RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Maybe a Dumb Question?

Boolit Buddy

Maybe a Dumb Question?

The question
    What is the difference between RCBS "handgun" lube and "rifle" lube?

The rest of the story, sorry it's so long
    I worked up a load for my a Marlin 41mag with Mihec's 410-200 mold. I bought it used and it was set up for HPs. The pins were buggered so I just went about casting the HPs.. The HPs were just under 200g with WD COWW over 21g H110. At that time I was pan lubing with Felix lube. Good stuff, I could keep them within about an inch and a half at 75yds with the open sights. They were used to ventilated several east Tx pigs but not all were bang flops. Several required following said pigs into thick undergrowth to finish the job. After looking into the general area of the neck/skull intersection, it was clear they weren't getting the job done. We need more penetration.
    Fast forward about three years. HP loads are all gone. Pins fixed and switched over for FPs. I had some range scrap with a small amount of coww and a fair amount of tin in the pot so I cast and WD'd about 100 FPs. After about a week, they are fairly hard according to my thumb nail. Not science, but I thought I'd send a few and see how they do. I have also recently acquired a new to me RCBS lubesizer that is less than half full of lube. I've made a hafassed guess it is RCBS lube, but not sure which one.
    What would you do?
    Lube the 41s with what's in there and take what you get?
    Boil it out and refill with the Felix lube, wasting whatever it is that's in there?
    Cast up more 357s and use it up?

In a effort to get on with the 41, I'd rather not cast and lube more 357s right now. I have plenty to last a while and the pigs are waiting. I hate to waste the lube but I'm not sure if it's going to do what I need it to do in the Marlin.

I'd boil it out and refill with the Felix lube. I'd boil it out and then let the pot sit until it was cooled. Then I'd take the hardened lube from off the top and save it for fluxing and reducing the melt in my lead pot.

Boolit Master
    "Lube the 41s with what's in there and take what you get?"

Why not? Lube a few, test for accuracy and know if you think it worth saving, or boil out and change lubes. Putting an awful lot of thought into trying to save $4.00 worth of unknown lube.

Banned

you could always hand lube with the felix lube and size them without any pressure.
    a little messy but you'd then only be changing one thing at a time.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in the lube with what's in there camp....it may be just the ticket, if not , then go to plan B .
    Gary

Boolit Buddy
    Yep, I probably put to much thought into it. Went ahead and lubed some of them with what is in there. I'll get them loaded and see what they do.

I envy you guys that can load a few rounds then step outside to see what happens. Hopefully I'll have time to get them loaded this evening and get to the range this weekend