Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman 45cal 535gr postell in lever actions?

Boolit Master

Lyman 45cal 535gr postell in lever actions?

Can the Lyman 45cal 535gr postell boolit be loaded short enough to cycle through a lever action rifle (Browning 1886)? I will only be loading black powder, so the lack of a crimp groove should not be an issue. Any safety concerns with the round nose profile and a tubular magazine?
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Grand Master

You can load a dummy round and see what it looks like. I would also make sure the smaller round nose and pointier bullet dosnt rest directly on the primer ahead of it in the tube. Even though its a black powder load and cant be compressed as easily it can still be pulled by recoil also. Just a couple things to consider

Banned

i would be concerned about the possibility of a postell's small round nose making too hard a contact with the primer of another round, whilst in the magazine tube.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    You should be safe regarding the magazine.
    The bullet is 1.4" long and since it can only hang .445" out the case it will rob you of most of the case capacity, you'll be left in the 40-42grain range. I would put out a WAG and say 700-800fps.

I have loaded and shot the NOE collar button and theres next to no nose on that little puppy!

I have a Pedersoli '86 that will load and cycle the Postell through the loading port, single rounds only!

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

I have a couple of Browning 86's and Postells loaded for my 1885's bpcr rifles will not load through the loading port.
    But will chamber just fine single loading with the bolt open.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Postell View Post
    I have a couple of Browning 86's and Postells loaded for my 1885's bpcr rifles will not load through the loading port.
    But will chamber just fine single loading with the bolt open.
    I believe part of the issue is the cartridge making the "bend" into the mag tube. The original 86s apparently had clearance cut into the sidewall of the receiver where the nose of the bullet rubs to allow clearance to load the longer cartridges. It also may be possible to clear some metal from the frame just ahead of the gate. Stripping the gun down and looking in the mag tube hole while trying to feed a cartridge in the loading gate will probably tell the tale.

Somebody earlier mentioned what looked like factory AOL specs. Look up the OAL length specs for 45-90 or 50-110 and that's what the action will feed from the magazine to the chamber. The 86 action will function with cartridges quite a lot longer than current factory spec 45-70, the only issue seems to be getting them in the gate. When converted to 50-110 that same clearance work needs to be done.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

The best way to predict the future is to create it.