RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Howa mini-Mauser

Boolit Grand Master

Howa mini-Mauser

Got the Cabela's flyer today. I was all set to buy a Savage Axis and saw they had the Howa on for $350.

Ordered it and hope to pick it up next week. No charge for shipping to store.

Don Verna

I predict that you'll love it. I've got a Zastava Mk.X Mini-Mauser in .223. Not the same item, but the same idea.

I also have a Zastava Mark X mini-mauser that I bought many years ago. Mine is the 7.62x39mm and I bought it as a barrelled action and put it into a Bell & Carlson black synthetic stock. It has a good adjustable trigger and all steel floorplate and triggerguard too. I think you'll be very happy with yours. Which calibre did you buy it in?
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master
    Reverend Al

I got the .223 and it is the only caliber they had. But it is the caliber I wanted so all is good.

Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Howa makes excellent rifles, I've been told they are a well executed rendering of the Sako. I received one in .30'06 for my 13th Christmas with the fancy Weatherby style stock. Over the years it took quite a few deer, I replaced the furniture with a takeoff Weatherby Vanguard Tupperware stock that fit me better and was more suited to actual hunting use. Today it wears an E.R. Shaw stainless 24" magnum contour barrel in .257 Roberts with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 scope which I like very much.

Picked mine up this week. Mounted a new set of Leupold bases and waiting for my new scope to arrive. my first 223.
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

Don’t ever trust a man who doesn’t like John Wayne

Howa mini-Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Got the Cabela's flyer today. I was all set to buy a Savage Axis and saw they had the Howa on for $350.

Ordered it and hope to pick it up next week. No charge for shipping to store.

Don Verna
    I handled a mini Mauser in .223 ( only caliber they had) at cabelas on Thursday as they are on the clearance rack. Seemed like a really nice gun for the money. Between working too much, getting married on December 10 and other projects going on I don't have time to mess with one at the moment. Probably regret it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 11-06-2016 at 03:20 AM.

FWIW, Boyds has a stock for it now (< link). That tuperware thing is like a wad of rubber but a buddy's getting less than MOA out of his .223 Mini with handloads and some tweaking. Not bad for $311 with rebate.

Pretty slick action, reminiscent of the old Sako Vixen/L-461 actions in both footprint and function.

Boolit Bub
    Can you please post information or a link for the rebate?
    Thank you

I have an old S&W 1500 in 223 made by Howa and it is an absolute pleasure to shoot and is a tack driver. It's bolt construction is similar to my Sako L57 medium action in 243.

Boolit Master
    Was reading an article on Brownell`s web site today,maybe some of you have seen it.If I read it right,they are a dealer for Howa.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

What is the twist rate? Good looking rifle the action looks very close to my old Sako 461.

RB

The $311 post-rebate was a few months ago. They were cheap at Cabela's and/or buds gun shop though, cheaper than Brownell's barreled actions by a lot.

The Mini in .223 Rem is a 9 twist. Not sure about other chamberings.

Warne has made some one-piece picatinny scope mounts too (±$69) seeing as how the Weaver Remington two-piece bases seemed to stress the scope tube quite a bit preventing QD rings from returning to zero if you pulled the scope for cleaning/storage.

I can confirm that the Mini is indeed a close copy of the Sako L461.

Talking

So let's stop calling it a mini "Mauser" shall we? Just kidding. Best,Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    Will all bases for the Howa short action work on the mini?

Boolit Master
    I just got my hands on one of these in 6.5 Grendel. It doesn't have one of the gummy feeling Hogue stocks. The stock seems fine to me, I guess it could be a little stiffer and even liter. I got the kryptic cammo option, and am satisfied with it over all. It's going to be my light weight walk around/woods deer rifle! Two pice Rem 700 bases work great, but one pice bases are hard to come by if you just gots to go that route. I followed Howa, s break in procedure of shooting and cleaning, mounted a Leupold 1.5-4x20 scope and bore sighted it. Had it sighted in on target with 4 shots then shot a few 3 shot groups. It's giving me about 1 to 1.25 3 shot groups at 100 yards with factory ammo, and that's probably about as good as I can shoot with that 4x!

Yea, I'm tickled pink with it! The only thing I modified was that long magazine release. I cut it down so it's more of a button than a lever so it takes a deliberate push. The stock release seemed designed for prone shooting where you reach forward grab the magazine and hit the release. I found it very easy to dump the magazine accidentally while carrying, so I cut it down. Happy happy happy!