Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: RCBS Chargemaster vs Lyman Gen 5

Boolit Buddy

RCBS Chargemaster vs Lyman Gen 5

Anyone have experience with both? Both about the same price both seem to have good overall reviews. Trying to decide. Like the digital of the Lyman but I also am familiar with the RCBS great customer service. So it's down to recommendations if I can get any.
    PaGunBuilder. Learning to build the guns that shaped our country.

"Stand your ground! Don't fire unless fired upon! But if they want to have a war, let it begin here!"

I no experience with the LYman by I have had an RCBS for about 3 months and I like it. It is very precise and agrees with my RCBS 505 exactly. I am learning to trust it but still check it against the 505. Also it you spend 300 dollars with RSCS before the end of the year you can get a $75 rebate.
    Paul G

I am Retired, I was tired yesterday and I am tired today!!!

Boolit Master
    I'm an RCBS Chargemaster fan. I bought it last year and and couldn't be happier with it. It's more than fast enough and I trust it. It took a while for me to get over being suspicious it but no more...I'm a convert. The only problem I have anymore is that I don't have enough power outlets on my bench anymore.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    I just went through this same decision. I ended up with the Chargemaster. It came down to history, reliability, company service. The Lyman had too many instances of folks complaining about it going bad in 6 months with an ERR. Many RCBS stories of folks scales still working for years.
    Those stress balls really work..... When you get to shove them down a persons throat.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by standles View Post
    I just went through this same decision. I ended up with the Chargemaster. It came down to history, reliability, company service. The Lyman had too many instances of folks complaining about it going bad in 6 months with an ERR. Many RCBS stories of folks scales still working for years.

Exactly the same way I'm leaning. RCBS costumer service is 2nd to none.
    PaGunBuilder. Learning to build the guns that shaped our country.

"Stand your ground! Don't fire unless fired upon! But if they want to have a war, let it begin here!"

Boolit Master

dont have a lymann, but my chargemaster 1500 has been going strong for about 10yrs.

Boolit Master
    I know nothing about the Lyman but have about 3 or so years with the RCBS Chargemaster.It is the single best piece of reloading equipment I have ever bought......Terry

Boolit Buddy
    I bleed green. My chargemaster has not let me down in the 7 years I have had it. My powder master was just as reliable but slower. I don't know anyone that has used the newer Lyman's but know of a couple friends that didn't keep the earlier Lyman models very long before switching to RCBS.

Boolit Master
    Don't neglect calibrating your Chargemaster at the beginning of each session. I just had a situation where I was adjusting the powder measure on my Dillon 650. I dropped a charge in a case, weighed it on my Chargemaster, repeat until I got the charge I wanted, except I was never getting the charge I wanted. It was all over the place. I thought the powder measure was at fault.

Finally I got the bright idea to calibrate the Chargemaster...that fixed my powder measure problem. From now on I am going to calibrate my Chargemaster and then check it against a mechanical scale.

I don't believe you can trust an electronic scale unless you calibrate it at the beginning of every session and then check it against a known good mechanical scale. Once that's done, I'm ok with believing it.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    I sold my Chargemaster when I transitioned to a progressive press. The RCBS Chargemaster wasn't the champ out of the box(compared to the Lyman DSPIII I had at the time)

modfying the 'run' parameters are what, imo, set it apart. Thorough some googling you'll find how to re-calibrate the Chargemaster such that the delays between the charge phase and trickle are reduced. This modification did not alter accuracy but significantly increased speed. It was such that by the time I dropped the charge in the empty case, the next powder charge was dispensed--no delay. I can't remember the consistency in grains, but I'm sure it was negligible compared to the factory setting or else I wouldn't have done it

Boolit Buddy
    been a few people have issues with the C/M after the warranty was up and RCBS said tough luck , so Brownells was where I picked mine up as the will back it for life