Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drop tube compression die or both?

Drop tube compression die or both?

I'm getting ready to start loading my first black powder cartridges today for my two Argentine Rolling Blocks. I wanted to know if I can just use the compression die that I have or would I need to use a drop tube first then use the die.

Boolit Master
    Depends on your charge. A drop tube will only settle the powder. Compression is generally a good thing but may not be necessary if you don't have any empty space under the boolit. If the case is filled to the point where the boolit base will compress the powder I'd use a compression die before seating.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Alot depends on the how the powder charge fills the case. On some the powder charge is close to the case mouth making the case harder to handle with oput spilling powder. In this case the frop tube may help some. I use the compression die also. I drop charge and put in case thru a 3' drop tube, really not a big deal to do as the tube sits besides the measure and scales. Once the batch is charged I insert the first wad in all of the batch, and compress the charge to required depth for overall length with the bullet Im loading. Finding the right compression makes a big diffrence in fouling and accuracy.

Banned

it would be best if you include more info such as what bullet type, what lube, how will the bullet be seated, did you make up a dummy round to find the max OAL, will you crimp the bullet, what are you shooting at, etc, etc.

but from what you've said so far, and from my vantage point, the safe bet for you is do both. drop tube the bp so it best integrates in the case, then put in a wad, then compress slightly. at the very least, compression will assure no air space.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Lot of variables that only the rifle and the target can answer. Sometimes simply drop tubing a powder charge will work , provided that doesn't let the bullet nose get deformed during the seating process. Somtimes when looking for the ultimate load you might end up drop tubing a bigger charge into the case and will need to use the compression die.
    There are some instances of folks shooting good scores that simply dump the charge into the case and then compress...
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I pretty much quite using my drop tube unless I just use the Lyman 55 type powder drop. For that I have a 38" tube that sits on the case held in the loading block on the floor and the funnel is just under the powder drop. The tubes are made with type K 3/8 OD copper refrigeration tubing with a 5/8 OD X 3/8 OD sweat reducer that fits the .40 through 50 cases. When I use the electronic powder measures for my match loads ( I really don't know why ) I use a short 6" drop tube and slow drop the powder and tap the funnel rim with the powder pan and that settles the powder better then the long tube. With you just starting to load black powder it's best you try different ways and pick the one that works best.
    One thing I will say that will shorten your load developments and that is use a what I call ladder loads. This is starting with no compression to depending the powder used. Swiss or the Olde Eynsford usually don't need much compression. They both also work well with heavy compressed loads but usually both powders will work just fine with something less then .250". You can load two or three rounds with 1 grain intervals, like 60-61-62 gr and so on. Doing this you will see the group start to shrink. The best group you can verify with a 5 shot group using the same load and fine tune it from there.
    Just because some ones load works with say .200" compression don't mean it will shoot just as good in your rifle. This is something you will have to look for yourself. Bullet choice and design is probably the hardest to match with your rifle for the type of shooting you want to do.
    Keep it simple and you will get it going faster. ......Kurt
    Last edited by Lead pot; 10-15-2016 at 07:20 PM.

Boolit Master

Full sizing can be an issue as well. Decide before hand whether to full size or not. I'm guessing "NOT" is the better option. Just be aware that switching to or from full sizing can really mess up all that "perfect compression" data.

Banned

lotta good ways - and maybe not so good ways - to skin the bpcr loading cat. it's probably best to have a game plan for the loading route to take with the end goal in mind, which for some is killing critters and others killing paper or steel. or all of those things.

i don't like to work the brass, so fire forming is the way to go for me. that means loading is ridiculously easy and fool proof for an old fool like me.

and there is no substitute for experimentation as there are so many variables to guns 'n' loads, just make one change at a time and evaluate.

In Remembrance
    I'm still using both, but I haven't moved on to Step 3, yet, because I had to go back to Step 2.

I don't shoot often, but I try to stay organized in order to keep track of progress.
    It turned out that most of my 2015 shooting was invalid due to eyesight going bad and me not knowing it.
    This year I haven't shot any to speak of as I have been getting the eyes fixed.
    Due to the setback, I have to retest loads to see what I want to choose as my 'best load' for small groups.

But, when doing the initial load workup I got the best ES and SD numbers when I shot loads that had been droptubed ... then compressed.

I don't know if that will hold up as a 'benefit', but after I get a few loads that I trust, I will start using the chronograph to see if droptubing still seems useful.

I won't be sorry to cut that out of my routine if it proves to be ineffectual.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Vendor Sponsor

For match ammo I load Swiss powder exclusively. I only drop tube it into the case. Never any compression. Droptubing takes zero extra time. My routine is setup so that weighing and putting powder into the case is a smooth operation.
    Having a first class industrial scale is really the keystone to speed. I load way too many hundreds of rounds of match BPCR ammo every month to not have a routine I am happy with and that works for me.

We are not all the same. What I do and like may not work well for you nor even make you happy.

If you shoot powders that you believe need compression you will have steps some of us do not take.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Buddy
    I do both. The reason is not real scientific, but it works for me. I drop tube first, so on the way to the compression die, I don't dump any powder out. It also helps make a little room to place the wad in before I compress it. So that's why I do it, like I said not too technical, but it helps me keep the loads a little more consistant.
    A gun in hand is worth two cops on the phone.
    MOLON LABE

Banned

no question that besides compacting the kernals, drop tubing or vibrating the case will get more powder in, too.

Boolit Master
    Chill, What kind of scale and powder measure? I am always looking for a better way.

Boolit Grand Master

Im using a Belding and Mull powder measure for several reasons, its from the era or close to it for BP use, I load for several rifles and its easy to make measure tubes as needed to have them sitting there pre set and ready to go. They are easy to change powders over when going to diffrent granulations brands. I have been thinking about a harrels BP measure some latley though.

Boolit Master
    Country Gent, I have a Harrel's Precision BP measure and like it a lot. However I don't use it as much as I used to as this year I bought an MVA measure from Shiloh that I like even more than the Harrel's.

With respect to the original poster's question, I drop tube and then use a compression die. I always have at least a very small ( 0.050" ) amount of compression, just to ensure that my wad is sitting at the same depth in each case.

Chris.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    Chill, What kind of scale and powder measure? I am always looking for a better way.
    kokomokid,
    I use a very large, maybe 20-25 pounds, Denver Instrument scale (Answorth) Not inexpensive but I have zero trouble with it and I use it all the time so I can justify the cost. I have had it about 20 years and loaded tens of thousands, maybe over a hundred thousands - nah, well.... maybe I have. It has only been turned off a few times in all these years. They are designed to be on and work well left on.

I use either one of two Lyman measures that I have refitted with large brass hoppers. I keep them tuned and in the high, dry, mountain air, they give little trouble. I also do not adjust powder charges but rather go with a range of drops within my tolerance. Rarely do they miss the drop outside the window target weight +/- one tenth. If I do get an outlier, I just dump it back in the hopper and throw another.

I can't see any difference on the target from three tenths spread to exact.

What are you using?
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 11-06-2016 at 09:13 AM.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master
    I tried a Pact electronic but it kept drifting as I used it. I now drop just under weight with a Redding brass hopper and trickle up to exact weight before drop tube. Yep slow and boring.

Boolit Buddy
    Argentine rolling blocks, probably the original cartridge. I' d suggest just throwing the charge in the case - that'll be already more than enough powder....

Boolit Master
    I'll admit I probably do stuff the hard way, but I use both drop tube (24") and a compression die after I weigh charges with a GOOD scale (Sartorious magnetic restoration). I know my numbers from the Oehler say what I'm doing looks good on paper and the target says the same.

My caveat is that I don't shoot more than a few hundred of rounds per year. Less than a thousand for sure in the BPCTR's, so I don't worry about any extra time I take.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    My caveat is that I don't shoot more than a few hundred of rounds per year. Less than a thousand for sure in the BPCTR's, so I don't worry about any extra time I take.
    It makes sense to me. You have to believe in the quality of the ammo you are shooting to do your best.
    Last edited by Chill Wills; 11-06-2016 at 09:11 AM.
    Chill Wills

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast