Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lube question

Boolit Mold

Lube question

I have a heated base plate and am using some black ALOX (that is what is was marked) lube. I am having issues with getting complete coverage in the lube ring. I cleaned the sizer die but still have to run some of them twice through the die. Is there something I nee to do with the lube or am I not adjusting right and need to add more pressure?

It could be an adjustment issue, either up or down, a pressure issue, as in not enough pressure, or a temperature issue, as in not enough heat. Without actually seeing the machine, and the way the bullets are coming out, it's hard to evaluate it properly.

There is a drawing of how to properly adjust the seating punch on the Star machines in the manual provided my Magma. Here's the link to the manual:

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Fred. The issue is there is about a 1/16 or smaller gap of no lube. I followed the video instructions on how to plug holes and measure and things got better. Didn't know is the lube is not getting soft enough.

Boolit Master

I had the same issue a couple years back. I figured the lube was too cold.
    Using BAC I had no issues. The harder carnauba red needed some heat to get flowing right.
    Winter months after not using my sizer for a while I had to learn all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    BAC? Sorry not up on the lingo

Boolit Master

It's a type of lube from white label lubes.
    It's much softer and doesn't require heat to flow unless its very cold in your reloading room.
    It can get a little too soft in the summer months though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might try turning up the heat just a tad. It doesn't take much adjustment at all, so don't get crazy turning it up. Once you make the adjustment, you might have to wait about 20 minutes or so for the new temperature to take affect.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    You might try turning up the heat just a tad. It doesn't take much adjustment at all, so don't get crazy turning it up. Once you make the adjustment, you might have to wait about 20 minutes or so for the new temperature to take affect.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    the key words here are JUST A TAD. because i guarantee that after it begins to fill out properly if the "tad" was a tad too much u will be amazed at the flow. eventually u will find the sweet spot and at that point u can mark the heat screw position on the housing.
    ROF....Retired Old Fart
    Lincoln freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone

Boolit Mold
    Its still pissing me off. The heater is a Lyman base with no adjustment. Maybe I am not leaving it on enough. How long should I leave it before I start? Could the black "Alox" lube be not as advertised?

I like to leave my heaters on for about half an hour before I start sizing/lubing. I turn them on and then go do something else for that half hour. I get perfect bullets right away by doing that.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Another thing you can do is use an old hairdryer to heat it up more quickly, and then let the heater base maintain the temperature. A couple of minutes of hot air on the reservoir and base of the Star should do it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Mold
    Thanks, I am willing to try anything.

When you apply heat with the hairdryer, don't have any pressure on the reservoir. Just heat up the machine and then experiment with the pressure for the more fluid lube.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master

I've used one of those heaters for over 20 years with a light dimmer as a control.
    Information not shared. is wasted.