WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shot maker

well based on your experience I order one of those off eBay. after a few attempts to make my own and getting snow flakes rather than anything that even resemble shot it is worth 80 bucks to try it out. Have you shot any of your shot yet?
    Do you have a source for graphite ? How much should be used ? thanks for the info.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Boolit Master

you can purchase graphite at any john deere dealer, farmers use it to lube planters.

Boolit Master
    cool... im getting back into shot making after a few to many years.... I have a cool table top unit that claims 5lbs per hour! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...otmaker-set-up

my other set up is a james stewart model I picked up used and has been great. Shot some of my best trap scores with it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    would very much like to see those photos when you get the time.
    Same here,I bought one awhile back and dropped it,when it hit the floor I had a big crack from end to end,I tried to wield it but never did get it into production
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Quote Originally Posted by True.grit View Post
    well based on your experience I order one of those off eBay. after a few attempts to make my own and getting snow flakes rather than anything that even resemble shot it is worth 80 bucks to try it out. Have you shot any of your shot yet?
    Do you have a source for graphite ? How much should be used ? thanks for the info.
    Sir I have loaded mine but not shot it yet. Neg on the graphite, have not found a good local source, was debating if I needed it.
    It does load well and meters fine through my old Lyman easy loader.

From what I have seen, the critical part is the coolant. Needs to be close to the lip. If it is too thin doesn't work well, same for too thick.

I think if you are going to make your own without a shot maker you need to drop it into hot water. It is that big shock from hot to cold that makes them blow up like popcorn.

Boolit Buddy
    Graphite is pretty easy to find - Google " Graphite for seeds " and you will find it quickly.

Most farm stores carry it or you can order it from Amazon. 1 pound will go a long way.

Well I got mine in the mail today . I just followed the instructions and it started making shot right off. I use low toxic antifreeze for coolant . I made 40lb in 3 hours . The only problem that i had was the coolant got to hot and the shot started to flatten out. I only had one gallon of antifreeze and no recirculation pump. I plan to fix that problem for next time. One more run and I have paid for the investment . Thanks for all the advice/info.

Vendor Sponsor

Well I got mine in the mail today . I just followed the instructions and it started making shot right off. I use low toxic antifreeze for coolant . I made 40lb in 3 hours . The only problem that i had was the coolant got to hot and the shot started to flatten out. I only had one gallon of antifreeze and no recirculation pump. I plan to fix that problem for next time. One more run and I have paid for the investment . Thanks for all the advice/info.
    what were you using as a heat source ?
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Value of lead if sold $1/lb
    Cost of Magnum shot $1.60/lb
    Without factoring cost of heat, coolant, screens....savings of $.60/lb

Time to produce 40 lb. - 3 hr... savings of $24.....$8/hr.
    Cost of shot maker $80
    Breakeven after 10 hr...133 lbs of shot

Cost of being self-sufficient.....priceless.

Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    what were you using as a heat source ?
    Weed burner

I made stand that allowed the weed burner to be under the ladle. the clearances are tite to get the coolant under the ramp and with in a 1/4" of the bottom .

I am going to make a radiator of sorts to cool the coolant tomorrow.
    I did get grafite from the John Deer dealer. 1 pound was $7.50. It should last me a lifetime.

One other thing I noticed, if you have to much lead in the ladle it will run to fast and your coolant heats up rather quickly. Keep the level of lead in the ladle so you can see the top of the nuts on the drippers.
    Like Gosthawk said it is an art. Lots of fun to make. Shot around here goes for 45 bucks a bag. So for me it's well worth he effort. I hope this helps someone else to be successful. Happy shooting.

Boolit Master

you guys suckered me in, just got the ok from the wife to order one, probably going to need more lead now.

Boolit Master
    What brand etc. of antifreeze are your using?

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    What brand etc. of antifreeze are your using?
    I just used what I had on hand . Preston low toxic. the instructions recommend RV antifreeze. I got some to try today because it was cheap at Walmart and non toxic. I do not think that is very critical for good results.

Don't get the Walmart brand RV antifreeze ,it's to light and does not work well. I am almost using the antifreeze strait out of the bottle. Get the concentrate not the mix.

Boolit Buddy
    I should stay off this site. GhostHawk, nice write up. I just ordered one of these and will try to follow you. I have a bayou burner already for both cooking and smelting. It is short, square, and can take the weight of a 6qt dutch oven I use for smelting.

I looked and saw sets of 7 drippers on ebay as well with shot sizes down to #6. 7.5 will be good for most things. I will be thrilled if I can cast enough shot to recover the cost of the shot maker.

All, please keep posting your tips, tricks, and/or results.

thanks rch

Boolit Buddy
    I'm back. My Ebay Dripper is "in the mail".

I have a burner in a low square frame that I use to heat my lead smelting pot (holds about 50 pounds at a melt) so it will be strong enough for this project.

True Grit, the weed burner sounds exciting, but, I am 66 and the last time I played with a weed burner I almost set my house on fire.

I may try to build a little more formal frame for the dripper. I will follow the GhostHawk approach.

Issues from the above thread seem to be coolant management, coolant height, shot ledge lubricant, and lead reloading. I am thinking that with very little additional hardware, I could place my 20 lb lyman pot to feed the shot dripper plate (or maintain it by adding melted pb directly to the plate) or use a ladle to transfer it.

I have no idea what I am doing, but, I am in for the ride. Now I am thinking about a coolant bucket and coolant management. I love the box that GhostHawk has made.

Anybody made any more progress?

rch

Boolit Master

been watching youtubes and the Russians have it down to a science, wish I could understand what they are saying.

Boolit Master

would krol oil work on the ramp. what else other that than the bens lube that ghosthawk uses do you guys use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed_Shot View Post
    Attachment 178959

130+ pounds of shot drying in the sun.
    This picture freaks me out, the few times I have dropped shot from my bench it flies EVERYWHERE! I imagine you poured this out very carefully...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast