WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Henry Single Shots

Banned

New Henry Single Shots

It looks like Henry is trying to fill the void left by the closure of H&R. In the video fast forward to the 20:30 mark. The owner starts discussing the shotguns and then the rifles. They will be available in January 2017. I am going to buy a 45-70.

Steve in N CA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InJK...outu.be&t=1242

Interesting for sure. Might be one way to get a good shooting .357 mag, .44mag or .45lc.

I suspect the prices will be higher than most will like.

But they sure are pretty.
    Be interesting to see what calibers they end up with.

Boolit Master

It would be excellent if...

Available in pistol calibers
    The trigger guard is not plastic
    Interchangeable barrels
    Not too expensive

Good news indeed! I just hope they aren't $600...
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    The rifle in the vidio sure looked good but if its gonna have that good of grade of wood its gonna cost sume money my guess is over $500 bucks

Boolit Bub
    I like that. Had an NEF shotgun that I liked but looked at some new H&Rs last year and was very disappointed. Ended up with a CVA instead.
    I really like this one, though. Nice looking wood.

Fine looking wood, metal looks like it is painted; gag.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

I had never heard of this rifle. A little research showed they are around $900. I found this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rs29ojjDcIU

Banned
    I hope they make a version of the H&R Buffalo Classic. And sell it for under $200. That is what I hope.

Boolit Master
    I'd be willing to pay more for a nicely finished single shot. The H&Rs are good guns but I just can't get over their cheapish fit and finish. Good blueing and nicer walnut would get me interested in this new rifle. Stay away from plastic anything as well.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Boolit Master

The H&R single shot rifles were affordable, accurate, and they had a reasonably priced barrel replacement program. If the Henry single shot is much more than that, they will be in the price range of the Thompson Contenders / Encores.

From an engineering perspective, I like the simplicity of the design of the rolling blocks. From what I've read, they also have the advantage on shooting from the bench since you can reload without taking the rifle off of the rest (unlike the break action rifles).

If a company would make a rolling block that allowed for quickly replaceable barrels, that would be nice to see.

You can bet they are gonna be higher than H&R was.
    Henry makes some of the best fit & finished rifles in the industry FOR THE MONEY

If the price is palatable, I can see picking up a .308 and sending it to JES to make it a .358 Win
    God knows they won't build one themselves. Or maybe they will make a .357 mag and one could just ream the chamber.

My one hope and prayer is that they care enough to use a hardened steel barrel lug. H&R's weakest link is that. Heavy loads will peen the lug and loosen the rifle. It's what keeps me from loading my .358 Win Handi to it's full potential.
    Triggers can be touched up but that is one thing that can't feasibly be done.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I hope Henry doesn't try to make the new single shots as cheap rifles. The days when hunters selected a single shot because of price are long over, you can now buy a Savage Axis or Ruger American for the same price or less. Make them reasonably priced with good quality and interchangeable barrels and they will be a success.

That little single shot carbine in the video is just sexy! I'll take one in .357 and .32-20 please.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

I have been looking at Henry's site from time to time hoping to see the new rifles. There isn't anything yet. You'd think they'd get something on there to generate some interest. I am amazed when companies have websites but fail to keep them current.

Quote Originally Posted by historicfirearms View Post
    I'd be willing to pay more for a nicely finished single shot. The H&Rs are good guns but I just can't get over their cheapish fit and finish. Good blueing and nicer walnut would get me interested in this new rifle. Stay away from plastic anything as well.
    I agree. I'm willing to pay more for nice wood and blueing.

There is a void after the Handi Rifles. I picked up a 243 that I now enjoy but when they brought out the box as they had a floor model. The rifle in the box would not open correctly and the clerk tried oiling it then brought another one which works. The one I have now is accurate, trigger not too bad and a lot of fun. They used to have an ejector, but this one has an extractor. Rossi has single shots that are comparable to the NEF. CVA has nice ones in a better caliber selection. I suspect Henry will have a better one, but in what calibers? While I like the 243, it would be nice to have a 30-30 or some other caliber in a cast bullet plinker. Looked at the You Tube, it won't be cheap. It looks like a fancied up H&R.

DP

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    And that's just fine with me. The original H&R/NEF guns were humble but well made for their ridiculously low price point. My NEF .410 cost dad a whopping $69.95 brand new when he bought it for my 12th Christmas in 1990. It is not a bad looking little gun that has served me well since then and it will do the same for my kids when they are ready for it. The Remlin H&R's I looked at were ugly and crudely finished at inflated prices and I am not sorry to see them go.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I still have a H&R Huntsman in 58 cal that I bought for $65 in 1973 when I worked in Ford Rouge Steel.
    I want to get it out some day and send some those fat boys down range next summer. It has been a while.
    Too many toys, too little time!
    Leadmelter
    MI

Today I sent an email to Anthony Imperato thru the Henry Rifle website, expressing my interest in the new single shots. I stated that in addition to 223, 243,308, and 45-70, we cast bulletshooters would love to see 35 Rem and/or 358 win. Over the course of the day I received 2 replies, saying they would consider it. I hope others will express interest and just maybe they will offer a 35 call? Thanks, hc18flyer

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast