RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bore sighter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by facetious View Post
    Kind of old school but if you have a cardboard box and a empty case with the primer removed you can get close.

First cut two noches in the box to fit the forend and the butt to use as a cradle or if you have a gun cleaning vice that will work also.
    And I thought I was probably the only guy remaining alive that knew about that! I built my own wooden "cleaning vise" for cleaning AND bore sighting long before Midway started selling their expensive version.

I have an empty case with the flash hole bored too large to hold a primer for a "rear sight" for each of my rifles when I bore sight a bolt rifle - and it's very easy to remove the bolt and look through my deer deadly Marlin 336/.35's bore too.

I still have the excellent old Bushnell pro optical bore sighter and a set of adjustable arbors that I've used for some 40 years but I still bore site through the bore to quickly get new scopes on paper for bolt rifles. AFTER the scope is zeroed I check the Bushnell's (coarse) grid to get the zero reference and later use the tool again to see if my zero has changed much. The sighter is good enough to check for minute-of-deer zero out to maybe 250 yards, which is way passed the longest deer shot I've ever had (a bit inside 100 yd.s). IF I ever find a zero change greater than maybe 2" at 100 I'll soon find a better scope!

I've zeroed a lot of deer rifles for others with only four shots by using my old cleaning clamp/cradle. First, I'll bore sight and then fire one shot to get somewhere on paper at 50 yd.s. Then I reset the rifle in the cradle to exactly duplicate where the hold was for the first shot and then, without moving the cradle, carefully adjust the scope to match the point of impact. Then I'll fire three more rounds at 100 to confirm that it's really on; I seldom have to make much change.

Don't think I'd ever use a chamber held lazer light device tho. A Mk. 1 Eyeball peeping down the bore probably works better as a bore sighter and it sure costs much less! (I'm really not cheep but I really am frugal! )

Boolit Master

My experience is they were not bright enough to use in rifles, in day light at 50 yards. Ymmv.

Bushnell boresighter with the arbors. Gets you on paper and saves a lot of ammo.

Boolit Master
    I volunteer at an indoor rifle range. The in-chamber boresighters the range bought were all but useless. They fit loosely in the chambers. Most of us safety officers use a lead sled, an orange pistol target at 25 yards, and look down the bore. Then the scope is adjusted to match. We have the luxury of three electronic target lanes, where nothing can be damaged and we verify the zero and do the final sighting in there. I have the in-muzzle Bushnell boresighter for home use. It works really well when changing scopes. My rifle is clamped in a cleaning cradle, then the Busnell laser is set as close as possible to the crosshairs. Swap the scopes, and adjust the new one to the laser. It saves a lot of ammo at the range.

Boolit Grand Master

several things help with using bore sighters like these. ALl are for consistency one index them into chamber the same every time so any internal variation is the same each time. Pay attention to where the first groups tend to hit each time its used or use in sighted in rifles to see where they show in relation to dot. If the group or sighted in cross hairs are 1" high and 3/4" invh right every time then when sighting in a new scope adjust the cross hairs to that instead of the actual dot. . Learning your unit is the big part

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12