Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 94 Winchester Sight opinions

Moderator Emeritus

For a receiver (peep) sight, I'd strongly recommend that you look into the Merit Iris apertures to fit whatever sight you get. They work like a camera shutter, and by simply turning the outer ring, the hole adjusts from a virtual pinhole for bright light very precise shooting, to at least a 1/8" hole for dimmer lights and faster sight acquisition for a quick, snap shot. They're absolutely the most versatile and useful addition you can make to any receiver sight, and they're only about $50, which for such a tiny and finely fitted instrument, is pretty much a bargain, IMO. And they can and will likely improve your shooting, particularly if you have astigmatism, wear glasses, and are diabetic like I am. Don't know what happened. One day I saw fine, and then .... it all went south. Gradually, but not all THAT gradually! They help me, but there's no such thing as a panacea. It's definitely something to consider if you have trouble with irons like I do these days. FWIW?

So, just a quick update on this subject. I took the new girl to the range over the weekend and was impressed that I was shooting around 4 inch groups at 100 yards on my first outing. More to follow.

Boolit Master

Good news BBailey and good shooting. What was the load you were shooting?
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

I got 100 rounds of factory Winchester 150g Jword ammo with the gun, so that's what I'm now playing with. I've now determined that I need a taller front sight, due to running out of elevation adjustment. Just ordered a nice old Marbles Ivory bead to play with. I continue to be amazed at how accurate this gun/sight combination is. I guess them old timers were on to something. It's a shame you don't see more of these combos around.

On a humorous note, you would not believe how mad I made this young man at the gun club last night. I was shooting as good a groups as he was, with his Tacticool AR rig(with optics). When I started ringing his 8" steel gong at 200 yds, he got flustered and left. Hah!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	179443

Last edited by bbailey7821; 10-25-2016 at 07:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I like the Lyman 66. It makes it easy to make elevation changes and/or to shoot different loads. Going back to the base zero is a snap.

Also, the screw-in apertures don't seem to help me shoot any better than the standard ghost ring.

Did some shooting this afternoon. Was really happy with the sight adjustments I made.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12