RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: New Henry Single Shots

Boolit Master
    I still think there is a void in the $400 price point, and the Henry might fill that void.
    At the low end was the H&R, then the next step is the T/C Contender at ~$650, then the Ruger#1 at ~$1200.
    I see a price point void between the H&R and the Contender.

Boolit Grand Master

I just don't see there being a void, other than a low priced, quality single shot. There are dirt cheap single shots, but they are Chinese or Turkish made, and very low quality. The void is where H&R was. USA made quality with a fantastic design at a reasonable price. The barrel program was great too. $450 is not a reasonable price for a single shot, and honestly, the Henry looks to be an inferior design to me. Plus it has very limited calibers, no shotguns, and no barrel fitting. The super nice wood and bluing is unwelcome if anything. In my eyes, these are in a place that is competing directly with the T/C Encore, and the Encore is better in every way other than some fancy wood. You can still buy used H&R guns reasonably priced, I just bought another a couple weeks ago.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    $450 is not a reasonable price for a single shot, and honestly, the Henry looks to be an inferior design to me.
    The MRSP for the all steel model is $427. This means that the street price should be somewhere around $360.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess good for them for not compromising the Henry look, but still, $360 dollars. They could use a cheaper metal finish, cheaper wood, and get them around $250, then you've got a seller. I guess I shouldn't say anything without having handled one, much less shot one, but just by pictures, the T/C encore is a better gun. I don't mean to rip on Henry, I love their lever guns, it's just that I think these single shots will be a flop. I like Thompson Center, but their Encore isn't perfect. Unfortunately Henry didn't do anything here to take advantage. Time will tell, and maybe I'll be an owner of one myself in a few years.

Boolit Master
    How do you figure the Henry is directly competing with Thompson/Center on price?
    The T/C rifle is double the price of the Henry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I guess good for them for not compromising the Henry look, but still, $360 dollars. They could use a cheaper metal finish, cheaper wood, and get them around $250, then you've got a seller. I guess I shouldn't say anything without having handled one, much less shot one, but just by pictures, the T/C encore is a better gun. I don't mean to rip on Henry, I love their lever guns, it's just that I think these single shots will be a flop. I like Thompson Center, but their Encore isn't perfect. Unfortunately Henry didn't do anything here to take advantage. Time will tell, and maybe I'll be an owner of one myself in a few years.
    $360 is a great deal. T/C Encore and Contenders are significantly more money (almost 2x) and extra barrels for those things are $250-$300+. It looks like used Handi Rifles are going for over $300 on Gunbroker.

Boolit Grand Master

Anyone looking for a simple, cheap gun is not going to pay $360 for a single shot when you can get a bolt action for under $300, plain and simple. What that leaves is the guy looking for a switch barrel gun. Henry doesn't have that, T/C has that market enveloped. Maybe in the future, but they just don't seem to have the capacity for multiple calibers yet, or anytime soon. Henry builds nice guns, but the calibers they come in are "cookie cutter" to say the least. They do have .41 mag and the .327 I've been drooling over, but not much else. I still think they made a big mistake by staying with .308 for their long ranger model. They should have gone .30-06 at least. But I digress, $360 seems about right for the fit and finish, but it's just not needed. That's just me, take it with a grain of salt. Get the gun to $250, with aftermarket barrels, and I'll be all over it.

Boolit Master
    I beg to differ.
    If the price was EXACTLY the same for the Henry single shot, and the aforementioned bolt gun, I am the type of guy to buy the Henry.
    I don't care much for the plastic stocks, plastic 'bottom metal', cheap everything about the cheap new modern bolt guns. they just look krappy.
    The Henry isn't 'beautiful' by any means, but it is not krappy looking.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    I beg to differ.
    If the price was EXACTLY the same for the Henry single shot, and the aforementioned bolt gun, I am the type of guy to buy the Henry.
    I don't care much for the plastic stocks, plastic 'bottom metal', cheap everything about the cheap new modern bolt guns. they just look krappy.
    The Henry isn't 'beautiful' by any means, but it is not krappy looking.
    I agree with this, plus what about affordable bolt actions in 44mag and 45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

I hope you guys are right, and maybe it will sell better than I think. It's still not my cup of tea, but for now I have access to H&R single shots. They can be had for less than sellers seem to think they are worth. Just this year I got a 12 gauge NEF for $150 from a gun shop, and my dad got an H&R for $80. The rifles are a little harder to barter, but they can be had. I just about bought a handi in .243 for $175, but the guy turned out to be really weird about private sales. I offered cash, but he insisted we go to an FFL to transfer the gun. Barrels pop up from time to time for reasonable prices, and fitting them is easier than people make it seem. You got me on the bolt actions if you want rimed cartridges. I just meant the guy who just wants to shoot, or hunt for cheap. You can buy a Savage Axis or Ruger american for $300 brand new, sometimes less. They are great guns, nothing fancy, but shoot great. That's my feelings anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    I was thinking about a .44 but i already have two. was planning on getting one in 45-70 but ran across a handi rifle at a good price while i was waiting. I could use a good long range rifle but would prefer 30-06 instead of .308 since i have enough ammo stashed back to last my lifetime from a model 70 i used to have, still have a need for at least one more .357 if I don't find something else to fill the bill before they decide to introduce one. Still wanting one, but am waiting on the right calibers. Tempting to get one in .44 mag just because but you have to draw the line somewhere

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112