RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bore sighter

Bore sighter

Does anyone here on the forum have and use one of these types of bore sighting aids ? Thinking about purchasing one to help in sighting in my rifle.
    Have seen them before , but just have never owned or used one before.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61lxLFOKrFL__SX425_.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	9.8 KB 
ID:	178700

Boolit Master
    I've used the 12ga version, to verify that the bores point to the same point at about sixty feet. They are fascinating and useful, even to check your sighting without firing a shot. The way luck operates, when you drop your guncase it is going to be on the way to the hunt of a lifetime, with people who would look askance at any sighting-in shooting.

The trouble is that cartridges, especially for old military rifles, are often a loose fit, so one of these devices may be too. I expect you could align it better with thin adhesive tape. The most accurate and versatile are probably those which have muzzle spigots to fit the calibers you use, like the old optical collimators used to have.

Avoid the cheap Chinese ones, they are ****.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple and they get you close, but they are NOT able to verify that you're ready to head into the woods. But they do keep you from wasting a lot of sighters when you're first trying to find the target. But the good ol' "look down the bore" method works just as well.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

I have the version that goes down the front of the barrel, it gets you close when installing a new scope.

Boolit Master
    I have the Wheeler green laser that sticks on the end of the barrel with a powerful magnet. It's not cheap at $116.00 from Amazon but it does a fine job.
    [

Boolit Master
    I ended up ordering a Laserlyte model that goes in terms muzzle end. The cartridge type just wasn't adjustable enough, whereas the kit covered everything from my .44s to .22lr with one unit.

Moderator Emeritus

I used that type opinion 12 ga to show my son that we needed to readjust his butt plate. He didn't believe me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I have the version that goes down the front of the barrel, it gets you close when installing a new scope.
    Same, it gets you on paper so you can make final adjustments. It's saved me a good bit of ammo over the years.

Boolit Master
    I have the cartridge version for my 30-30 and 32 WS Lever guns (same n efits both). It works well with the lever gun where you cannot easily remove the bolt and look down the barrel. It gets me on paper without much work. I haven't bought them for my other rifles because with them I can put the rifle in a clamp and look through the barrel, then adjust sight to match what I see.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Green laser bore sighter: .220 to .500 - Free shipping
    http://www.dx.com/p/green-laser-bore...0#.WABBG_S523M
    Regards
    John

In my opinion they are just gadgets. Too many people think a bore sighter will put your rifle dead on. I can get on paper at 100 yds by looking thru the barrel and moving the scope but I've been doing it for a long time. Best with all rifles is to sight in at 20 yds or so- then move to 100. The one shot sight in technique is your friend to save ammo. If an outfitter won't let you check your rifle after travel-get another outfitter. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Bub
    Best tool I ever bought for shooting support was my Bushnell 74-3333 boresighter/collimator. Has a 160x160 moa grid and 3 adjustable arbors. The grid enables scope testing and diagnosis of problems like inconsistent movement of turrets. The grid can also be used as a zero reference so you can swap scopes between rifles. A good reason to keep a notebook... A most valuable tool that, like my Brownells screwdriver set, I use all the time.

Yes I have several of them, they work just fine, only thing I don't like is they do not have on/off switch so batteries cannot be left in.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

With the barrel insert laser, carefully rotate it to see the circle inscribed on the target. Looking down the bore works if your eyes are good.
    Whatever!

I use them for getting close without wasting ammo and for mounting home made scope base on a project

Banned

I use a muzzle end Bushnell boresighter that works great, it gets me on paper and then I zero at 25 yards, verify at 50 and zero at 100. It usually takes only about 5 or 6 shots in all. I have a couple cartridge type for some pistols and they work great, and then I zero at 25 yards.
    They do the job they are designed for well.

Boolit Master

+1 on the Bushnell. I've had mine for over 40 years and it's saved me a lot of ammo. Also, using the Bushnell's grid, you can remove and reinstall a scope (or mounts) without a complete re-zero. Just count and record the number of horizontal and vertical squares from dead center of the grid, then, when reinstalling adjust the scope's cross-hairs to that point. Should put you within a couple inches of original zero at 100 yds.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Kind of old school but if you have a cardboard box and a empty case with the primer removed you can get close.

First cut two noches in the box to fit the forend and the butt to use as a cradle or if you have a gun cleaning vice that will work also. Take the bolt out and put the deprimed case in the chamber . Now put a aiming spot out 25 to 50 yards and look through the primer hole like a peep site and move the box or vice till the target spot is in the center , with out moving the box or vice look through the scope and then move the cross hairs to line up to the aiming spot. I don't remember where I saw this but it will get you close enough to get on the target. Make your first try at 25 yards to get it centered side to side and a inch high and then at longer range to finish sighting in.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

I've eyeballed a bore sight for the past 50 years.

It very much helps if the target is dead/bright white ILO the usual yellowish re-cycled paper - with a very dark bullseye.

(I use Coke/Pepsi 24-can carton paper separators, coloring in the bull with a black Sharpie)

I place/hold the rifle immobile on sandbags & remove the bolt for a peek.

For rifles with a receiver that's closed at the rear, I open the bolt & use a (small) dental mirror.

+1 for checking zero after arriving at the hunting destination.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast