Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want to play the What'sit Game?

Now comes one with three barrels no less! But only two rows of holes in the cylinder. Wonder how that worked? Must have died an early death due to impracticality. Would need a really fat holster. And then, along came Gaston Glock and compacted it all in a different design.

Boolit Master

You are good! A lot of these aren't really fair; they're pretty obscure and especially hard to ID from the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow! No wonder you know your stripper clips!

First photo, the mystery cartridge, since it came home from the war I'm thinking about one of the Mauser anti-tank rifles that date clear back to
    WW I. But I can't read the headstamp--so that's a guess. Sorry, no

The third photo, can't miss the Swiss M1911 stripper for 7.5mm Swiss Yup, over an 1890 Steyr-Mannlicher clip which preceded the 1895 version Yup. To the left of the Swiss clip might be two 7.63mm Broomhandle Mauser pistol clips Yup, but I'm uncertain, they might also be for a Steyr-Hahn. To the left of them, second from right, I'd say 98 Mauser strippers Sorry, no, and to the left of that, first in the top row, again Mauser but for a cartridge with a large rim--maybe a Siamese Mauser No. Below that, bottom row, the first ones again look a lot like Mauser clips No but exactly for what I do not know, and the last, lower right, I haven't a clue.

Photo no. 2, the loaded ammo, at the top a Hotchkiss strip, cartridges appear rimmed, so I'm guessing 8mm Lebel Yes. 5 rounds in a brass clip, probably 8x57mm Turk No, although I've seen much more of it with silver colored jackets--but some guilding metal. To its immediate left, the long straight stripper with .22 cal. bullets and steel cases, I'm thinking Russian 5.45x39mm? Yes! Below that, .303 British in the telltale stripper with the holes in it Of course. The black pistol-size cartridges with blue ring--I'm clueless. What are they retained in? it's a real military issue 36 round stripper clip, think Scandinavian, Below them an Gew '88 clip with cartridges yes,
    lying on top of what is probably 5.56mm ammo yes. A loaded 6.5mm Carcano clip yes lying on top of and next to loaded 7.62x54mm clips yup. Next to that is a 5 rd. brass stripper clip of 6.5mm ammo (?), but I'm not sure of what persuasion. Maybe Swede, but unlike any I've seen, so a wild guess would be WW II Japanese YES!. Below that an 1895 Steyr-Mannlicher clip that appears to be loaded with cast boolits yes. Three M1 Garand en-bloc clips, two loaded with ball ammo and one with AP of course. In the center of the three M1 clips is an SKS clip of 7.62x39mm yes. Beneath the middle M1 clip and just to its left are what I believe to be wooden bulleted training ammo, probably 8.x57mm, but I've never seen it before no, hint- it's USGI but not '06, and not wooden bullets. To the left of that, two .45 ACP half-moon clips with vintage ammo, and another stripper clip of 5.56mm yes and yes. Whew! Well, I know I got most of them, am unsure of a couple of them, am probably wrong on at least two, and about the black tipped pistol ammo--I just flat don't know. Oh, almost overlooked the most obvious, the linked .50 Cal. MG ammo. Can't remember what the silver tip means. Black is AP, Red is tracer, Silver is......? I'm sure someone else, maybe Outpost75 will score 100% on this one.

Down to the 3rd photo, magazines. Right off, top left, I think I'm looking at a Glock mag yes. For which model I couldn't say. The next one, to the right, I'm almost ready to cry "foul" on, because there are just so many double stack mags of that pattern that look almost identical. I'll just hazard a guess at a CZ-75, but it could be any of at least a dozen models. I honestly don't remember, the photo is a couple years old. It was either a CZ75 or a BHP as I recall, but yeah they do all look alike
    Looks like two 1911 mags, one a WW I vintage with a lanyard ring on the base no, one sitting on top of an AR-15/M16 mag yes. Below that appears to be an M1934 Beretta mag no. and a Browning Buckmark mag no. sitting on a submachine gun mag which is maybe for a Thompson no. Not really sure, as I once owned a Reising, and the mags were similar. Below that a Mini-14 mag yes. Two 15-rd. M1 Carbine mags, one with a dust cover, in pouch of course. Below that--you've got me again--a BAR mag.? YUP I'd never guess the little mag on top of it, might be .25 ACP for any of a hundred pistols yep, a very old one. Below that, bottom right, an HK G93 mag. with a 30 round M1 carbine mag yes and yes. The large one to the left of the M1 Carbine mag with the worn finish might be for an FN-FAL. almost but not quite The one on to of it with the groove and two holes looks a lot like an ARMSCORP .22 mag. (TP-22), but I'm probably wrong on that. close, kind of Below it is a 10 rd. AK mag. yup, to its left a Ruger 10/22 mag yes but possibly an aftermarket version by another maker than Ruger,l as is the banana clip above it nope, not 10/22 and lying beneath a 30 rd. AK mag yes. Now I'm getting really shaky, and I'm not sure what is beneath the AK mag., or what the pistol mag. lying on top of it is for. Saving the worst for the last, now having come full circle to the square rifle mag. beneath the 1911 mag. with the lanyard ring, you've got me. It can't be for a .303 Lee Enfield because the bottom doesn't angle up enough. Possibly for the Indian .303 version, but also looks a lot like the French M-56 type of mag., but they have a side catch. I'm going to guess Indian .308, but never have owned one and am probably wrong! fatelk--you need to have a yard sale!
    On the other hand, that very last mag. looks more like one of the FN-49 family. nailed it!

Well, I'm going to turn in for tonight and lick my wounds. This is starting off great, and I thank those who have participated. I'm already learning a lot, and can't wait until the answers are posted. I'll be back tomorrow with another photo, different category.

Not a bad idea, especially when so many items are shown. Perhaps numbers on the items would help also. Come on now, OS OK, don't leave me hanging out here. Take a guess at some of this stuff..........!
    This is fun, you had a real brainstorm with this! So far I'm mystified at all the things posted...look at those multi barreled revolvers...holy cow, I've been leading a sheltered life...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    OK I'll post one of my Italian shooting buddies with a favorite whatzizt?:

Attachment 178751
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

That is really in nice condition. I do know the answer, unless it's some very unusual variation, but I'll wait for someone else to answer up. Can't have all the fun myself! It's the one lying on the bench that I'm unsure about.

This falls in the category of: Reloading Tools

I know lots of old timers will immediately recognize this tool, so I'm aiming it at the younger guys who may never have seen one. Very honestly, I never saw one until about 5 years ago, and I'll be 74 next month. I started reloading in 1966 with a Lee Loader in .38 Special, then moved up to a bench mounted Lyman Spartan, then a pair of RCBS Rockchuckers, on to a Lee Turret, etc., so I was never exposed to anything that came before my entry into the hobby. Then I got interested in the Lyman 310 tools and dies and started doing searches on e-bay for Lyman Reloading, and this item came up. I knew I had to have it...... Following the purchase I had to find out what it was for. I have used it, and it works just fine. So the question to you younger guys is: What is it, and briefly, how does it operate? The underlying lesson here is that the old technologies made obsolete by design advances will still work as intended.

Attachment 178752Attachment 178753
    Click to enlarge.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    OK I'll post one of my Italian shooting buddies with a favorite whatzizt?:

Attachment 178751
    French Berthier Model 1916 Carbine.

In Remembrance
    Now comes one with three barrels no less! But only two rows of holes in the cylinder. Wonder how that worked? Must have died an early death due to impracticality.
    Look again.
    When two chambers in the outer ring line up with the two side-by-side barrels, there is a single chamber in the inner ring that is lined up with the under barrel.

Look at the cylinder and you will see the chambers are arranged in groups of threes ... all the way around.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Charlie, you old cowpuncher, somehow I just can't envision you riding the range in Montana with one of these three barreled shooters strapped on each hip! Joking aside, so what did/does this thing do? Fire the top two at the same time, then the bottom one, or all three at once (man--wouldn't that be an experience!) or is there some sort of selector mechanism. Anyway, you can have the one reserved for me. I'll just have to stick with one of these.
    Attachment 178757
    Click to enlarge.

That is really in nice condition. I do know the answer, unless it's some very unusual variation, but I'll wait for someone else to answer up. Can't have all the fun myself! It's the one lying on the bench that I'm unsure about.
    Hard to tell with the picture quality, but the one on the bench looks to be a swiss martini to me. Similar to the one below.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fred2892; 10-14-2016 at 04:26 PM.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    French Berthier Model 1916 Carbine.
    Give this man a cigar, preferably a Cuban Cohiba Churchill, now that they are legal again!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

The official answers to Post #1, stripper and en-bloc clips, left to right, top to bottom:

Italian Carcano for either the 6.5mm or 7.35mm. // 1895 Austrian Steyr-Mannlicher 8x56Rmm. // 1895 Dutch Mannlicher 6.5mm.* // German 1888 Commission Rifle (Gew 88) 8x57mm. // 1891 Mosin-Nagant and variations 7.62x54mm // U.S. .30 M1/M2 Carbine mag. loaders and stripper clips // U.S. .30 cal. (.30-06) for M1903 and M1917 rifles.** // German WW II strippers for 1898 Mauser and variants 8x57mm. // Turkish 8x57mm strippers.*** // SKS 10 rd. stripper for Russian, Chinese, and other variations. // French Berthier 8mm Lebel. // British .303 stripper clip.

* The Dutch 1895 and the Romanian 1893 Mannlicher rifles were extremely similar and although this clip is Dutch there is a possibility that they would interchange. (I don't know.)

** Whereas most Mauser stripper clips can be reused many times the U.S. version is quite different in construction. Not only is the internal flat spring made differently, but each end of the stripper has little metal tabs that fold over the end cartridge's rim to hold them in place in the clip. The clip can be inserted in the rifle with either side up, and the downward push of the cartridges into the rifle's magazine overcomes the little tab and it usually breaks off. If, when rarely it doesn't break off, when one attempts to reload the clip and to once again bend the tab back into place it usually breaks then. Without the tabs the cartridges are usually unsatisfactorily loose in the clip and they're not of much use after the initial loading.

*** The Turkish clips are thinner front to back than the German clips, but will work satisfactorily in most Mauser rifles.

Boolit Master

OK, IDs for my photos in post #13:
    The empty round next to the .50BMG is a 13.2mm Japanese Hotchkiss machine gun round. My grandfather brought it back from Japan after the war. I wish I had thought to ask him particulars of where he picked it up. It's almost identical to the 50BMG.

The stripper clips below it are, from top left: Japanese Arisaka (pair), VZ52 7.62x45 (pair), Broomhandle Mauser (pair), 7.5 Swiss.
    Bottom row: M14, 1890 Steyr-Mannlicher, and AK74 5.45mm. That last one is a really well designed clip. They hold 15 rounds each, and they're positively locked in until the clip is inserted into the guide, which then pushes the tab out to release the rounds.

Boolit Master

For the IDs of what's in the photos in post #17, just the ones that Der Gebirgsjager didn't get:
    The pistol round with black bullets with blue rings is Swedish training ammo, on a 36 round stripper, meant for the Swedish K SMG with a special tapered barrel made to shoot it. Never shoot it out of a regular barrel, unless you want dents in your rifling from the steel BB in the tip of the plastic bullet.

The 5-rnd clip just below the Hotchkiss strip is 7.7 Arisaka.

The silver rounds that look like they have wooden bullets, towards the bottom, are 30-03 Springfield blanks. The "bullets" are wax paper filled with powder, or so I was told.

The belt of .50s is USGI API from WWII.

The magazines in the last photo: The pistol mag with a lanyard ring on the top left is for a Yugoslavian M57 7.62x25.

The pistol magazine with the copper-wash ammo in it is for an East German Makarov. To the right of it is one for a Ruger MkII. The SMG mag they are sitting on is for a Sten.

The magazine that looks like an FAL mag is actually for an L1A1 (same gun, kind of). The .22lr mag on top of it is for an H&R Leatherneck. The plastic "banana clip" under the AK magazine is a Ram-Line for a Marlin Papoose, I think. The big mag underneath the AK mag is for a BREN, and the pistol mag on it is for a 1907 Savage.

I know, I have way too much junk. Some days I really feel like lightening the load and getting rid of 80% of my stuff. I've been worried lately about possible having to move again for work, and that's a massive headache when you have tons of junk.

Banned

Giorgio....

Gebirgsjager:
    give me a couple of day's for that PM.
    I'm just blowing through before bed time and have limited computer time for a bit.
    we are in the middle of our deer hunt, so nights are short and legs are whooped.

The reloading tool. Shotgun cartridge capper/decapper?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

This falls in the category of: Reloading Tools

Attachment 178752Attachment 178753
    Click to enlarge.
    Fred--you're correct! Can you give a brief description of how it operates?

Today's offering will probably have to go into the category of Military Rifles, as it's closely related, but I see no separate place for knives/bayonets.
    Obviously, these are bayonets:

Attachment 178820Attachment 178821
    Click to enlarge.

Upon close examination you will observe that they all bear similarities, but few are exactly the same.

Question #1 is: What kind of bayonets (nationality) are they?

Question #2 is: Why are they different, one from another?

Question #3 is: First photo, left hand row top to bottom, third bayonet down, what can you tell me about it? It is the only one like it in the group.
    A close up is provided to help you identify it. What is it doing here--what is it's likely origin to be in this group?
    Attachment 178822

Question #4 is: In the first photo, second column top to bottom, third down is another one-of-a-kind. It has an unusual locking mechanism. Can you identify what rifle it was originally intended for? (hard one!)

Attachment 178823Attachment 178825

Had to come back and add the information, just as a point of pride, that the lighting may make some of the blades appear rusty--but they're not!
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 10-15-2016 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Not rusty!

In Remembrance

Fred--you're correct! Can you give a brief description of how it operates?
    The answer appears quite simple.
    Position the triangular plate over the inverted shotgun shell with the 'hole' aligned and you will decap the shell.
    Swing the plate 330 degrees and raise the shell against the 'flat' to seat the new primer.
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 10-15-2016 at 12:42 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast