Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want to play the What'sit Game?

Want to play the What'sit Game?

Here comes a long, boring, wet winter. Maybe a snowy and cold one where you live. So I got to thinking, "How could I liven up the forum a bit?" The result was the What'sit game.

I'll bet that every one of us has at least several odd items that you know what it is, but I or someone else might not. Also, many of the somewhat unusual items we might have may well be recognized by one generation of shooters, but not another, so there is a great possibility for education by visiting and posting on this thread. It has the potential to be a 100 pager with enough interest and participation.

Some ground rules? You can post a picture of any item or items related to any of the forum's sub-forums. A non-inclusive list would be casting, ammunition and reloading, firearms and accessories, etc. Even cooking and trapping. But you should state at the top of your post the category into which it falls, such as "Reloading." Please, no ringers like pieces of milking machines, carburetor parts, etc.--keep it forum related. Once you tease and tantalize us with your item(s) wait a couple of days to give time for some guesses, then revisit the thread and give us the answers. Example: Post #12 was a combination tool for an M14 rifle. You can post as many items as you want in as many different photos as you want, singly or several in the same picture, related to each other or not, just keep them related to our hobbies as listed by the various forum titles.

O.K., then, I'll go first: Military Rifles:

Everyone will recognize the items in this picture as clips, stripper and en-bloc. What rifles were they designed to fit?

Attachment 178709
    click to enlarge

I'll be back with another photo tomorrow, and with the answers the day after. Your turn!

Okay, I'll do what I can recognize easy.

Bottom right, 303 Enfield.

Above it, French Brethier. No I can't spell anything French.

Left, M-16.

Left of that, looks like Springfield clips for 1903.

The two on the bottom right look to be for loading M-1/2 Carbine magazines.

I know the top row are enbloc clips for various Mannlicher type rifles, but I can't name any specific.

Boolit Master

Bottom right; Lee-Enfield clip.
    Bottom row, 2nd from right; SKS clip.
    Bottom left; M-16 magazine clip/guides (fits on back of magazine).
    Top row, second from left; 8mm Lebel?
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Master

Top row: Carcano, Steyr M95, ?, '88 Mauser
    middle: Mosin Nagant
    Bottom: M1 carbine, '03 Springfield, '98 Mauser?, Mauser (looks Turkish), SKS (of course), French Berthier, and British Enfield.

Boolit Master

What, no .45 auto clips?

fatelk--you're doing really, really well. Of course there is the one question mark, which someone else will probably answer, the '98 Mauser ?, which I will confirm is WW II '98 Mauser. You even called the Turk Mauser clips correctly. But we'll have to ding you on one thing, in addition to the question mark, which is that those things that go into the butt of a .45 auto are called "magazines." Man--if this thread takes off we're all going to learn so much! Now, there still is the matter of the question mark.......it's not as common.

Ithaca Gunner and Bloodman14, I know that you're feeling ripped off on the M16 strippers and guides, but actually they are for the M1/M2 Carbine and easy to mistake. To the best of my knowledge the M1 version didn't exist during WW II or the Korean War, and were probably developed after the M16 version. At any rate, I never ran across them before the early 1990s, and believe it was retro-engineering. Hard to tell from the photo, I know, because the M16 version would look very similar and it's difficult to judge size.
    Attachment 178728Attachment 178729
    Click to enlarge.

Boolit Master

those things that go into the butt of a .45 auto are called "magazines."
    I thought I might get "corrected" on that one. Yes, I do have some .45 acp clips. I can't find them right now, but they look like this:

I knew a guy years ago that kept some behind the counter at his gun shop, to confuse people when they came in looking for "a clip for my .45".

Well--you got me there! Why didn't I think of that! I do have several versions of the clips, half-moons, full-moons, those that clip in and those that clip out. Nice going, fatelk.

O.K.--we'll be needing some other participation. Start getting your peculiar and unusual stuff together, take some photos and post! I'm anticipating guessing and learning.

DG

Moderator Emeritus

it'll be tough to stump this crowd.

About 3 years ago, I bought a box of casting stuff at a gunshow, from a fellow that cast for 44-40 only.

Everything was easily identifiable, except a 8" solid steel rod that was hockey stick shaped.
    I posted a photo of it, and a fellow member seen it and identified it and I guess it was a bit scarce and the aftermarket version of this item was not as long, so this older version was more desirable. This member wanted it enough that he offered me a small 36cal muzzleloader pistol, double barrel revolver to swap for this item, which turned out to be a transmission shift lever for a VW bug.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

can I have the Lebel clip ??.

Yes, you may. PM your mailing address. It is a Berthier clip (8mm Lebel ammo), and I do have a Berthier rifle, but I have 4 more clips which should last me the rest of my life.

DG

[QUOTE=JonB_in_Glencoe;3809904]it'll be tough to stump this crowd.
    This member wanted it enough that he offered me a small 36cal muzzleloader pistol, double barrel revolver to swap for this item, QUOTE]

Is this correct, a double barrel revolver? I've never seen one, and certainly that would be a good photo for you to post if you still have it. Or was it a revolver with two interchangeable barrels?

DG

Boolit Master

Cool idea, by the way. I like it! Here are some photos.

The mystery round in the first two photos is next to a .50 BMG for comparison, but is not a .50 BMG. A hint is that my grandfather brought it home with him as a souvenir in 1945. The "headstamp" is also a bit of a giveaway too as to nationality.

The third photo is of a few more clips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullSizeRender(5).jpg   FullSizeRender(6).jpg   IMG_2529.JPG  

Before this gets too involved can I suggest that we put a ruler in each photo...or something that everyone would recognize for a size scale?
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Wow! No wonder you know your stripper clips!

First photo, the mystery cartridge, since it came home from the war I'm thinking about one of the Mauser anti-tank rifles that date clear back to
    WW I. But I can't read the headstamp--so that's a guess. The third photo, can't miss the Swiss M1911 stripper for 7.5mm Swiss, over an 1890 Steyr-Mannlicher clip which preceded the 1895 version. To the left of the Swiss clip might be two 7.63mm Broomhandle Mauser pistol clips, but I'm uncertain, they might also be for a Steyr-Hahn. To the left of them, second from right, I'd say 98 Mauser strippers, and to the left of that, first in the top row, again Mauser but for a cartridge with a large rim--maybe a Siamese Mauser. Below that, bottom row, the first ones again look a lot like Mauser clips but exactly for what I do not know, and the last, lower right, I haven't a clue.

Photo no. 2, the loaded ammo, at the top a Hotchkiss strip, cartridges appear rimmed, so I'm guessing 8mm Lebel. 5 rounds in a brass clip, probably 8x57mm Turk, although I've seen much more of it with silver colored jackets--but some guilding metal. To its immediate left, the long straight stripper with .22 cal. bullets and steel cases, I'm thinking Russian 5.45x39mm? Below that, .303 British in the telltale stripper with the holes in it. The black pistol-size cartridges with blue ring--I'm clueless. What are they retained in? Below them an Gew '88 clip with cartridges,
    lying on top of what is probably 5.56mm ammo. A loaded 6.5mm Carcano clip lying on top of and next to loaded 7.62x54mm clips. Next to that is a 5 rd. brass stripper clip of 6.5mm ammo (?), but I'm not sure of what persuasion. Maybe Swede, but unlike any I've seen, so a wild guess would be WW II Japanese. Below that an 1895 Steyr-Mannlicher clip that appears to be loaded with cast boolits. Three M1 Garand en-bloc clips, two loaded with ball ammo and one with AP. In the center of the three M1 clips is an SKS clip of 7.62x39mm. Beneath the middle M1 clip and just to its left are what I believe to be wooden bulleted training ammo, probably 8.x57mm, but I've never seen it before. To the left of that, two .45 ACP half-moon clips with vintage ammo, and another stripper clip of 5.56mm. Whew! Well, I know I got most of them, am unsure of a couple of them, am probably wrong on at least two, and about the black tipped pistol ammo--I just flat don't know. Oh, almost overlooked the most obvious, the linked .50 Cal. MG ammo. Can't remember what the silver tip means. Black is AP, Red is tracer, Silver is......? I'm sure someone else, maybe Outpost75 will score 100% on this one.

Down to the 3rd photo, magazines. Right off, top left, I think I'm looking at a Glock mag. For which model I couldn't say. The next one, to the right, I'm almost ready to cry "foul" on, because there are just so many double stack mags of that pattern that look almost identical. I'll just hazard a guess at a CZ-75, but it could be any of at least a dozen models. Looks like two 1911 mags, one a WW I vintage with a lanyard ring on the base, one sitting on top of an AR-15/M16 mag. Below that appears to be an M1934 Beretta mag. and a Browning Buckmark mag. sitting on a submachine gun mag which is maybe for a Thompson. Not really sure, as I once owned a Reising, and the mags were similar. Below that a Mini-14 mag. Two 15-rd. M1 Carbine mags, one with a dust cover, in pouch. Below that--you've got me again--a BAR mag.? I'd never guess the little mag on top of it, might be .25 ACP for any of a hundred pistols. Below that, bottom right, an HK G93 mag. with a 30 round M1 carbine mag. The large one to the left of the M1 Carbine mag with the worn finish might be for an FN-FAL. The one on to of it with the groove and two holes looks a lot like an ARMSCORP .22 mag. (TP-22), but I'm probably wrong on that. Below it is a 10 rd. AK mag., to its left a Ruger 10/22 mag but possibly an aftermarket version by another maker than Ruger,l as is the banana clip above it and lying beneath a 30 rd. AK mag. Now I'm getting really shaky, and I'm not sure what is beneath the AK mag., or what the pistol mag. lying on top of it is for. Saving the worst for the last, now having come full circle to the square rifle mag. beneath the 1911 mag. with the lanyard ring, you've got me. It can't be for a .303 Lee Enfield because the bottom doesn't angle up enough. Possibly for the Indian .303 version, but also looks a lot like the French M-56 type of mag., but they have a side catch. I'm going to guess Indian .308, but never have owned one and am probably wrong! fatelk--you need to have a yard sale!

On the other hand, that very last mag. looks more like one of the FN-49 family.

Boolit Master

Oops, sorry. I think I accidentally deleted the post with a couple photos. Here they are again, clips and magazines:

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Is this correct, a double barrel revolver? I've never seen one, and certainly that would be a good photo for you to post if you still have it. Or was it a revolver with two interchangeable barrels?
    Really , lots out there most famous right now is the LeMat style on Westworld HBO series

Original was 41 cal w/ 18 gauge center barrel Percussion used in the US civil war.

Henrion, Dassy & Heuschen double-barrel revolver was a type of revolver with two stacked barrels and two concentric sets of chambers,

Osgood Two-Barrel Revolver

Triple barrel spanish 6.35 ACP revovler
    http://www.horstheld.com/0-Spain.htm

Last edited by Artful; 10-14-2016 at 01:39 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Before this gets too involved can I suggest that we put a ruler in each photo...or something that everyone would recognize for a size scale?
    Not a bad idea, especially when so many items are shown. Perhaps numbers on the items would help also. Come on now, OS OK, don't leave me hanging out here. Take a guess at some of this stuff..........!

Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Really , lots out there most famous right now is the LeMat style on Westworld HBO series
    42 cal w/ 18 gauge center barrel Percussion used in the US civil war.

Henrion, Dassy & Heuschen double-barrel revolver was a type of revolver with two stacked barrels and two concentric sets of chambers,

Osgood Two-Barrel Revolver
    Well now I did know about the LeMat, and have seen the replicas, but would have some trouble fitting that into the definition of a two barreled revolver as the 2nd barrel is a shotgun barrel and a one shot proposition. I'd be more prone to define it as a revolver with a shotgun barrel.

I've never seen the Henrion, Dassy & Heuschen before--looks like a real handful. Bet it was heavy when loaded. Judging by the rings around the chamber mouths it looks like the thing was actually fired.

The third one, the Osgood, is interesting. Doesn't appear to be very large. Did it have two rows of cylinder chambers like the Henrion? Looks like a small caliber, maybe a .22?
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 10-14-2016 at 01:47 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast