Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Copperized lead for Muzzle loading rifles?

Copperized lead for Muzzle loading rifles?

Gentlemen, my daughters partner is a lead roofer, he has quite a bit of copperized lead left over from jobs,. I don't imagine that it would be any good for minnie' or pritchett bullets as they would have to be pretty hard, but may be fine for round ball and bullets, for say slug rifles or maybe the .451 Volunteer, including the Whitworth rifle ?
    Has anyone had experience good or bad with this alloy? He does have plenty of pure lead offcuts so I have a good supply that way.
    Does copperized lead cast ok in aluminium or brass moulds? I imagine cast iron mould blocks would be fine.

Cheers

Heelerau
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

Banned

Is this actually an alloy of lead and copper or is it plated copper or something like that?
    Last edited by dondiego; 10-15-2016 at 12:06 PM.

Mate, it is a lead copper alloy.
    Keep yor hoss well shod an' yo powda dry !

Perma-Banned
    dependin' on what else might be present in it, you might be able to melt it at the proper temp & skim the copper off the top like fluxin' it.

Banned

You will just have to try to melt some and see if it casts well. I bet it might make a good alloy hardener.

Please spray your mold cavities with graphite or some release agent. I'd hate to see the alloy bond with the mold. Maybe use some crappy mold you are about to toss for starters in case it gets fused. I'm just a worry wart.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Boolit Master
    It may be too hard for a muzzleloader but it might make some good cartridge bullets. A few years back when Remington got back into muzzleloading they were marketing a washed round ball It looked like they were using brass and they were just too hard and didn't take to the patch or rifleing very well hence they didn't shoot well. all you can do is try. We all experiment with this stuff thats most of the fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks 1Hawkeye, I ended up with some of these in a trade and wondered wth!
    ]Why does anyone need an assault rifle? My first need is articulated in the US v Miller 1939 decision: every citizen eligible for volunteer or conscript military service, every member of the unorganized militia, should be familiar with his nation's military service rifle, and the service rifles of potential allies and foes as well, to support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.

Boolit Grand Master

A fellow on another board was using pure copper RBs to shoot with and had great success so an alloy would not be too hard with the proper patch. I might add this person was in CA and needed a non-lead alternative. Like others said, you'll just have to try them and see. Some lead had harder alloys than copper and still does fine.
    Aim small, miss small!

In Remembrance

can this stuff be swaged?
    "...the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that what we desire will ruin us. This book is about the possibility that Huxley, not Orwell, was right.” -N.Postman

Copper is soluble in pure lead @ 0.3% at room temp. You MUST have some Sb to take anything over the 0.3% else you get a MIXTURE of Cu/Pb - not good. It casts fine without Sn. It works great for smokeless boolits. Don't know about the others. It adds some hardness and a lot of toughness.
    Whatever!

Lead melts at 600 and copper at 2000. You are going to need forge to melt (the copper) and remold this alloy. Your aluminum mold melts at 1200, FYI.

You might try heating it to 600+ and you might be able to flux out the copper as it will not have melted yet.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
    Lead melts at 600 and copper at 2000. You are going to need forge to melt (the copper) and remold this alloy. Your aluminum mold melts at 1200, FYI.

You might try heating it to 600+ and you might be able to flux out the copper as it will not have melted yet.
    Not if it is truly "alloyed". It will melt in the temperature range normal lead alloys do.