting a foregrip on a pistolis illegal
    It may be illegal in the US, but they guy appeared to be someplace in South America. They might have different laws.