Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: .307 Winchester 94

Boolit Master

.307 Winchester 94

Back when Winchester was having a "centennial" of the Winchester 94 rifle, I bought one of their Big Bore models in 307 Winchester. Its a rimmed 308 cartridge and I had the dies already that fit it using a shell holder for a 30-30. Of course it was supposed to be the coming thing and so much better than the 30-30 Winchester. But it died almost immediately leaving those of us with a 307 Winchester rifle not having any source for boolets or molds or anything. Lucky I bought 500 cases from Winchester when I bought the rifle, just to get started. But I never found out what boolet mold to use, so the few times I have fired it, I have just used a box of jacketed bullets I bought with the rifle. So, what boolet mold would work good in this rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    Any bullet that a 30-30 uses. Mine likes Remington or hornady 150 grain bullets best, with a near full load of w748.

Great caliber. I recently had a Marlin 30AS rechambered to 307. A lot of good info over on the Shooters Forum. Do a search for Slim Iorg. He has a lot of experience with the 307. The 307 & 356 were never appreciated for how great they are.
    Last edited by Shawlerbrook; 10-14-2016 at 02:36 PM.

Depends on a number of things. Depending on th OAL of cartridge and magazine you may be able to shoot the 200 + gr boolits at optimum speeds with the slower powders to better the 30-30s performance. Like a 210 or 220 boolit with a full case of Leverevolution powder or something like that or 4350 and push it up past the 2200 fps mark. With advanced casting knowledge or PPing you could get higher velocities with heavier boolits, many with higher BCs. It will definitely push a jword boolit faster.
    May you hands be warmed on a frosty day.

Moderator Emeritus

Use 308 data -5% to work up as the brass is a tad thicker. Paco Kelly was able to use standard 308 brass as his ejector caught the rim. He wrote quite a bit about the cartridge. Use any fp 30 cal bullet 31141, RCBS 180fp. NOE's 150, 165, 175, 180 hunters. Find what fits your throat, build your loads and have a great time.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Use 308 data -5% to work up as the brass is a tad thicker. Paco Kelly was able to use standard 308 brass as his ejector caught the rim. He wrote quite a bit about the cartridge. Use any fp 30 cal bullet 31141, RCBS 180fp. NOE's 150, 165, 175, 180 hunters. Find what fits your throat, build your loads and have a great time.
    I have fired some experimental rounds though my 307 Winchester also using regular Lake City 308 brass, which is supposed to be thicker like the 307 brass is. And they all eject just fine from the rifle. But I was just experimenting with some light 120 grain cast boolets from the M1 carbine and they didn't shoot too well. So I started looking for a boolet mold for the rifle, that shoots and handles through the tube feed well. I have never seen a "factory" round for the rifle so I don't know what the shape is for a boolet, and where do the crimping grooves belong. And what is the optimum boolet weight for the rifle?

Moderator Emeritus

Same as 308 165-170 should be perfect. It is a rimmed 308. PM Onceabull, he has 3 or 4 of them.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I think I remember the 307 takes flat-nosed or round-nosed bullets like the 30-30 cartridge because of the tubular magazine and the length limitations. Jacketed wise any of the 150's or 170's intended for the 30-30. The new "gummy tipped" bullets from Hornady could be just the ticket. I think many would tell you for fairly quick success with cast the RCBS 30-150 would be a pretty good place to start.
    Good Luck,
    Rick