Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want to play the What'sit Game?

Another correct answer! Who says country boys ain't smart! One thing--the spindle in the center pulls out of the base and inverts presenting a primer knock out pin on the other end. After one pushes out the old primer then you invert it again as shown in the photo to seat the new primer. Although I can successfully do 12 Ga. shells on this apparatus, it is a 16 Ga. Not that I use it on a regular basis.....

So now I guess you're going to tell me about the bayonets? Aren't you about due to post a curiosity of your own? Hey--did you get one of those 18 shot 3-barrelled revolvers yet?

2)

3)

Yes it's a cane and so much more

4)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq-NZ9RNIu8

5)

6)

and I'll even give a hint

And a bonus just for fun
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Who says country boys ain't smart!

So now I guess you're going to tell me about the bayonets?
    Nope. I'm not an historian nor a musem curator.
    I understand the evolution of the knife about as well as anybody, so the existence of the 'bayonet' is not surprising. But I have no interest in knowing details about the many variations.

As for being able to discern how things work, that is just from having a modicum of mechanical aptitude ... a necessity for 'country boys'.
    Have you ever watched a hay baler work? It was a country boy who figured out how to make that whiz-bang do it's job.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Yup--well, I'm kind of a country boy myself. Grew up where the nearest neighbor was 4 miles in one direction, 1 mile in the other, nearest town of 250 pop. was 9 miles, 35 miles to the larger town where we shopped once a month. My dad had a cattle ranch, and I was intimately familiar with hay. And balers. Then I was forced to live in civilization until I retired the first time and moved to where there were supposedly 500 people in the entire area, and the "town" was 3 miles away and had one café, two mom & pop stores, a school and that was about it. 28 miles to a big town. So I've been there and done that. Now, after retiring yet again, I'm forced to live on the edge of the country, but hoping to regress. Yes, lots of geniuses came from humble origins, but I'm not one. I do enjoy history, but am not a curator--just acquired some peculiar items along life's journey. But pretty soon I'll run out of things to post, and if some others don't join in things will grind to a halt.

Boolit Master

You got me on the bayonets. I have a few of them, but don't really know a lot of the finer details about them. I'll try to post something else when I get time.

Another correct answer! Who says country boys ain't smart! One thing--the spindle in the center pulls out of the base and inverts presenting a primer knock out pin on the other end. After one pushes out the old primer then you invert it again as shown in the photo to seat the new primer. Although I can successfully do 12 Ga. shells on this apparatus, it is a 16 Ga. Not that I use it on a regular basis.....

So now I guess you're going to tell me about the bayonets? Aren't you about due to post a curiosity of your own? Hey--did you get one of those 18 shot 3-barrelled revolvers yet?
    I have never seen one before. The capping part was obvious, but I hadnt worked out the decapping part. I presume the knurled knob is what secures the reversible pin?
    Im guessing Spanish mauser bayonets, shot in the dark though.
    Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fred2892; 10-15-2016 at 07:32 PM.

Post #42
    I have seen harmonica and ducks foot pistols at the Royal Armouries Museum and various cane weaponry comes up regularly at the local auction. French 'Apache' knucleduster knife pistol combo. Brass and steel versions usually in 7mm pinfire. Pen gun in.22. I even have a tround lurking in a box somewhere but the last picture has me at a loss.

Last edited by fred2892; 10-15-2016 at 07:54 PM.

Very good on the Harmonica and Ducks foot pistols.

As an aside Jonathan Browning (JMB's father) was known for
    constructing and arming the mormon chruch members with Harmonica rifles and pistols, after attacked in Illinois by their neighbors before the long walk to Utah.

The cane may need to have a closer look because while it is
    a cane, and a sword it is also a single shot firearm.

#4 is knuckle duster is also a multi use weapon.

#5 is a single shot "pen" gun that because it has to be "bent" is
    not classified as a "NFA" item so requires no special registration or tax.

#6 The Dardick revolver was made a little too easy by showing the special Trounds that feed up to the magazine to the cylinder.

and the Bonus, pure Hollywood fantasy
    The Handgun Deckard used in the Movie Blade Runner a prop PKD Blaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITiJkdL5QEQ
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Apologies, I was editing my post to include the apache and pen pistols at the same time you posted the above.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    it'll be tough to stump this crowd...

...This member wanted it enough that he offered me a small 36cal muzzleloader pistol, double barrel revolver to swap for this item,
    Is this correct, a double barrel revolver? I've never seen one, and certainly that would be a good photo for you to post if you still have it. Or was it a revolver with two interchangeable barrels?

DG
    The double barrel is one piece of steel and it revolves (by hand) on the pistol frame

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Pretty neat, Jon. I like it. Any more info on it like caliber?

Looks like a rimfire cartridge? 32 RF by chance?
    je suis charlie

Quote Originally Posted by fred2892 View Post
    I have never seen one before. The capping part was obvious, but I hadnt worked out the decapping part. I presume the knurled knob is what secures the reversible pin?
    Im guessing Spanish mauser bayonets, shot in the dark though.
    Yes on the knurled knob. No on the Spanish origin of the bayonets. I'll let that ride another day before I answer the questions, because like Jon said, it should be hard to stump this group. The right guys just haven't viewed the thread yet.

Moderator Emeritus

Pretty neat, Jon. I like it. Any more info on it like caliber?
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Looks like a rimfire cartridge? 32 RF by chance?
    Gee you fellas must not be readin'
    I posted this twice in this thread
    I assume it takes a .350 patched RB, but I haven't pushed one in yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    it'll be tough to stump this crowd...

...This member wanted it enough that he offered me a small 36cal muzzleloader pistol, double barrel revolver to swap for this item,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Guilty, Jon, I plead guilty. You did say it was about a .350. But it sure looks like a cartridge pistol. How does it work? I assume it uses percussion caps? More photos would be nice, especially of the rear of the barrels and hammer area. It certainly is an unusual item.

I guess it's time to answer the bayonet questions from Post #39. I'm really surprised that it hasn't been done, because I personally know of at least two individuals on the forum that could do so. I guess the thread just hasn't caught their interest. O.K.--here goes....

Question #1: What kind of bayonets (nationality) are they? Most recently, Turkish, although their origins are of several different nationalities.

Question #2: Why are they different, one from another? In the 1930s the Turks decided to standardize their rifle and bayonets in as much as possible to one pattern. Over the 19th and 20th centuries they used many weapons, mostly of foreign manufacture, and often ordered bayonets with the rifles. The weapons and models used are almost too numerous to list here, but included vast numbers of 1893 Mausers in 7.65mm and 1898 Mausers in 8x57mm given as war aid by their German allies in WW I. They standardized on the 8mm cartridge and designed their own M1936 Mauser, very common in the U.S. today as huge numbers were imported as surplus around the year 2000. Interestingly, rather than using the 1898's bayonet lug attachment design they chose to use that of the 1893 Mauser. This may have been because they utilized that part from the 1893 on their 1936 model, I don't know for certain, but the parts are identical. So they took their vast accumulation of bayonets and adapted them to fit the 1893 type bayonet lug. About all that was involved in this was to remove the original cross piece and solder on a new one with the proper spacing, also taking into account the distance from the muzzle mounting to the bayonet lug. The blades were cut and ground to a uniform length and repointed as necessary. The first two specimens on the left in the first photo have steel handles and are "ersatz" bayonets originating in Germany in WW I and issued with both the Gew '88 and '98 rifles as a substitute standard. Many of the others are dissimilar one to another in close up detail, reflecting their different origins, but now all standardized to fit the one model rifle.

Question #3: First photo, left hand row top to bottom, third bayonet down, what can you tell me about it? It is the only one like it in the group.
    A close up is provided to help you identify it. What is it doing here--what is its likely origin to be in this group? The answer is that it is a WW I vintage British Lee Enfield bayonet. Although the markings aren't extremely clear in the photo one can see the Crown marking and the nomenclature between that and the guard which was struck out by the Turks. Since the Turks had few resounding victories against the British in WW I it was likely picked up following their withdrawal from Gallipoli and incorporated into Turkish service. An unprovable speculation, of course.
    This one is no longer in my possession as I originally posted this photo on another website forum two years ago and a collector in the UK expressed his desire to own it, so I sent it home. Hope he got it--never heard back, as I quit posting on that site.

Question #4: In the first photo, second column top to bottom, third down is another one-of-a-kind. It has an unusual locking mechanism. Can you identify what rifle it was originally intended for? (hard one!) A Peabody rifle, one of Turkey's early purchases before the Mauser series, and indication of just how thorough their standardization program was and how they made use of anything adaptable.

Now I know that you think I'm really an advanced bayonet collector, but that is not true. I did purchase a couple dozen of the Turk M-36 rifles when they came in as surplus and each came with a bayonet, and for the most part I still have them. Other than that, I have, like I suspect most military rifle collectors have, acquired one here and there to compliment a certain rifle, but haven't made it a goal to collect them. So, just another oddity presented for your entertainment.

Here's some more "stuff" to ponder and identify if you can, falling into the categories of Gunsmithing, Military Rifles, Reloading/Ammunition. I am going to admit that I do not know precisely what the top, oblong shaped item is. It does have some writing on it, but I'll withhold that for now. The two brass ammunition looking items in the center were posted and identified by three members about a year ago, and prior to that I did not know what they were. Research following their opinions proved them correct, so I will be able to tell you what they are. Otherwise, I suspect the remaining three items will be easy to identify.

Attachment 178933Attachment 178934
    Click to enlarge.

Boolit Master

Well, I definitely see a bayonet lug from a neutered SKS, but that's an easy one.

That's one down!

Boolit Grand Master

Having shot a LeMat I know why we lost! A really clumsy and un reliable gun.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast