MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody shooting the 327 Fed Mag?

Boolit Grand Master

Anybody shooting the 327 Fed Mag?

The title says it... I'm curious as to who is actively shooting the 327 Fed Mag. I'm interested in what guns and what loads are being used. Was it a "flash in the pan" or is it still growing in strength and popularity. Would anybody buy one if it were available, and if yes, what would be the ideal platform to carry it? Real experiences mean more than armchair observations and naysayers will be ignored!!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I have the single seven, 1.1k 327 brass, 1k 32 h&r brass and 2 molds 100 and 115 grain. To date I've only loaded about 500 rounds in the H&R brass. Shooting the high pressure rounds REQUIRES hearing protection which I may or may not have when carrying as a sidearm in the woods. I wear earpro here at the house all the time. I would like to see what the 327 will do though when loaded to its potential, though. Just haven't gotten there yet.

I don't have the .327 but do have and use several .32-20s, both rifle and revolver. The two cartridges are not that far apart in performance. To me, the ideal platform would be a modern S&W Mod 10 5 inch. Since such is not commonly found, I rely on a 1914 Colt Army Special for daily use. It handles high velocity loadings veery well and has done so for several thousand rounds. I also have an Uberti Cimarron revolver that is a bit better than the Colt but is a single action. I pair the revolvers with a Marlin '94 in .32-20. My load is a 105 grain bullet at 1400 from the revolvers and 1650 from the carbine. A .32 or .327 is a serious cartridge when loaded to those levels.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Have two..a Freedom Arms 97/6.5" and a newly acquired Ruger LCR..kind of at opposite ends of the spectrum...

Bought an Accurate Mold, 31-120S and have been shooting it with 8.5 grains of AA-7 for 1400 fps from the Freedom Arms. I have shot four cylinder full from the LCR but cases are firm ejecting so I am going to develop a lighter load for that one...

Would love to see Ruger come out with a GP100 like they had but with the .22 5.25" barrel with half underlug... And it would be nice to have S&W bring back their 631 3" with full underlug barrel and adjustable sights.

However if I get tired waiting for pigs to fly I may just buy a Ruger SP101...

Bob

Boolit Bub
    I have a.327 in a 4 inch gp 100. It 's fun to shoot and it hits what I point it at mostly. It shoots 100 and 115 gr cast boolits pretty well my favorite is the mp molds 140 gr . I think it should be more popular than it is. It will shoot factory 327 federal ,32 h&r mag ,32 s&w and s&w long and I have shot 32 auto . It should be more popular but it wont do anything that something else wont . I bought it to be a pack gun when I am hiking but I don't normally wear hearing protection in the woods and my biggest con with the .327 is it is loud sharp painful loud. And that is the main reason why I don't use it as a carry gun. It is one of my favorite guns to shoot but it is range only for now

Boolit Buddy
    Shoot a lot through my .327 FM Ruger BH.

I tried the Single Seven and had issues, so I sold it. Tried the new SP101 in .327 and ended up selling that when I found the BH.

From .32 S&W Long up to the .327 FM, I love the pistol itself and am constantly looking out for other pistols in that caliber(GP!).

A 100gr XTP over 5.0gr of W231 is a real flat shooter to 100 yards. I use a similar load for a LRNFP that a local guy casts.

I have a single seven. After a year I'm still experimenting with loads. I got a Mina 115 grain mold on a group buy and I saw loading data in a Handloader article from February 2015. I've settled, for now, on 10 grains of AA9 and it makes for a very spicy handful. The data says it could go as high as 12 grains but I found the top end less pleasant to shoot.

Moderator Emeritus

I traded my Target Patriot 4" CA 327 after a grip change on my Ruger 32 H&R. The accuracy level came to where it was all the 32 I needed. I kept the Pre regulation police 32 long for sentiment.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    And it would be nice to have S&W bring back their 631 3" with full underlug barrel and adjustable sights.Bob
    There would have to be a very large demand for this gun for S&W to reintroduce it again.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master

I have six .327 revolvers that have never fired a factory round. I have the SP101, GP100, three Single Sevens, and the LCR. Probably my favorite handgun round. They all seem to shoot like laser-beams. I am happy to share loads, but am away from home right now. I can later if there is any interest.

Boolit Master

great cartridge in a snubby. have an sp101, shoots nicely.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an SP-101 in the 4.2 inch barrel. It is becoming my favorite handgun. Just about anything you feed it will shoot pretty good. I have the RCBS-90 grain flat nose with fast powders is a good combo. I also have the Magma 93/wadcutter with fast to med. powders at target speeds does real good. The RCBS 100/swc and Magma's 100/round nose swc seems to like 880x and Blue Dot at close to max charges. I would recommend Three load books: Lyman cast manual 4th edition, Lyman 50th, and Ken Waters pet loads. My guns has loads in all three cases it will group under an inch at 25 yards. 32 s&w long, 32 h&r mag, and 327 federal mag. Based on my test loads the short bearing surface bullets like the lyman 77 and rcbs 90 likes fast powders no matter which case you use. I have had the most accurate loads from the 32 long and h&r cases. I have had moderate success with the 327 case until I started using slow pistol powders like 800X and Blue Dot. I hope this info is of some use to you. I think the 327 is one of the best platforms for a revolver and wish someone would market a levergun for it.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy

I have a Single Six in 32 H&R and a FA 97 in 327 with 32 H&R and 32-20 extra cylinders. I haven't had a chance to fire the FA yet as I got it fairly recently. I got the FA mainly for the 32 H&R which is my favorite cartridge. I love 32's and would buy a 327 BH in a heart-beat if I found one for a reasonable price. I'm not too crazy about the Single Seven only because of the cylinder length (too short) which restricts some of the CB's I like to use. I know you can shoot 32 H&R in the Single Seven but I prefer to shoot the H&R in a cylinder so chambered to minimize the space the boolit has to jump to get to the throat. It probably doesn't matter a whole lot but I prefer all the help I can get in the accuracy department. If I had money to spend on a Single Seven I'd probably use it for a nice used 32-20 even if it needed some tuning. Or, better yet, buy a BH with it and save additional funds to send in to a custom smith to re-chamber it in 327 or 32 H&R.

Boolit Master
    Let's see,,,, I have a Blackhawk in 327 that is a wonderful & accurate shooter,,, as well as a Buckeye convertible that has had the 32 H&R mag cylinder reamed for the 327,,, and I also have the 7-1/2" Single-Seven. I cast & load a fair amount of slugs that fall out of 2 Miha molds I bought. Flash in the pan? Not hardly. Would I buy another? Yep,,, if the fancy struck me.

Boolit Master
    I have a 3 inch SP101 in 327. I was not looking for it when I bought it. Went to the LGS to buy a mid 50s 16ga 870 I had heard about, the SP101 was traded in as I sat there and I added it to the deal due to the VERY low price and it had 5 boxes of factory ammo. Figured it for trade fodder until I shot some 311008 cast at around 1000 fps,, it is a keeper. Too loud for my taste at full steam and if I need more horse power I got bigger guns! I seem to have a craving for "kit guns" and this fits that bill. Also have a SW M31-1 in 32SWL and a Single Six in 32HR. I have shot the 32HRs and longs in the 327, it shoots all accurately but to different POI. My Sp 101 is fixed sight, elevation wise, so I have no use for shooting all the random variety of ammo. The SP101 gets 327 brass with 311008s and enough 231 to get 1000ish, the SS gets 32HR with NOE 100gr RCPS clone at about the same and the 31-1 uses the same noe at about 750. All of them will handle ground hogs, none are deer guns, works for me. I like the 327, same way I like 3inch 357 mags, nice that it is built for it but midrange loads do all I need.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

-I have the Blackhawk and a group buy Mihec mold. Good shooting with lubed boolets, am working on a powder coat load.
    -I would like a carbine length barrel for the Encore, (to hot for Contender, I think).
    -I wish my 10" barrel T/C 32-20 was the same bore size, would make things easier.
    -Had chance a little while ago to get a 32-20 Marlin lever gun.....I like to eat and flick them things on the wall for lights.......

I will pass my well shot and cared for .327 on to my son.

After a long search, I recently bought a lightly used S&W Model 632-1, 3" and am really happy with it. I was able to find a modest supply of American Eagle 100gr JSP ammo which is plenty hot! The small factory stocks resulted in a bruised knuckle that is still sore after 3 weeks but I couldn't stop shooting! I've since loaded and fired 100 rounds with a 120 gr LRNFP boolet from Colorado Cast Bullets over 6.8 gr of True Blue powder and with bigger stocks is much more fun to shoot. Accuracy is better than with the factory loads too. I am working to get even better accuracy (aren't we all) with other boolets and powder.
    As was stated in another post, this is a serious revolver! I consider it to be ideal for stream fishing and backpacking in the mountains; a kit gun with power. I think most people who have not shot one think 32ACP or something.
    I think this is the caliber that will finally get me to start casting my own boolets. More fun.
    A small lever action rifle would be great (Winchester 94-32M?) or an 8 3/8" K frame.
    Scott

Boolit Grand Master

Had the full set of Single 7s and a SP101 before a tragic boating accident. I really like the round. I do not like the SP101. It's trigger is horrible. I'm patiently waiting for someone to chamber it in a lever action. There is no need for this rifle. But I sure want one.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Had the full set of Single 7s and a SP101 before a tragic boating accident. I really like the round. I do not like the SP101. It's trigger is horrible. I'm patiently waiting for someone to chamber it in a lever action. There is no need for this rifle. But I sure want one.
    Not so sure about the no need, 327 would be great small game hunting round in a lever. I have even heard rumors of dear taken with 32-20. The 327 should be better than the 32-20.

Boolit Master
    I sure love mine. For some reason the topic always ends up in a fight with the bigger caliber crowd.
    I have no idea why. No one that has one really tries to make the case that it is significantly better or significantly worse than any other option.
    The only thing that is truly significant about it is its versatility and ability to fill many different jobs.
    Its pretty much unique in that ability.
    Any were from super light 32 short loads for squirrels, 32L loads for a little farther out, Then you can move up in power to the 32mag loading, Then load up some super butt whoopers in 327 mag.

With the single 7 you can color coat your case heads and load what ever variety you may need in the same cylinder.
    When a opportunity presents it self. Move the cylinder to the appropriate load for the task and have at it.
    I carried the Taurus M327 quite a bit and found it very comfortable to carry all day long. And is accurate and reliable.
    Would still carry it but the wife owned into it. Twice actually, I took it and she took it back.
    Its the perfect training caliber to train novices with. Simple principle and you can start low power and move up as their skills increase with out teaching them a new gun.

Its all Groovy with me.. Just want a lever action to go along with them.

My 327's are the three on the left. This image is proof positive that if you choose a 327 your not locked into only that caliber. You can have as many as you want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast