Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Henry Big Boy Steel

Banned

Henry Big Boy Steel

Hello friends. I am looking for your reviews and impressions on the Henry Big Boy Steel rifle.

I want one in .357 mag and I am leaning towards the shorter carbine version with the 16.5" barrel and large loop.

How are they with cast boolits? Accuracy?

Thanks in advance,

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

On the plus side you can mount scopes on them like Marlins, on the minus side they are heavy. The steel Henry is over a pound heavier than the Rossi 92 clones. Henry has an excellent reputation for customer service. Braztec (Rossi) not so much. I've owned Winchester,Browning,Henry pistol caliber levers and had the use of a Marlin for about a year. I still have the Rossi's. Look them all over and pick what you like. Good luck
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned
    Fecmeh,

Thanks for the reply. How did your Henry do with cast bullets?

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

How did your Henry do with cast bullets?
    I tried a number of different loads in it and it was acceptably accurate. If you want to go with the Henry I'm sure with some trial and error you will find a good load or loads that you're happy with.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned
    Thank you.

Steve

I have a Henry Big Boy in .357. When I began shooting cast in it, most anything would group reasonably well at 50 yds. However, shooting at an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet of paper at 100 yds would not contain 10 shots with anything I tried. Some would contain less than 50 %. This is with a 9x scope. To make a long story short, I discovered that everywhere a dovetail had been cut, a restriction existed. I proceeded to hand lap the barrel, about an 8 hour process, and it will now hold an honest 4" at 100 yds with Hornady FTXP 158 grain J-words. Cast still eludes me. Take it for what you think it's worth.

Boolit Master
    I have a BBS in 45LC, scoped with a 3x9 Bushnell. Shooting lead with it, mostly Lee 452-200 RF, as cast. Good enough to kill a woodchuck at 65 yds, on three separate occasions. I have not noticed any leading.

Banned
    bump...

Boolit Buddy
    If you get one go ahead and budget for a set of skinner sights. I had a real tuff time picking up the buckhorn rear sight on mine, and couldn't bring myself to putting a scope on mine. I know not the type of response that you were looking for, but seeing the sights is real important to accuracy with cast or jacketed loads.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by emorris View Post
    If you get one go ahead and budget for a set of skinner sights. I had a real tuff time picking up the buckhorn rear sight on mine, and couldn't bring myself to putting a scope on mine. I know not the type of response that you were looking for, but seeing the sights is real important to accuracy with cast or jacketed loads.

I agree about the Skinner sights. I put one on my Marlin 1894C. It really helped.

I am getting a Henry because I have a weakness for 357 lever guns. It should be here next week. I will do a write up after I have a chance to shoot it with my loads.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master
    I just got a BB carbine in 357. I found th gun really likes 125 grain bullets. I have not tried boolits yet but that is coming very soon. Easy to shoot no recoil. Did I say it's fun to shoot? IT IS FUN TO SHOOT !

I have a 20" BB 357. It groups well under 2" at 100 yds with cast using 38 spl.
    I designed my #36-150DG for it. Double crimp groove for same COAL with 38 or 357 cases.
    I haven't tried any 357s in it yet.
    Or any jacketed bullets.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    I have a 20" BB 357. It groups well under 2" at 100 yds with cast using 38 spl.
    I designed my #36-150DG for it. Double crimp groove for same COAL with 38 or 357 cases.
    I haven't tried any 357s in it yet.
    Or any jacketed bullets.

What diameter are you guys sizing your cast bullets to?

Steve

The front band of my bullet extends .095" forward of a 357 mag case mouth and as it's chambered it presses firmly into the leade when sized to .359" diameter. The throat is tight enough that if the bullet were sized at .360", it wouldn't chamber.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAM View Post
    The front band of my bullet extends .095" forward of a 357 mag case mouth and as it's chambered it presses firmly into the leade when sized to .359" diameter. The throat is tight enough that if the bullet were sized at .360", it wouldn't chamber.
    Thank you.

Steve

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Henry is hands down the best production levergun maker today. Great company to deal with!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Better than Winchester and Browning levers which emanate from Miroku? I understand Henry is very good at fixing problems which occur, but really, shouldn't "the best" not be having these problems with new guns? I don't hear of problems with either of the brands Miroku produces.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I like the Miroku guns too and own a Browning BLR, but I don't really consider them to be competitive with Henry. They cost way more and Winchester/Browning considers them to be "limited production". You aren't likely to find them on the rack of a typical gun shop. I have never seen a new one that was less than a grand. If cost or availability is no object, Doug Turnbull can sure hook you up!

The Henry's competitors include Rossi, Remlin, used Marlins, and the lower priced Italian guns. Against these, Henry excels.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    Better than Winchester and Browning levers which emanate from Miroku? I understand Henry is very good at fixing problems which occur, but really, shouldn't "the best" not be having these problems with new guns? I don't hear of problems with either of the brands Miroku produces.

I don't hear of these problems with Miroku guns either but they cost twice as much and are in limted supply.

Henry is churning out thousands of excellent rifles at the $400-$600 price point. Yes, some problems slip through, but they are remedied quickly and professionally.

I have personal customer service horror stories from Rossi, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, RCBS and others.

There are a handful of companies with names that are synonymous with great customer service. Names like Dillon and now Henry. I think the folks that run Henry are genuinely committed to turning out a quality product. But they also realize that in the modern era of internet forums one or two bad customer service experiences are all over the world instantly.

I think that, if Henry plays it's cards right, Marlin lever actions will eventually go the way of Savage lever actions.

And now Henry is setting their sights on the open single shot rifle and shotgun market vacated by H&R. When they conquer that I bet money that they will introduce a line of wood stocked bolt action rifles then maybe a 22 LR revolver like the old H&R 922's. Then maybe a solid pump shotgun.

I for one will support them all the way. I am waiting patiently for a single shot 45-70.

Steve in N CA
    Last edited by sghart3578; 10-26-2016 at 07:48 AM.

I can't comment on the Big Boy's. I do have a 17 HMR and bought my wife a youth 22. Couldn't sight either one in with the factory sights. I replaced the factory sights with Skinners sights (had to have a taller front sight too). They both shoot good now. If you get a Henry just plan on putting another $150 in it for sights or a scope.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast