Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Shot maker

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    What alloy are you using? Your shot looks pretty shiny, hopefully your alloy has some antimony if not that maybe your problem. The pics I posted are using a 94/3/3 alloy.

Scott
    Wheel weight ingots I cast earlier this year.

I have some Linotype and some pure lead I could mix.....do you have a recommendation of a mixture of it that would work better? I'm not really all that familiar with the recipe figures you mention. I'm still a complete novice in that regard

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 19ellis93 View Post

I have some Linotype and some pure lead I could mix.....do you have a recommendation of a mixture of it that would work better? I'm not really all that familiar with the recipe figures you mention. I'm still a complete novice in that regard
    WW alloy is your best bet, that is what I was told works best.

I'm guessing it is down to the heat control.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 19ellis93 View Post

5 parts lead to 1 part linotype works just fine.

For all you fellows wondering if home made shot is as good as factory shot, I shot my first 25 strait with my homemade shot last Saturday.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

Good shootin' TG!
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Nicely done sir.

Boolit Master

AWESOME!!
    Well done, well done
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Thanks fellas, I shot 95/100 with one perfect. It's definitely worth the effort to make for me. Although it puts a real dent in my lead supply.
    Buzzards got to eat, same as the worms.

when it comes to the drippers which one do you like better single or double , i guess the single would be easier to keep up with , does anyone on this forum make the drippers and sale them

Part of the reason I bought what I bought was that it was the first shot maker for sale at reasonable price that included the drippers. Mine are doubles. My shot tank holds about 5 gallons of liquid. After I have been baby sitting that girl for an hour or 2 I am more than ready to get the shot out, rinse it twice, and pour it onto an old towel to dry. And then get me some chair time with an iced tea and a pup in my lap.

Capacity is not my concern. Being able to continue to reload shotgun shells even with the high cost of lead shot is. And beyond that really. It is one more of those hedges against if the SHTF things. The more skills/tools you have the more you can do the more flexible you are the better you can cope. This is just one more string for my bow IMO.

Couple of points, the very nice gentleman from Littleton shot makers mentioned hinging the shotmaker, so you can lift it up, shut it off, stick a block under it. Add lead, change a dripper, whatever. This seemed brilliantly thought out to me and I hope to work on this idea if I ever find my ambition again.

It also means instead of slowing down, making odd shaped odd sized shot while it peters to a quit you just stop. Stop the flow, lets you clean out, answer a phone call, whatever.

I am also thinking of ways to use an old lee dipper pot to premelt my lead.

thanks GhostHawk alot of ideas here really puts your mind to work

Boolit Master

Well I have been bit by this making shot bug, wife hates yall. LOL Bought the pan and it came in fast, but it is in the same state. Waiting on drippers now. Will report as things get going. Thanks Much
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/maxx69.123/...p2047675.l2562
    The drippers came in as well, now for the heat, I want to use an electric element of some kind.
    Last edited by RED333; 06-28-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Because I can
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    I built a frame that held my magma 40lb pot above my Better shot maker, allowing me tohave a continuous stream of alloy into the shot maker's pot. I set the PID on 825 degrees and dropped muffins into the pot every time the level got below 1/2. The pot never got above 750 deg.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345