WidenersReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: New Henry Single Shots

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ohiomadman View Post
    There is one for sale on gunbroker, but the seller is really proud of it at $500
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/714494425
    I seriously doubt he has it in his hands. No other place is offering them for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I seriously doubt he has it in his hands. No other place is offering them for sale.
    How could he list it as "low number" if he didn't have it to see the serial number?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    How could he list it as "low number" if he didn't have it to see the serial number?
    I would imagine once he gets one it will have a low serial number. The first shipment will all have low numbers.

No one has any of these for sale yet, nor are there any hands-on reviews anywhere to be found. If this guy had one, he'd be the only one to do so.

Boolit Grand Master

No pic of the actual rifle so I don't think he has it.

Boolit Master
    I wonder whom Henry management imagines is interested in a $350 to $400 single shot rifle chambered in 308, 223, or 44 Mag for that matter, when MOA bolt action rifles are available at the same price or less for the first two and the R92 for the latter. It just doesn't seem to me that they thought through the market for these rifles. 45-70? Sure. 30-30, 45 LC even. But I can't see Tommy Tactikewl going for a single shot rifle. And how they intend to make a penny without offering it in 6.5 Creedomore beggars belief. As we all know, it is the ONLY cartridge that can possibly be accurate at more than 100yards...

I predict a short lifespan. It's too bad.

I personally don't think all gun buyers are looking strictly at prices. If that was true, then companies like Shiloh, DZ Arms, etc. wouldn't have lengthy waiting periods for customers to get a rifle.
    Those buying a particular type of gun aren't all looking at what's cheapest. Some are simply looking for a particular style of gun, and if the cost is more than a bolt gun, they'll likely still buy the higher priced gun to get the style they want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    I wonder whom Henry management imagines is interested in a $350 to $400 single shot rifle chambered in 308, 223, or 44 Mag for that matter, when MOA bolt action rifles are available at the same price or less for the first two and the R92 for the latter. It just doesn't seem to me that they thought through the market for these rifles. 45-70? Sure. 30-30, 45 LC even. But I can't see Tommy Tactikewl going for a single shot rifle. And how they intend to make a penny without offering it in 6.5 Creedomore beggars belief. As we all know, it is the ONLY cartridge that can possibly be accurate at more than 100yards...

If the Henry has real high quality sights, and walnut stock, and a good trigger, then the $400 becomes a good deal.
    I just built a mauser, the iron sights alone were over $200 for front & rear. I got a new nice walnut stock $185 and a cheap plastic stock may be $100. Those 2 items alone make for a $175 premium cost for good equipment over cost of junk production parts.
    We wait and see the quality of the sights & trigger & stock to see where it REALLY falls into the price point.

Boolit Grand Master

Different strokes for different folks. I have a few of the cheap bolt actions. They don't compare to higher end rifles in parts used as well as fit a finish. They don't have nice wood. They're painted, not blued. Some of them even come w/ a low comb designed for iron sights but there are no sights installed and no provisions to install them.

They are accurate. Which makes them a cheap, affordable is a term many would prefer, tool that performs. Lots of people quality wood and bluing and are willing to pay for it. I personally have little interest in singles shots but many people like them.

Apples and oranges. A purpose built bolt action target rifle isn't usually a pretty gun, but they can be very accurate depending on components used. The right barrel, trigger, and action wont care too much about wood quality. It will of course need to be well fitted wood, and very high end target rifles wont even use wood, as it changes with humidity.
    Nice wood, and bluing wont make any gun more accurate, but this goes back to what a owner wants, and whether he's looking for a nice gun, or an extremely accurate gun. You can have both, but it's just a matter of how much a person wants to spend.
    I doubt anyone will be buying a Henry single shot rifle and expecting to go shoot with competitive match rifles. So even bringing that idea into the conversation is funny. Guys who want a Henry will either already be fans of Henry, or fans of the old H&R or other top break affordable single shots. Somebody who is into a high end gun like a Shiloh Sharps, CPA, or others like them wont be looking at a Henry as there next purchase. How many they sell is depending on how many people fit this category?

Boolit Master
    I think there is a void between the old H&R, and Ruger #1. that is a $1k price gap between them.
    what else would fill that price point in between the two?

Boolit Master

For those of us who can't afford a Ruger#1 or a reproduction Sharps rifle in .45-70, Henry's single shot in .45-70 is looking really good.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Boolit Bub
    I think there might be some out there now. Found a couple in .243 and one in .410.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/716552742

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/716276247

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
    For those of us who can't afford a Ruger#1 or a reproduction Sharps rifle in .45-70, Henry's single shot in .45-70 is looking really good.
    And, as I explicitly stated 45-70 is a sensible chambering for this rifle. 308, 223 are not. 243 may be, as a light handy rifle in a low recoil flat shooting single shot may be a good youngster's first deer rifle. But at $450, the price they are now on at GB, I don't see it - T/C Compass, Savage Axis, Rugger American - all available for less.

The market for what appears to be a pretty good looking blue and wood rifle is not in high volume rimless cartridge offerings, in my opinion. Time will tell.

If they were offering Pistol calibers at 3-350$ price range I suspect many would buy. Heck I would buy a couple.

I just spent 400$ for an H&R barrel in .45colt. And it was worth that to me because

A I wanted one.
    B They don't make them anymore.
    C They never did make that many of them. They are on the rare side.

I have not shot it yet, but I have it matched up to a receiver, a 2x Red Dot sight mounted on it, and 200 rounds loaded for it. So it is ready for the range.

9mm, .38 special/.357, .40SW/10mm, .45acp, .45colt all have their followings. People would love to have a nice looking decent rifle they can afford that will shoot reasonably well.

Say 10 rounds all fall in a 2" circle at 100 yards with a good shooter.

Those would sell. Same for old standards like .30-30 and .45-70. Heck I'd buy a .32-40 or .38-55 if they offered it. More toys, more calibers to cast with. More loads to work up. Some of us really enjoy the journey.

.223, .308, 6.5 creedmore, .270, .30-06 I have low to zero interest in.
    They don't float my boat. Everyone has those. Good rifles, but I am not interested in high power 300 yard shots. Been there done that.

Boolit Master
    And, as I explicitly stated 45-70 is a sensible chambering for this rifle. 308, 223 are not. 243 may be, as a light handy rifle in a low recoil flat shooting single shot may be a good youngster's first deer rifle. But at $450, the price they are now on at GB, I don't see it - T/C Compass, Savage Axis, Rugger American - all available for less.

The market for what appears to be a pretty good looking blue and wood rifle is not in high volume rimless cartridge offerings, in my opinion. Time will tell.
    As far a youth first deer rifle, I agree. Also I never have seen what I consider a very good combo, and it something like a 20 ga. / .30-30 combo of interchangeable barrels.
    You may see .410/.22, but you don't see anything like 20ga/30-30; or 12ga/.444
    I agree the rimmed cartridges are better suited for single shot. .30-30, (35Rem), 454Casull, .444 and so on.
    The high power rimless seem better suited for the Ruger#1.
    A dandy youth combo would be 20ga/ 7.62x39. What a dandy plinker.

Boolit Grand Master

New Henry Single Shots

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    As far a youth first deer rifle, I agree. Also I never have seen what I consider a very good combo, and it something like a 20 ga. / .30-30 combo of interchangeable barrels.
    Not interchangeable barrels. But you can try and find a Savage 24. They came in a bunch of combinations. 30-30/20ga was one. 357mag/20ga was another. They came in a bunch of combinations.
    Last edited by dragon813gt; 11-11-2017 at 02:36 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiomadman View Post
    I think there might be some out there now. Found a couple in .243 and one in .410.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/716552742

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/716276247
    Yup these sellers are both in Wisconsin, where the guns are made. Looks like these are the first to get circulated. $429 is too much for one. Maybe $350. I was hoping they would make a long barrel "Buffalo Classic" equivalent. Those would fly off the shelves. I would even buy one if it was under $400.

Boolit Master
    454 Casull is a great idea! And a 20ga/30-30 combo barrel is very handy. I have a 12" 30-30 insert for a 20ga sxs, but it has never really been more than a novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Seller does have it. I asked

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Yup these sellers are both in Wisconsin, where the guns are made. Looks like these are the first to get circulated. $429 is too much for one. Maybe $350. I was hoping they would make a long barrel "Buffalo Classic" equivalent. Those would fly off the shelves. I would even buy one if it was under $400.
    I'm always puzzled when these gun makers come out with a single shot rifle, and don't offer a 28"-30" heavy barrel? Seems like there's a lot of demand for calibers like .45-70, .38-55, and .32-40, in a longer, heavier barrel. Would make a decent entry level BPCR silhouette rifle, or even beginner long range rifle with some good sights.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast