Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: #4 Remington

#4 Remington

I have a #4 rem single shot .32 rimfire ....what would be a good centerfire to change it to , that the little action will safely hold the pressure.....

Boolit Master

The 32 Rimfire case is the same diameter as the 32 Long Colt, a centerfire round somewhat smaller than the 32 S&W Long/32 Colt New Police. But the 32 LC case is now rare. If you modify the breechblock to CF, you may as well go ahead and rechamber to 32 S&W Long, so you can seat groove diameter boolits inside the case. You may then decide to stay with black powder loads for that small action.

I forgt to add it is a takedown model and the barrel is no good , very faint lands and grooves in spots.....Thanks for the info Nueces...

Vendor Sponsor

I would line it or rebarrel it to 22 rim fire in a heart beat.

Safe, cheap, fun.
    Chill Wills

I wouldn't convert it to any CF if the bore is gone. I'd simply make it a .22LR.

Boolit Master

There are two takedown models, the early one has a lever on the right and the later one is a screw on the left. Best to stay with a rim fire on this one. both the 17s and the 22 mag are loaded to the same pressure as the high velocity 22 LR so any would be an OK choice. The new Winchester 17 may be to much pressure. If it were mine I would go with the 22 LR and use standard velocity ammo, probably shoot better than the other choices. T.J.'s has a 22 liner that is 5/16" OD that will almost slide into a 32 cal barrel. You would not need to get a piloted drill bit for this one, just add an extension to a standard 5/16" drill bit and run it through, your only taking out the lands. The firing pin may need to be moved a bit and the extractor built up for the smaller rim.
    In the last couple weeks I picked up two #4s.

I simply converted my solid-frame #4 RB rifle's breechblock/firing pin from RF to CF, and shot currently available commercial (Winchester) .32 Short Colt ammo (Winchester makes 2 or 3 runs a year of the ammo) through it w/o issue - I wouldn't have done it if it was a takedown model, though.

Even though my rifle's bore looked like a sewer pipe, it shot the .32 Short Colt fairly well.