Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: ? For 1873 owners

Boolit Master

? For 1873 owners

I am thinking about picking one in 38WCF and have a question about barrel length. I have only seen the 38WCF offered in the 19" carbine, 20" short rifle and 24" rifle listed on the Uberti site. The 73 action looks longer than the 92 Win and 94 Marlins I am used to using. Which barrel length do you think the 73 action feels best with? If anyone around me had them in stock I would just handle them and decide which feels right but none to be found. I do not shoot any of the cowboy kind of matches just shoot with the grandson at the range and carry for small and medium game hunting. Thanks

I've always liked the short rifle myself, 20" barrel over the carbine or rifle.

Boolit Master

I have always liked the longer barrels unless I'm crawling around in the brush. The standard length on an original was 24".

Boolit Grand Master

Depends more on your comfort than the cartridge. I agree with Ithaca - mine in 44-40 is a 20" short rifle. But that is personal preference.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    I also have the 20" barrel. Handles better for me.

Don Verna

What are you going to do with it? If you're going to hunt with it or carry it, you might want to consider a short barrel. The only lever rifle I really hunt with, or plan to hunt with is an 1873 Uberti .44 Magnum Carbine with a 19" barrel. My two original 1873 Winchesters, both 38-40's, have 24" barrels and I love them. I've done a lot of 200 yd. shooting with both of them and the long sight radius is really nice. I may hunt with the older one(1886 prod.), but it would be stand hunting. I've seen a few original '73's in 38-40 with short barrels, but I just never could warm up to them for some reason.

FYI, for not much more than
    the price of a Uberti, you can buy an antique 1873 Winchester.
    A little enticement for you:

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 10-13-2016 at 09:15 PM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is 24" And it's a 38 WCF. I love it, but never tried a shorter one so I'm kinda biased. They sure do shoot nice!

I prefer the 20" barrel on the carbines. The Short Rifle in 20" barrel length is quick, but I like the lighter carbines. My carbine is a 1980's vintage navy arms Uberti w/ a 20" tube. The more recent ones are 19" tubes with the sight on the barrel band. Mine has the sight on the barrel.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Master
    Nice looking rifle there 35Whelen. I have been looking for an original for shooting but have not found one with a nice bore that I could afford.

Boolit Mold
    Whether long or short barrel, definitely go for a rifle, not a carbine. If fitted properly, the rifle's forend hanger and magazine bearing should allow for the barrel to grow as it heats from firing without getting in a bind with the magazine tube. This is extremely difficult to accomplish with the carbine set up.

Boolit Buddy
    My only experience with the Model 1873 has come from a 24-inch rifle of 1892 vintage, quite coincidentally chambered for .38 W.C.F. Although my barrel is far from pristine (there is some pitting and erosion, especially in the final couple of inches near the muzzle), it will still turn in respectable accuracy (minute-of-soda-can) out to 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    Get both. I like the 24" on the range and the lighter carbine for hunting.

Boolit Master
    I have a Uberti 24" in 32-20. I really like the sight radius. I would have bought a 30" if they offered it in that caliber.

Moderator Emeritus
    I usually prefer the longer barrels but I picked up a new Uberti 1873 with a 19 1/2" barrel about a month ago, I was idly perusing the racks at the wholesalers waiting for my order to be completed and was looking at the 1873 carbines with no interest when I happened to pick up the label on one and saw it was in 38-40, well they are like hens teeth over here so I told them to add it to my order. I have to confess that I am taking more and more to these shorter guns as I shoot at shorter distances now only out to 300yrds and my ageing arms tend to ache, I still prefer the looks of the longer guns but for my applications I find the shorter rifle getting more and more appealing.

In saying that I put 100 44-40 BP rounds through my Uberti Henry today and loved every minute of it, maybe I am becoming a little less conservative in my tastes as I get older.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

The actions on all three will be the same. The 73 is a toggle link action and no matter the barrel length the action will be identical.
    It's bullet, not "boolit"
    SASS Regulator
    2016 SASS Eastern Division FCGF Champion
    '15 '16 PA St SASS GF Champion

I have an original '73 produced 1889 in .38-40, 24" octagonal barrel, and I have to say, there's a lot of weight out there past the forearm.

If I were buying a new one, I'd get a shorter barrel. I have a Rossi 92 with a 20" barrel. and I'm happy with it.

Boolit Master
    I have a Uberti 1873 Winchester clone in 38-40 that I use for CAS shooting. Before I bought mine, I tried the 20" and 24" 1873 rifles (in 44-40, though) from others in my posse. I decided to go with the 24" version. I have not been disappointed. The heavy front end holds steady for me. Of course, my very first gun was a Marlin 39A with the long heavy barrel and I shot ROTC target rifles in High School (also with heavy barrels). So, I was used to that kind of feel.

Boolit Master
    I like the 24 inch octagon or half octagon-half round barrels.
    Winchester made a few '73s with 20 inch octagon barrels, but like a half octagon-half round barrel with full length magazine, the 20 inch octagons are a bit of a rarity.

Also like the trapper's models and the muskets.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Bub
    I've got a few old levers and I seem to find the 38-40 to be one of my favorites. I have shot this old 1873 in 2 lever action silhouette matches so far and have done pretty good with it. It's a 24" and i think it balances well.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk