Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Henry Single Shots

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone seen one yet? I finally gave up and bought a Marlin 1895.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by hp246 View Post
    The website still shows a ship date of mid-September. That has come and gone.

Boolit Master
    Ruger does this all the time when they can develope the demand prior to release it makes for heavy first run sales. I already have an Encore so I will eventually just buy a 44 Barrel for that rifle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by hp246 View Post
    Maybe they are waiting for a certain number of buyers first? Just guessing. Being interested in a shotgun, I shot T/C encores, but don't like them. They are a rifle/handgun in my opinion. They fit just isn't there for a naturally pointing shotgun. I loved H&R, and still think they are the best single shot guns ever made. It looks like this Henry could be great as well. The price is higher, but I can get over that. The thing that bugs me is the lever to open the gun. I much prefer the button H&R used, so much so I wont buy this Henry. Does anyone else feel the same?

I,think these things are like unicorns and Bigfoot. Everyone knows what they are, but no one has seen one.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

I just keep trying to restrain myself and not comment, but can't just sit here anymore.
    I'm amazed there's this much hoopla and interest in these Henry single shots when there's plenty of good single shot rifles around for the same money that I think are as good or better looking.
    For $900 I'd expect a company to at least give me a polished blued finish! Their commercial makes it sound like the matte finish is something special, when in reality it's a cheaper method to finish a gun, and takes less labor than a high polished blued finish.
    The design is certainly an old one, and one I've often seen on lower end single shots. And typically Henry decided to put stubby, lightweight barrels on these guns, rather than something more like most better quality single shots came with.
    I'd rather buy a used older single shot for the $900, than spend that much on this single shot from Henry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I just keep trying to restrain myself and not comment, but can't just sit here anymore.
    I'm amazed there's this much hoopla and interest in these Henry single shots when there's plenty of good single shot rifles around for the same money that I think are as good or better looking.
    For $900 I'd expect a company to at least give me a polished blued finish! Their commercial makes it sound like the matte finish is something special, when in reality it's a cheaper method to finish a gun, and takes less labor than a high polished blued finish.
    The design is certainly an old one, and one I've often seen on lower end single shots. And typically Henry decided to put stubby, lightweight barrels on these guns, rather than something more like most better quality single shots came with.
    I'd rather buy a used older single shot for the $900, than spend that much on this single shot from Henry.
    The new Henry Single Shot rifles have an MSRP of $427.00 NOT $900. Street price should be well under $400. I can guarantee that Henry's offerings will be much nicer than the Handi rifles.

Boolit Grand Master

Cabela's has them listed at $370. What makes you think they will be nicer than the handi rifles? For rifles, I think the T/C encore is the clear way to go. USA made, well established model, with a robust barrel market. What I want is a shotgun. The T/C encore isn't a bird gun. There are not a lot of options though unless you are willing to buy a China or Turkey made gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Cabela's has them listed at $370. What makes you think they will be nicer than the handi rifles? For rifles, I think the T/C encore is the clear way to go. USA made, well established model, with a robust barrel market. What I want is a shotgun. The T/C encore isn't a bird gun. There are not a lot of options though unless you are willing to buy a China or Turkey made gun.
    Handi rifles are ugly (with plastic trigger guards). Henry builds nice looking rifles. I have seen pictures and videos of the new Single Shot Rifle and they look nice.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    .... If a company would make a rolling block that allowed for quickly replaceable barrels, that would be nice to see.
    indeed. i'd even forgo the "quickly replaceable barrels" part. just gimme it in .45-70, .40-65 and .38-55 and be done with it. right now, the only rollers worth buying are from pedersoli, copied from the old remington design. these are Excellent rollers, are well built, with the correct match grade moderate to heavy barrels.

the tippmann rollers come in .45-70, .44mag and .357mag and are NOT viable at all with their stubby lightweight barrels, and will run $1000. a much, much better pedersoli in .40-65 is $1200. aside from tippmann, there are no american roller manufacturers. what a shame, really. a good rolling block action, based on the rem #1, along with a good DST and proper barrel can make for a most worthy gun that can do it all - indeed.

the henry break open action single shots, for $400 street price, are good for what they are, and that ain't about iron tang sight rifle shooting at silhouettes or targets. they'll be fine for what they are all about - the hunt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    This exactly!

I would bite on a single shot in .45 colt.
    I would bite on one in 32 special.

I am interested in their .44 mag but I already have an H&R handi rifle in .444 Marlin that does everything any .44mag ever did plus more.

.25-20 would also likely get me to bite.

There is a growing groundswell of interest in pistol caliber carbines.
    Lower noise, lower recoil, accurate enough to hit a golfball at 50 yards 9 out of 10 try's.
    Easily scoped, or iron sights, or red dot, or whatever.

Combine that with Henry reputation and quality and a 300$ price point. And you have a winner.

Ruger, Remington, are you paying attention?
    Ditto on 45C single shot. With proper twist to acomadate heavy boolits at Ruger Only levels.

Boolit Buddy
    Seen a few listed on GB a week or two back in .223 @ $329 they promptly disappeared haven't seen any since?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Item/708261152

And yes they DO look better than a handi. I like a lever over a button, matte finish is nicer for hunting, you're getting walnut wood, the checkering looks decent.

It's easy to see who the practical thinking hunters are and who are paper punchers reading though these comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    The new Henry Single Shot rifles have an MSRP of $427.00 NOT $900. Street price should be well under $400. I can guarantee that Henry's offerings will be much nicer than the Handi rifles.
    My mistake on the base price. It seems I was looking at a deluxe model at their site with high end wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot Bill View Post

It's easy to see who the practical thinking hunters are and who are paper punchers reading though these comments.
    That's pretty funny! I guess the guns built over the last 150 years with nice bluing and wood were just silly, and impractical. All those guns should never have been built that well because the finish would have just rubbed right off the first time they went tromping through the woods! Amazing so many 100 yr. old guns are even around today with decent finish, as they should have all worn off a century ago!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    That's pretty funny! I guess the guns built over the last 150 years with nice bluing and wood were just silly, and impractical. All those guns should never have been built that well because the finish would have just rubbed right off the first time they went tromping through the woods! Amazing so many 100 yr. old guns are even around today with decent finish, as they should have all worn off a century ago!
    I never said anything about the durability of the finish or even directed that comment towards finish at all and I actually complimented Henry's use of nice walnut wood on their single shots......... But since you brought it up a matte low glare finish is more practical for a hunting rifle because they retain oils better and don't shine like a mirror when the sun hits them. Will a blued mirror work as a hunting rifle? Of course it will, but it does not mean it's the best or most practical choice.

You complain of the lack of a polished finish on the high end model yet they say it does come highly polished. Your $900 gripe is still unfounded since even the deluxe model only has a MSRP of $549

I don't care if you like the Henry or not, it's your prerogative but trying to justify your hatred for a rifle with false information is just silly.
    A rifle I might add which for the most part is not even on the market yet apart from a few scattered sightings.

My previous comment about hunting practicality was more accurately aimed at your "stubby, lightweight" barrel comment. Most hunters appreciate these "stubby, lightweight" barrels. 22-23" has pretty much been the standard on break action rifles and is more than adequate for a hunting rifle. I can think of no occasion where I was in the woods and wished I had a longer or heavier barrel. No one wants to lug around an 9-12 lb single shot rifle all day. They thinned the barrels down because much like most other manufacturers it appears all the calibers/gauges were made on the same size frame, which needs to be large enough for a 12 ga shotgun. If they didn't thin them down the weight would be outrageous with rifles barrels of small bore diameters. Of course none of this matters if you are only carrying it 20 yards to a bench so you can plop it down on some sandbags.

I have nothing against paper punchers I just find it humorous to hear people or read posts where they are all up in arms over a firearm because it isn't specifically suited to their task. Most manufacturers are looking at the bigger picture, the majority of folks will be hunting or plinking, they want short and handy, readily available popular and proven calibers that they can buy ammo for at whatever big box store is closest to them. The manufacturer needs to sell thousands, not hundreds so they go where the greatest demand is.

I'd be willing to bet if they made say two models a 22" lightweight barrel 44 mag much like their website currently shows and if they made a 32" heavy barrel 38-55, 45-60 or any other now defunct obscure cartridge. They'd sell the 44 mags 50 to 1.

Well, that got long winded fast.
    Last edited by Buckshot Bill; 10-23-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Never had any trouble taking numerous deer and elk with highly blued guns. Never had any issue with keeping them oiled, or looking good either.

Waiting on the .41.

(slobber slobber)

Boolit Grand Master

I'm a single shot fanatic, but I'm just not sold, the price is too high. No doubt the quality is there for the price, but for a couple hundred extra you can get their lever action. I've been drooling over the steel carbine in .327 Federal since it was announced. I've just about saved up enough.

Boolit Master
    I really want to try one of these out in .45-70, and if I like them, I can see me getting one in .243 as a first deer rifle for my son when he gets older. He already has a thing for single shots.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    I really want to try one of these out in .45-70, and if I like them, I can see me getting one in .243 as a first deer rifle for my son when he gets older. He already has a thing for single shots.
    There is one for sale on gunbroker, but the seller is really proud of it at $500
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/714494425

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast